+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;3320293;
    Sorry, ClosetRT, you're uncool no matter what your age. I'm a younger parent too and my 12-year-old calls me old and out-of-touch. She refuses to wear anything I pick out, makes jokes about my lame music, the usual.
    We actually sometimes overlap in our taste in music. HOWEVER, we were at a football game over the summer and he actually was completely mortified that I knew all the words to Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffet. I grew up listening to that song! At least I didn't jump up on the bleachers and start singing it for everyone else. When you think about, he really should be thanking me...
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 02-13-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo

My son is 18 and is just getting over the total embarrasment about having parents. He and his girlfriend actually go out with us sometimes. So hang in there - there's hope!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;3320484;
    My son is 18 and is just getting over the total embarrasment about having parents. He and his girlfriend actually go out with us sometimes. So hang in there - there's hope!
    I've always said it's our revenge on them because when they were 3 they embarrassed us by yelling: "I HAVE TO POOP" in a crowded restaruant.

Closettvwatcher, I think you should have stood up and sang it. I know all the words too.
    My daughter's friends think I'm cool. But my daughter? NO WAY. Her friends give it to her about it too. I love her friends.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I make valentines by cutting pictures out of magazines and improvising from there. To my 22 year old daughter I sent one that was a women's product ad made to look like a kid's store bought valentine. It read, "Roses are red, so is your period." I put it on a fancy background and added some cut out hearts. She said her roommates cracked up and even though they've never met me they think she has the funniest mom ever.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Gut, that is too funny. But the key to that sentence is she is 22 years old. If the word teen appears behind the number in a kids age, then we are n ot cool, no matter what we do.
    Although, we had a guest last night that my child has never met. She came in, shook hands with him, sat down and carried on a polite, interesting discussion with him. I was sitting there with my mouth open thinking: "maybe the pod people brought her back". Of course, this morning, back to normal. But at least she didn't embarass me last night. So she can behave and be pleasant and polite, just not to us so much. So there's hope for the future.

But my friend said we had a very well spoken and interesting daughter and we should be proud of her. (we are. Just that we get more attitude from her than anything else right now)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3321708;
    Although, we had a guest last night that my child has never met. She came in, shook hands with him, sat down and carried on a polite, interesting discussion with him. I was sitting there with my mouth open thinking: "maybe the pod people brought her back". Of course, this morning, back to normal. But at least she didn't embarass me last night. So she can behave and be pleasant and polite, just not to us so much.
    I drove my son to a local store tonight so that he could pick up some batteries that he needed for his XBox. I sat in the car and watched him hold the door open for the elderly woman that was leaving while he was entering. He totally gets how to be a gentleman except when it involves his mother.We're still working on that.

I've been exasperated by my 20 year old son and his many immature problems he gets himself into. Then when I was swimming today, it came to me all the things I was doing when I was his age, and suddenly his parking tickets, credit problems, and multiple girlfriends are very tame compared to the wild thing I was. Count your blessings, indeed!
    Count your blessings!

From momlogic.com Dora the Explorer Gets Extreme Makeover | Momlogic
    Dora the Explorer Gets Extreme Makeover
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009
    filed under: kid
    She's now a tweenager, goes to middle school, and has moved to the big city. Will she have acne, too?

Mattel and Nickelodeon have announced that Dora the Explorer is growing up.

Gina Sirard, vice president of marketing for Mattel, says: "Girls really identify with Dora and we knew that girls would love to have their friend Dora grow up with them, and experience the new things that they were going through themselves."

As a tween, Dora has moved to the big city, attends middle school and has a whole new fashionable look. She will also have a rich online world, a la Webkinz, in which girls can explore, play games, customize, and solve mysteries with Dora and her new friends.

Wanna see? Nickelodeon and Mattel plan to keep Dora's new look a secret until the brand launch in Fall 2009. And start saving those pennies: The Dora Links fashion doll, for children five years and up, will retail for approximately $59.99.

We're not sure what to think about this proposed new look. We like Dora just the way she is, and are not huge fans of cartoon makeovers in general. But a kindergartener we know recently rejected a Dora toy for being too "babyish" (this, from a five-year-old), so maybe they're onto something.

What do you think about Dora's upcoming makeover?
    What a baaaaad idea. Dora won't be able to shake her 'babyness' and if Nic is trying to hold onto girls that will be moving on to High school Musical and Hannah Montana (Disney et al) I really don't think they will succeed.. besides for $60 the doll better do a heck of a lot more than sit on a shelf and collect dust while kiddo plays on the computer.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

And what about the little girls? My granddaughter is 2 and she absolutely adores Dora. I doubt if she will identify much with a teenager though. I guess I will have to buy up a bunch of the old Dora DVD's to have on hand for her.

I am so ticked off right now, I have to vent.
    My kiddo is in grade 3. By Federal mandate there can be no more than 20 kids in a classroom from jk-3. Of the 19 other kids in my kid's class, 2 have behavioural issues. I understand integration, for the most part I agree with it.... until it becomes disruptive or dangerous.
    The 2 with BI are both boys, one of them is probably 5'6 and close to 200lbs and has earth-shaking tantrums which includes overturning desks, breaking the teachers chair, the overhead projector and throwing a bench during PE class. When he starts one of his tirades THE CLASS IS EVACUATED - the child stays in the classroom. The staff is not allowed to physically touch him to restrain or remove him. WTF?? seriously?? So you evacuate 19 kids, for their personal safety (thank goodness) interrupt lessons to give him space and time to calm down? IMO the school tried to integrate, at this point they should admit defeat and place him in a program that will address his needs.
    I called the principal today and he told me that his mandate is to provide an education to all children living in the school district who are legally entitled to go to school. The gist is: here's the kid, teach him, figure the rest out.
    The other boy with issues used a pair of scissors last week to poke himself in the chest until he finally drew blood. My kid came home and told me that T 'stabbed himself' and I didn't believe her (in my defense M has a very active imagination and is a prolific storyteller and drama queen) So this psychopath is in the same class.
    Honestly! The more we strive to 'include' and equalize the more imperiled our kids' education becomes. I'm pissed and I don't know what my next move is.
    Oh.. one more thing, I asked the principal "what will it take to get the kid out of the class or school and into a school that has proper facilities for him?" I was told that he would have to be clinically diagnosed and the testing needs to be completed by the end of grade 3 (which is in June!!) in order for him to be placed in a behavioural program. This kid is not Canadian, he's American, (dad married a Canadian and they only came to Canada last year) so he hasn't been in the Canadian school system long enough to be evaluated and tested.
    The principal told me that he wasn't sure what it would take to get him removed - possibly being charged by police! WTF you have to let it get that far before you can do something?? It just so backward.

It makes me want to scream.
    Last edited by Duxxy; 03-09-2009 at 11:08 AM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread