+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Yes, CAPT, is a state-mandated standardized test that all public school students in Connecticut must take. Students in some districts must pass to graduate high school. The test is given to all students in their sophomore year; if the state goal is not met, students must retake the sections they do not pass until they meet goal. I have one child who is a high honors student and the other has a slight learning disability, neither have ever done well with this type of testing.

Oh, and we used to be big Franklin fans in this house too. Such a sweet series.
    CYA

I think the teachers should have to take those tests... without an answer key.

Learning/Teaching styles have a lot to do with how well kids do on the tests. In Ontario our kids are tested in grades 3, 6, 9 and 10 (literacy)
    I know these are supposed to measure basic fundamentals but there is just too much diversity between Toronto and Soo Lookout (very rural) to get an acurate reading IMO.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

HSPA is the High School Proficiency Assessment. I don't know what CAPTs are - probably more of the same. It does put a lot of stress on the kids, because they know if they don't pass them, they don't graduate. Even if they have an A average! However, my son said, if you don't pass now, you take them again in the Fall. If you don't pass then, there are "special" HSPA classes that they put you in to make sure you pass. To me, that's a waste of a year - especially if the kid is a good student, but just doesn't do well on those long tests. Yesterday was the math portion - three hours of math! Today is English Part I (whatever that is) and tomorrow is English Part II.

So on the radio this morning the hosts set up a donation account for a mom and 7 yr old son who lost everything in a fire this past weekend. It's a sad story really. Mom is newly divorced, moved here 2 months ago, forgot a pot of hot oil on the stove and their whole lives went up in smoke.
    My kiddo really likes the radio host, she's met him a couple of times and it just so happens that I went to school with his sister and M is named for her (I liked her name so much I remembered it for 14yrs until M was born)
    So...
    M picked up the phone and called in to Dave. She donated $20 of her birthday money and I handed her a brand new set of hot wheels cars for him too.
    I'm so darned proud I could bust. $20 is not a lot in the big picture but it is her own and she gave it freely. Empathy is not an easy concept for little ones to grasp.

That was a very generous and self-less thing your daughter did, Duxxy. You should be very proud of her. A lot of people feel compassion in those situations, but don't put that compassion into action.

You should be proud of your M.

MRD

THat is wonderful Duxxy. Compassion and generosity is learned at home. You've done a great job with her. And tell her that we're all proud of her too. What a wonderful thing for her to do.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That is great, Duxxy. Sounds like your daughter has compassion. Good for her.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Wow duxxy that is great. Doesn't it just warm your heart when your kids do something like that? You have every right to be proud of her, heck I am too.

The radio station raised $6,600 in cash and there were many more donations of clothing, beds, essentials, an x-box with games the list is very long. The mom is a nurse at a long term care facility so one of the uniform shops in town gave her 3 brand new uniforms. The donations were all being dropped off at Big Brothers, the family is taking what they need and the rest will go to help others.
    There have been a few fires in town lately but they were all single family homes and everyone was insured thank goodness. It's amazing how many people don't know about content insurance. It's only about $200/yr and it is a safety net.
    I was very proud that my kiddo put it together that this little guy her own age now had nothing and she gave him a little bit of something that was her own.

+ Reply to Thread