+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

MRD

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Gut, I do that too. It's mother radar.

Burntbrat, can you talk to the director one on one about this situation? Tell her that performing is something your daughter is very interested in, takes very seriously and that she would like to be given more opportunities to tackle other parts?

And maybe voice lessons wouldn't be a bad idea as well. It could be something else she gets interested in and wants to do more than the plays.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My son has money from Christmas burning a hole in his pocket. It is pouring outside and even though I said I would take him to Target today, I don't want to go out in this weather. Plus he hasn't been consistent with his chores around the house or keeping up with his homework until the last minute. I told him I think he needs to wait a week and show he is responsible and then we'll go to shop. He is now giving me a guilt trip that he hates being stuck in the house, etc...... I want to cry right now because all he wants to do is make me feel bad. I'm hiding in my room now.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2781063;
    My son has money from Christmas burning a hole in his pocket. It is pouring outside and even though I said I would take him to Target today, I don't want to go out in this weather. Plus he hasn't been consistent with his chores around the house or keeping up with his homework until the last minute. I told him I think he needs to wait a week and show he is responsible and then we'll go to shop. He is now giving me a guilt trip that he hates being stuck in the house, etc...... I want to cry right now because all he wants to do is make me feel bad. I'm hiding in my room now.
    You have NOTHING to hide or feel guilty about. I say you should go about your normal things and let the boy sulk or whatever all he wants. If he insists on whining about not going. Simply tell him (over & over if need be) that you stated your reasons and you are not discussing it any further.

Ok well I am not a parent to a human kid, but this is what my Mom would tell me or a simple go to your room and stay there.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Thanks gabriel. I'm trying to be strong. Being a single parent has its downside for sure. It gets harder as he gets older because he learns how to push my buttons. He also just now told me he needs shorts for gym class......why he couldn't let me know this yesterday in normal weather??!!! I said, you were at your friend's house playing games all afternoon and didn't feel that was something important so I'm sorry, you'll have to deal with the shorts you have until next week.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2781070;
    Thanks gabriel. I'm trying to be strong. Being a single parent has its downside for sure. It gets harder as he gets older because he learns how to push my buttons. He also just now told me he needs shorts for gym class......why he couldn't let me know this yesterday in normal weather??!!! I said, you were at your friend's house playing games all afternoon and didn't feel that was something important so I'm sorry, you'll have to deal with the shorts you have until next week.
    Your answer to the shorts thing is good.

I remember once for school we were told to have gym shoes by such & such a date and I didn't say anything until the day before.

My Mom said well you can't get anything until we have the money, until then use these, and she handed me a pair of white GIRLS gym shoes.

I was mortified, but that was all I had, so I took them to school and had them in my locker but went to the gym in my socks.

Teacher took one look and said where are the shoes, I mumbled something about not having any yet and someone piped up " I saw him put shoes in his locker", needless to say I wore those girls shoes for a week in gym, and after the first couple of days the laughing and embarrasment was gone. Last time I ever waited til the last minute.

Awful for a kid to go through, but a good lesson. Now I laugh about it.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

lol gabriel...I just handed him a pair of my shorts and said you can work these or you can wear the other shorts you have and deal with them. You turned out great so I guess my son will live too!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Well I must add that my Mom has always told us that she only had to say something once and we listened, there was something about my Mom being upset, whether angry or sad, that just made it worse, so we didn't want to see that. Some of the best exchanges were two liners: (I'm doing kid, to mean any of the three of us)

Kid- I'm bored.
    Mom - Go outside and be bored, I have work to do.

Kid- I don't want to do that.
    Mom - Fine, go to your room and stay there until I tell you to come out.

Kid - So and So's Mom is letting him/her.....
    Mom - Well I'm not So and So's Mom, end of story - go outside/to your room or whatever.

Kid- I hate you.
    Mom - Well I don't like you very much right now either - go to your room.

Kid - (Holding breath to turn blue and pass out)
    Mom -(taking kid to room) stay here until I tell you, I don't want you on the floor in my way.

Later she told me, it's amazing how good kids can be without an audience.

Mom- Put on a jacket, it 's cold outside.
    Kid- No it's not.
    Mom -Well I say it is, either the jacket or go sit in your room.

Just a smattering of collection.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Kid - (Holding breath to turn blue and pass out)
    Mom -(taking kid to room) stay here until I tell you, I don't want you on the floor in my way.
    I love this one. My friend used to freak out when her kids would do this. I told her to not worry, when he passes out he'll breath, it's a reflex. She never liked my answer.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2781145;
    I love this one. My friend used to freak out when her kids would do this. I told her to not worry, when he passes out he'll breath, it's a reflex. She never liked my answer.
    That's what happened the first time I tried this. It scared my Mom but then she said that after the reflex took over and I began breathing again she knew that next time she would either let me lay there and walk away or the go to your room response was used. After that second time I never did it. -She was so right that if a kid doesn't have an audience that reacts the way the kid wants, usually the kid won't do it.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

I guess if I don't have to deal with passing out kids by holding their breath I should count my blessings. He never was one to throw a tantrum, he just gives me the guilt treatment. He seems over it right now. I said homework has to be done and then you can worry about being bored!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread