+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

They certainly keep us on our toes! That is for sure!
    Yup, with donuts!!

If a business can pay an employee "under the table", it saves them a lot of money. They don't have to match his social security, or pay unemployment, or worker's comp insurance. I don't see that much benefit to the employee. The only expense he would save is his share of social security because he would probably make so little that he would get back all his federal and state income taxes.

There are also child labor laws governing the types of machinery that minors are allowed to use, so that could be a danger too. It's illegal to pay someone under the minimum wage, even if what he was doing was considered contracted labor, which I'm pretty sure what he would be doing isn't. They can legally pay a "training wage" for up to 3 months, I think it is. At least that's the law in my state. I'd tell him to keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3304271;
    I have just the thing for you Bunny555 to silence the son: (THE LOOK)
    That is priceless gabriel.....I don't know which would stop him in his tracks faster the Mona or the Mom "look"

Bunny: If he's interested in working at an auto repair shop, you might suggest getting him to check out one of the "Xpress" oil change places. My brother co-owns/manages one and they are always hiring high school boys (I say boys because very few girls want to get THAT dirty ). It is "grunt-work" - cleaning up and disposing of oil and doing boring things like "safety checks" to make sure that customer's lights/wipers/etc. are working, but it's not under the table pay and usually offers really flexible schedules. My brother has a few former employees who have gone on to make pretty good money working as mechanics. AND - there is the added perk of discounted oil changes for you!

Also, our vet hires high school students to walk/feed/clean up after the animals being boarded there. That might be an option to consider. W still occasionally see a young man who used to work there and he never fails to ask about Henry!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

My son learned a lesson about working under the table.
    He was in a car accident, and had purchased insurance that would cover his payment if he lost his job. Since he was working under the table, the employer refused to fill out the paper work, and fired him.
    He hasn't been able to find another job - and rumor is the former employer gave him a bad reference for 2 prospective employers. He had worked for this man for 2 years - overtime, called in and never missed, holidays...etc.
    All for what...and extra buck or so an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3303369;
    Thanks to everyone for their input. My son and I fought over this tonight. His argument...."You wanted me to find a job, I found a job and now you don't want me to take it". To be continued I guess........
    I hope that didn't stop you. As I used to say to my sister when her daughter walked all over her, "Who's in charge here?".
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3307171;
    Also, our vet hires high school students to walk/feed/clean up after the animals being boarded there. That might be an option to consider. W still occasionally see a young man who used to work there and he never fails to ask about Henry!
    I never thought of that doxie. He does volunteer work at a local rescue organization so your idea is definitely one that I'll mention to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3307188;
    I hope that didn't stop you. As I used to say to my sister when her daughter walked all over her, "Who's in charge here?".
    What I meant by "To be continued" was that once we've diagreed on a subject around here, we'll generally discuss it into the ground. My kids definitely know who's in charge but that doesn't mean that they won't make themselves heard.

Thanks everyone for your input.....it's invaluable to me!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3308773;

What I meant by "To be continued" was that once we've diagreed on a subject around here, we'll generally discuss it into the ground. My kids definitely know who's in charge but that doesn't mean that they won't make themselves heard.

!
    That's what happens around here. It will get discussed to death, but ultimately we are in charge. But my daughter definetly makes herself heard, as well she should. That's how we raised her. Makes life difficult at times, but again, we didn't want her to be a doormat either. I said to my husnand not long ago: We raised her to have her own opinion and now we have to listen to it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Once a year my place of employment rounds up volunteers to go out to the local schools to do a project with kids and to help encourage them to consider future careers in engineering. It is usually middle school and sometimes 5th or 9th grade. It is actually a lot of fun for the kids and the volunteers. So the other evening I asked my oldest son what hour he has science (he is 15 and in 9th grade). He told me and asked why and I said we were getting ready to sign up for classes for this program. He looked at me and said "You're not...really ...coming to my school....?" Argh! Why do they have to reach this age when they no longer want us involved???

A couple of days later I told him that I would not volunteer for his class if he did not want me to. He backed off his original stance and said that he didn't mind. Seriously, I'm not the kind of parent who goes out of my way to mortify my children. Plus, I am probably younger than any of his friends' parents. Isn't that, by definition, supposed to make me more cool!?!?

Sorry, ClosetRT, you're uncool no matter what your age. I'm a younger parent too and my 12-year-old calls me old and out-of-touch. She refuses to wear anything I pick out, makes jokes about my lame music, the usual.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread