+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

I called the principal today and he told me that his mandate is to provide an education to all children living in the school district who are legally entitled to go to school.
    That's a big issue that got me out of "teaching" in the public schools. By the principals' and school boards' interpretation of that mandate as having to kid-glove and cater to the kids with disruptive behavior problems, whose parents won't make the effort to discipline and control them, and who have no interest in learning, teachers are unable to provide an education to the rest of the class.

(Of course, that's part of what keeps my freelance tutoring business alive and well -- kids who want to excel and be challenged, but aren't receiving that sort of education in their schools because the non- or under-performing kids are receiving all the attention.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Duxxy, your story sounds eerily familiar. Our second grader mentioned to his dad a while back that they had "safety" three times that day. Seems that one little boy in the room has behavioral issues and when he gets completely out of hand the teacher says SAFETY and the kids evacuate the room and let him throw his tantrum with the teacher there to watch him and see that he doesn't hurt himself. Luckily their class room is right across from the secretaries office so I guess when she sees them empty into the hall she watches them or sends for someone to do it. We have sympathy for this child but our kid is first priority for us. My son was up there the next morning and had a talk with the principal and she offered to change our kid to another class. He didn't want to change and who could blame him since he'd been in that class for half the year by then? I haven't heard any more about it so he either settled down or they transferred him I guess. It's also possible that our kid just isn't saying anything so that he won't have to leave his classmates, who knows? This reminds me of back in the seventies when our high school kid had to evacuate the building numerous times a day because of bomb threats.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

It seems a shame that one or two can spoil it for everyone else. I realize that everyone has rights, but shouldn't majority rule? We had a special classroom for disruptive kids.

And the child needs to be made to behave. I know that's probably easier said than done, but especially a child who is 5' 6" and in the 3rd grade. It seems to me that if the child knows that the teacher and other adults aren't allowed to touch him that gives him free range to destroy everything in his path until he calms down. I'm wondering if there are any consequences for his bad behavior. I'm sure it puts his teachers in a really tough spot. Not being able to do much in case they physically hurt him and then have to deal with a possible law suit or child abuse allegation.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Have you talked to other parents about this? Or the teacher? I say get a group gathered and dicuss this at the very next superintendent's meeting if your school district has them.

Also, another angle is to talk to the school psychologist or the district's head of special services and tell them that this kid needs to be evaluated pronto and tell them why!

I wonder if the kid's parents were delinquent in getting the kid's American school records into the new school's system. Surely, his behaviour would have been noted on his old school records.

In special ed here in my school district, every student has an annual review to see which services will be needed for the coming year. These meetings consist of the regular classroom teacher, the special ed teacher, any therapists involved with the child (speech, occupational, behavioural, etc.), the school pyschologist, etc. Every couple of years, the child undergoes psycological tests to determine where they stand. Sounds like this kid needs a complete psychological test, which should have been done when he registered with your district. To say that the school has not gotten around to it yet is baloney. Demand that this be done asap.

A lot of kids in special ed do well in the mainstream classrooms. Others, however, have disabilities that make it necessary that they only be placed in special ed. I know in my district we do have a class of kids with severe behaviour problems. They are not in the mainstream classes at all.

Are these two kids just recently behaving this way or has it been all year long
    ?

Luckily here, by the time they reach middle school, there is in-school suspension. If you act out in my class whether you have an IEP or not, you get sent to ISS. We have non-negotiable building rules and #1 is that no student has the right to disrupt instruction.
    Count your blessings!

Dux, I'm sorry to hear that. My kids have had special needs children in their classes but our experiences have been really positive, which may have been largely due to the fact that these children have had their own TA. Are you saying that a single teacher has to control a child with a major behavioural problem? That's insane. The teacher should have some recourse. I'd be filing a union grievance pretty quick for a start. I can't believe such a high-needs child doesn't have his/her own TA.

Did you say "federal mandate" when talking about classroom size? Because my kindergartener has 25 kids in her class. However, there is a full-time TA, parent helpers, and the teacher has had student teachers most of the school year.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3376296;
    It seems to me that if the child knows that the teacher and other adults aren't allowed to touch him that gives him free range to destroy everything in his path until he calms down. I'm wondering if there are any consequences for his bad behavior. I'm sure it puts his teachers in a really tough spot. Not being able to do much in case they physically hurt him and then have to deal with a possible law suit or child abuse allegation.
    Ain't that the truth. Society is so soft on kids nowadays, it's ridiculous.

They never should have done away with the leather strap.

Quote Originally Posted by smartguy24;3380350;
    They never should have done away with the leather strap.
    Whoa, kind of harsh isn't it?
    Last edited by Unklescott; 03-11-2009 at 08:23 PM.

AJ I may be making an assumption about 'federal mandate' it might possibly be provincial (I'm too tired to look it up right now) but class sizes are limited to 20 kids per class for JK- gr3. It's created many split classes
    I talked to the principal again today, the same kid was verbally antagonized and taunted by a girl in class and he retaliated by pushing her chair. The principal tells me that some of the kids have figured out his triggers and goad him into a reaction - this is usually happening during lunch time so the boy has been pulled out of the class and eats alone outside the principal's office.
    As ticked as I am that the kid isn't getting the obvious (to me) help that he needs (immediately - as I was assured that the school board has accelerated his testing to have him diagnosed and placed quickly) I feel sorry for the kid that his lack of social development has put him in this position.
    My first priority is my kid and her safety and well being, when that is established my secondary concern is getting the kid the help he needs. The longer he stays in a classroom that doesn't have the resources to help him the more damage his 9 yr old pysche will incurr. The principal pretty much told me to worry about my own kid and the parents would worry about this other kid.I think he was a little ticked too that I am keeping track of this kid's outbursts (as told to me by my kiddo) in her official school agenda - in plain sight.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread