+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

MRD

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

I've been in hooters when other families have been in there with small kids. It's more a sports bar/guy type joint, but not a strip club, although the waitress wear skimpy outfits.
    But I've seen families with kids of all ages in there. It's probably one of those calls you need to make for yourself. Grab a girlfriend and head over there for lunch and see for yourself. But the few times I've been, its mostly guys in there.
    BTW, I think their food sucks.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have been to Hooters a couple of times and one time we told them it was one of my male friend's birthday. They did this little dance with him that involved some rubbing up on it. If you tell them it's his birthday you may want to keep that in mind. Personally, their food is just OK, and the atmosphere not that exciting (I am female though) but I can see how it would be fun to a 16 year old.

I've also heard their food isn't great and it's rather expensive. I'm sure he'd have a blast but I also think he may get too embarassed. He's rather shy and whenever we go places and there is a pretty waitress, he talks down to the table (which makes me laugh....bad mom!). He's a very handsome kid with green eyes and chocolate brown hair but he is still awkward. I'm leaning more towards Dave and Buster's now more than ever.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2764943;
    I've also heard their food isn't great and it's rather expensive. I'm sure he'd have a blast but I also think he may get too embarassed. He's rather shy and whenever we go places and there is a pretty waitress, he talks down to the table (which makes me laugh....bad mom!). He's a very handsome kid with green eyes and chocolate brown hair but he is still awkward. I'm leaning more towards Dave and Buster's now more than ever.
    Yeah - I went to Hooters with a friend once - whoop dee doo. Overpriced blech. You made me laugh describing how he talks down to the table. (bad gabriel!)

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2764943;
    I'm for D&B. I think he would have more fun there. If he is shy, he is not going to have a good time at Hooters. Maybe wait a couple years.
    I love D&B. games, shooting pool, great food.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2764838;
    My son has decided for his 16th birthday he wants to take one friend and go to Hooters in Hollywood. I have never been so I don't know how little they wear there. Is it like a stripper type food joint?
    Hooters is harmless. The wings are pretty good but if your son is shy I don't know how much fun he'll have. They'll definitely razz him since it's his birthday. Check it out for yourself, of course, but it is his 16th birthday and that only happens once. I would find out how much he really wants to go and factor that in with my decision. You could be helping him with a great memory.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Thanks burnbrat. I have had so much going on with my grandmother passing and my cousin having a baby girl. I'm going to talk about it with him in February. We have until August to figure out what he really wants to do.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Hep, any developments with Webkinz??
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

My daughter is enrolled in acting classes at a performing arts school here. It's not a major school, just a small community thing. They put on plays four or five times a year and they are a lot of fun, but the rehearsals are killer. They're usually three times a week for two months leading up to the play. She's been in three plays so far, and she's always the moody, unruly character. She was Imogene in "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever", Pepper in "Annie" and the stepmother in "Into the Woods". While I think she did a bang-up job in each and I've always gotten compliments, she has felt type-cast and wants to be something different. I have lots of problems with this school, but I internalize it because she loves the director so much. I feel that the director plays favorites, the commitment level isn't taken seriously by most parents, and that my daughter is taken advantage of because she is so helpful. She often corrals the younger kids and even yells to the older kids when they miss their cues. She takes it all very seriously when she's cast in a play. I feel that the director doesn't even notice this. My daughter has a very outrageous personality so the unruly roles are perfect for her but she's not cast in the "bigger" unruly roles because of her singing. I once asked the director if she needed voice lessons and I was told no, that my daughter has a very pretty voice she just lacks confidence in it. That's great, but when she gets on stage she has the confidence of Goliath. I go to these plays and hear these other kids singing solos and the whole audience cringes because they're off pitch or just generally terrible. So I'm just confused sometimes why my baby gets passed over. I know I'm probably blind to her flaws because I'm her mother, but she tries so hard.

Today they had auditions for "Nunsense" and some Charlie Brown play. I'm not familiar with "Nunsense" but I tried to listen in on her audition and I thought she sounded fine when she sang. She came out in tears because she said the director and other judges were laughing while she sang. It breaks my heart. She was called back so I told her to forget about the first audition, maybe they were laughing at something else. The second audition process went better, she said, and she's hopeful. I, on the other hand, want to quit this school after each audition. I always get in a flurry searching for other schools in the area but then get discouraged because there's really nothing else in our area that would allow her to be so involved. She says the director said they were supposed to laugh because it was a comedy. I say bull. My baby does have a pretty voice. She was the youngest trying out for this play and shame on them. The director is supposed to be her teacher and giving her self-confidence, not chipping away at it. I guess we'll see when the cast list comes up. But I really, really want to quit this damn school. Everytime I mention it my daughter breaks into tears because she loves it so much. What to do, what to do??
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Did she try out for the Charlie Brown play? It's really funny! I did lighting for it in our community theater when I was in college so saw it over and over and over. I still sing Snoopy's "Suppertime" song on a regular basis. I'm curious about something I do and whether any other parents do it. Before I even open my eyes in the morning I mentally note where each of my children is. No big deal and not even really fully conscious, but every morning. Is it just me?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread