+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

I would see where this goes. I would agree with schmoo2 that they are most likely investigating the mother. Wouldn't be surprised if she has done other things.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

That mother sounds off to me too. I would wait and see if they contact her to come in. If they do, I'd be there to confront her for sure.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Oh, buglover, I wish I had read your post about half an hour ago... My daughter called and said the boy's mom came in after school to talk to the principal. I'd have loved to be there just to get all this cleared up, whatever it is that she's trying to do. I'm really confused and don't understand what her goal is in doing all of this. It doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for the calming advise, everyone. I'll see if I get a phone call this afternoon or tomorrow...

Hang in there remote goddess. I have a tendancy to work myself into a tizzy over stuff and then realize it had nothing to do with me or mine. I have to say though if it were my son this happened to, I would have gone to the mother and probably made things much worse!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Well, as the mother of 3 school age kids, I don't think confronting a parent you don't know is necessarily the way to go, or even safe, IMO. We see too many news articles of hockey, cheerleading etc., parents ending up in a violent confrontation, and even dead. If you are invited in for a mediated conference that is another thing, but showing up at another parent's appointment would probably shift the attention on to you as the "troublemaker". If your daughter has an exemplary record, and you are satisfied with her explanation, I would try not to sweat it. I have 2 in a prep school and one graduated from one, so I know what you are worried about. This seems like a fairly minor incident to me, and I bet the school sees it the same way. Remember, they have to do the politically correct thing and talk to both sides.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

You were right. The principal told me it is essentially a "non-issue" for my daughter, but as a technicality it has to be addressed with both students and their parents. She said not to worry about it, and that it was handled and finalized.

You are also right about meeting with the mother. Although I have met her before, at various school funtions, I do not "know" her and I have probably not said a dozen words to her. I think I have a tendancy to be over-protective and "mama-bear"-ish, and would likely come across as the psycho-mom in a confrontation situation. I'll stay away from that, I promise...

Glad it all worked out remote! It's hard not to react, I'm the same way too. But you know what, I would still talk to my daughter about the situation between her, the friend, and the friend's mother. If she's like my daughters she'll appear not to listen , but she'll think about it. The other mom sounds like kind of a nut and best for both of you to have little contact.

Quote Originally Posted by maxkl;2785597;
    I hope you don't mind if I join in the conversation... 3 kids, 11, 9 and 4.... its always so much fun!

Love the "I hate you comments"... my oldest is better at the guilt and saying "You hate me" speech anytime I ask or tell him something he doesn't want to hear.

Anyone else have an "over sensitive" older boy? I swear I can't tell him anything... even when he knows he's lying about things..... he crys's and says "I hate him". I know I'm not the best mom, but I do okay, I think (other than working too much). Of course, then I get he does more than his sister (2 years younger).... which actually isn't true. I love it even more when they complain I don't make their 4 year old brother do things... I mean, he's 4!! The best is that he often helps me set the table more than the older ones!
    Feel free to jump in anytime, maxkl!

I've been around some overly-sensitive boys. The good news is they all seemed to grow out of it. Somehow, it doesn't fly so well when they are teenagers and have that certain image to uphold.

As far as the crying and his saying he "hates you" when he's been caught lying, turn it back around to him and what he has done, not you. That's a classic deflection/redirection of the real issue (his lying) going on there. He won't be the first or the last to try that one.

I just wanted to say: THANK GOODNESS that leggings and long baby doll tops are back in style! My kiddo can finally start dressing like the little girl that she is and not the stripper-in-training that store buyers thought our girls should look like for the past few seasons.
    I'm so damned sick of the skin tight, provocative fashions for young girls. It's nauseating.
    1 cheer for the fashion merry-go-round
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by maxkl;2785597;
    I hope you don't mind if I join in the conversation... 3 kids, 11, 9 and 4.... its always so much fun!

Love the "I hate you comments"... my oldest is better at the guilt and saying "You hate me" speech anytime I ask or tell him something he doesn't want to hear.

Anyone else have an "over sensitive" older boy? I swear I can't tell him anything... even when he knows he's lying about things..... he crys's and says "I hate him". I know I'm not the best mom, but I do okay, I think (other than working too much). Of course, then I get he does more than his sister (2 years younger).... which actually isn't true. I love it even more when they complain I don't make their 4 year old brother do things... I mean, he's 4!! The best is that he often helps me set the table more than the older ones!
    Just reading back on these posts. I am not a parent to human kids, but I almost choked on my coffee when I read that an 11 and 9 yr old complain that Mom doesn't make a 4 yr old do things. OH THAT'S RICH! Yet he helps set the table more that the other 2.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread