+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

^^^I don't think its the formula either. He eats all the time, but he's also very active, running around all day

I'm a "no" vote for formula causing him to be thin. My son was fed formula and he was a little on the chunky side until he started running around. He's been on the thin side ever since. He's 17 now and eats from the time his feet hit the floor in the morning until his butt hits the bed at night. And he's still thin. I think it's a genetic thing.

I'm a no vote as well. My friend has three boys all who were on formula. One is skinny, one is chunky and one is in between. It is genetics.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

you friggin genetic people with your fast metabolisms tick me off! My poor kiddo has my metabolism so we are trying to keep her in a healthy lifestyle. She's 8 and we have her on the tredmill just about every night. Thank goodness she likes it. Unfortunately she's still a chunky monkey.

Formula fed or breast fed I can tell you from experience (53 kids in 7 years!) that it's all in the genes. "Milk babies" do tend to be on the chunkier side until they start walking and breast fed babies seem to be thinner but there are exceptions to every rule! I have 1 right now that is 18mos. 10lbs at birth, breast fed, VERY chunky, when he graduated to table food and started walking he remained chunky... to top it all off he's a light eater. His older brother was also 10lbs at birth, breast fed (same mom ) thin as a rail. He got even thinner when he started walking and the kid eats like a horse. The eldest son resembles dad's side of the family and the baby resembles mom's side. Beware the genes! lol
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MRD

Count me in as one of the no's to the formula making him thin. I wouldn't worry about him being thin as long as he eats well. My dr. told me that at that age, it isn't so much what they eat in a day, but in a week that counts. So if he eats nothing but cherrios and milk today, but veggies and some meat tomorrow, it should be ok.

I was actually given a "guideline" as to the approx. amounts and types of food my daughter should be eating at that age (age 2-3). My daughter did not eat anywhere CLOSE to the amounts suggested and it freaked me out and the doctor said that as long as her height and weight were in the right "range" she was fine.

You can always ask the pediatrician at your son's next checkup too. But I think some kids are destined to have certain body types and as long as they are healthy, that should be the only concern.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'd always heard the exact opposite was true - that breast-fed babies were leaner than formula-fed ones. Anyway, my girls were both breastfed initially, then switched to formula. The oldest was 6 lbs 15 oz at birth, while the youngest was 7 lbs 2 oz. My oldest is thin and average height, while my youngest is off the charts for height and weighs only 10 pounds less than her sister, who's four years older. My husband's family are all big, tall people, whereas my family is much smaller. There's your genetic factors at work. But more important, as others have said, is a healthy diet and exercise. My MIL thinks I'm too strict about what my kids eat, but the girls' doctor says they're in perfect shape.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

that's good Ukranian peasant stalk AJ, just like my kiddo LOL she is 98th percentile for height, weight and head circumference LMAO
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

My kids were all exclusively breast fed for the first several months and were over the top of the height and weight scales. Now my son's 6'5 and the girls are taller than my 5'8".
    Count your blessings!

Dang it! I knew there was a reason my son wasn't that tall........just kidding. His father is 5'6 and I'm 5'3 so his height may get to 5'7 if I hold my breath long enough!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2843270;
    Dang it! I knew there was a reason my son wasn't that tall........just kidding. His father is 5'6 and I'm 5'3 so his height may get to 5'7 if I hold my breath long enough!
    I'm 5'3 too and my kids' Dad is 5'9...I have no idea why my kids are as tall as they are. My 18 year old daughter is 5'9 and my 15 year old son is 6' and growing as we speak......and for what it's worth, they were both formula babies.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread