+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 572 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154554 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Are we still talking self-defense?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

on vacation
    This is a very interesting topic to me because my father collects guns. I grew up in house full of them and some of you know that I work in law enforcement (but I'm not a police officer.) To this day, I am deathly afraid of guns. I was raised to respect them and I do and I know that there are people who are very careful and use the utmost safety when using them but it's always been that accident that scares the bejeebus out of me.

That said, I've never had one in my own home. My son was taught hunter's safety and uses a gun when he hunts with our family but I won't have one in my house. I also don't know that I buy the protection idea either. I respect anyone else's right to have one but I think that the chance of an accident in your home shooting the wrong person in an emergency or an accident with a curious child far outweigh the benefit of feeling safe because you have a gun. Just remember that ANY weapon you have in your home can be used against you too.

Just my 2 cents.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Are we still talking self-defense?
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Gun Safety classes are an excellent idea for those who choose to own one. My dad also had guns as I was growing up. I was never interested in them though. I was always a little afraid of them. But my dad made my brothers and sister go to gun safety classes when each of them was about 10-12 years old. Every one of them were avid hunters and completely understood the awesome power of guns. My dad made sure of that. I never went because I didn't want anything to do with them as a child. As an adult they scare heck out of me.
    I agree with all who say education is extremely important.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Ohhh...this subject is one of my buttons.

For those of you like SG, I'll grant you that having a gun in your house may be a necessary evil. But Paulie, I'm sorry, the thought of someone keeping one between his mattresses...I actually felt ill when I read that. To say I hate guns would be the understatement of the year, and I admit I have very personal reasons why. In Canada we don't have the same gun culture that Americans do - for instance, I don't know anyone who keeps a handgun, and the only people I know with rifles are in my husband's family, who are from a rural area and are hunters. So fortunately, I don't have to worry (much) about my kids visiting other homes.

I don't even think I can make a rational argument because I'm too emotional about this subject, so I'll put it this way...Michael Moore was my hero after I saw Bowling for Columbine.

spegs, we keep a baseball bat handy here too *just in case*.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    I 'm finding the discussion on guns very interesting, but back to my original question, I would like to know what others think about playing with toy guns and their symbolism.
    I support the right to arm bears.

I'm Canadian too and I'm in the same situation that AJ is in, no guns in the homes of anyone that I know, my in laws do have guns but they are kept in the rafters of the garage (2400 km from us) and they are only taken out during hunting season. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my daughter playing at a home that had guns on display, she's 4 and no matter how often I tell her that guns are dangerous I just KNOW that she couldn't keep herself from exploring. (last summer she looked me dead in the face before she jumped off the side of the swimming pool- into the deep end (she had been warned repeatedly against it)) - that's the personal side of it. From a business standpoint there is actually a question on our health and safety checklist (for Provincial Standards Home visits) asking if there are any firearms in the home, how they are stored and you need to submit a copy of ownership and license. The first time the program supervisor asked me 'are there any firearms in the home?' I snorted!! and laughed, then I figured out she was serious and she said, you'd be surprised at how many providers do have firearms.

I have a boy that will be 4 in June and this kiddo will make anything into a gun. I can't tell you how many times he's be restricted from using Legos, playdoh and/or Mega blocks because he made a gun out of them. He points his homemade guns at his friends, me and himself in the mirror! I know dad is a hunter but I also know their guns are kept at camp. I asked mom and dad several times about his behaviour and they both shrugged and said 'couldn't tell ya' ... well kiddo told me. Dad bought him a green water gun a few months ago and he's encouraged to play with it. I asked the parents about it and they said oh yeah, that thing! He squirts us and the dog and his sibs. This is not an example of good gun owners.

In answer to your question Chomp: I think that it is bad in all incidences for children to be allowed to emulate or play with toy guns. They have no faculty to differentiate between real and make-believe and until they are of an age when education would supersede their inherent curiosity I think it's best that guns and all reference to them should be shielded from our children. Very much JMO
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Sorry chomp

Toy guns: I don't even allow my kids to have water pistols. My MIL gave my oldest a couple and I confiscated them. My husband thinks I'm too strict about toy guns but he does support me. I will not have my kids point ANY object at me or each other and *pretend* to shoot. I also don't allow video games in the house period (my oldest is allowed on kid-friendly websites and is permitted to play Dora and Disney Princess computer games, though), as too many of them involve gunplay.

I'm know my kids have visited homes where there's toy guns. I can't control it and I can't impose my rules on other parents. I'm sure we have toys that other parents may not approve of, either. Guns are a sticking point with me. I just have girls so it's not too hard to uphold the no-guns rule. If we had a boy it would probably be more of an issue. JMO.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Thanks, guys. I feel that way about toy guns, also, but I didn't know if I was just being an overly sensitive, over protective Momma Bear. When Lil Chomp was 2, he went to a birthday party were he was given a water gun as a party favor. UGH! That thing was in the trash before we even got home.
    I support the right to arm bears.

As someone who grew up with two bratty older brothers, I can say that water guns aren't just innocent fun. I can't tell you how many times those brothers went for my eyes. I hate water guns. Kids point water guns at other kids - that's the point of them, and I'd be like you, AJ with the gun in the trash.

My husband thinks I'm too strict about it too. I think God knew what he was doing when he gave me a girly girl.

+ Reply to Thread