+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Ok AJ I was curious so I looked it up. The Primary Class Size Cap is an Ontario project.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/research/PCS.pdf
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Well Duxxy, I am glad that the school is going to do his psychological eval sooner rather than later. Still, it should have been done as soon as this kid entered the district. As it is now, everyone is busy getting the IEPs ready for next year. They would have had more time to deal with the psychological in the fall rather than now, their busiest time of the year.

If other kids are taunting him, that has to stop. The teacher has to be able to control what is going on in that classroom and should make it very clear that there will be repercussions to any sort of bullying by the others. It really is not fair to that kid if the others are doing that to him just to get a rise out of him.

And, yes, most definitely your number one main concern is for your child's safety. I would stay on top of it, as I am sure you will. I think the principal is well aware that you are going to stay on top of it too! Don't back down.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I agree w/MamaC! Don't forget to make surprise visits! That always seemed to keep them on their toes, in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3380384;
    Whoa, kind of harsh isn't it?
    I agree Unk. My youngest had ADHD and also anger control issues and punishing anger with anger or violence with violence is just not the way to handle that type of situation. I'm not saying that you condone beating children Smartguy24. Sometimes a swat on the butt is just what a kid needs. I have found that kids with anger issues need to be dealt with in a calm but firm manner. Reacting with anger only fuels their own. But there must be consequences for their behavior.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

My son, who has been sneaking around my back for a week, is on a date with his new girlfriend and her family. Tee hee... I don't wish that kind of pressure on anyone!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3381060;
    I agree Unk. My youngest had ADHD and also anger control issues and punishing anger with anger or violence with violence is just not the way to handle that type of situation. I'm not saying that you condone beating children Smartguy24. Sometimes a swat on the butt is just what a kid needs. I have found that kids with anger issues need to be dealt with in a calm but firm manner. Reacting with anger only fuels their own. But there must be consequences for their behavior.
    No, I certainly don't condone beating children. But the strap seemed to work just fine back in the day (or so I hear, I'm not that old ).

And certainly, kids with behavioral problems that stem from psychological issues are an entirely different kettle of fish.

I'm not trying to be harsh by suggesting the leather strap be brought back. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that the balance of power in the classroom has slowly shifted too far in the direction of the select few bad apples who have been given WAY too much control over an entire class. And why is that exactly? The teacher is powerless to do anything because, quite frankly, they can't; unless they want the parents who think the world of little Dennis the Menace to sue the pants off them. Not right. Not right at all.
    Last edited by smartguy24; 03-14-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Ugh... my poor kid. Yesterday we were out shopping with my mom, M carries a backpack with her containing all of her "essentials", a drink, her mp3 player, her Nintendo DS, lipgloss, a stupid singing Hannah Montana pen that I despise, a notebook as well as her wallet and change purse.
    Well little miss had a drink of her apple juice but cross threaded the lid when she put it back on the bottle. It leaked and ruined everything! Over $200 worth of her fave things *poof* gone. My husband's first reaction was "you never put liquid in with electronics" I rolled my eyes at him. I know it was a pretty big loss, and it was her Christmas present to boot but the kid feels bad enough. He felt bad this morning so he told her that instead of having to replace the DS herself that we would each put in a third, since hubby and I use it too. So now she has to earn $50 in allowance to repay us for her share.
    It was an accident but it's turned into a very important and expensive lesson for kiddo. I think she will treat the new DS like gold since her hard earned money went into it.
    Last edited by Duxxy; 03-23-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Ha. I hear ya. My daughter came home once when she was riding a motorcycle with her laptop and a drink in her backpack. You can figure that one out. Luckily she had a full insurance thing on the laptop and they replaced it, but she lost everything that was on it.
    Count your blessings!

I don't think its only kids who make costly mistakes like those. I've been known to do some things that, looking back, seemed just plain stupid. But, hindsight is always 20/20.

So Duxxy, did you replace the Hannah Montana pen too?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ya won't catch me replacing that stupid singing pen. Same bit of song over and over and over again. *shudder*

+ Reply to Thread