+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

That would've been funny, Unk, but the cat is already out of the bag. I couldn't help myself. It was funny watching her face turn red and to hear her stammer but her excuse was that I told her not to put down anything personal so she made everything up. We just had another talk about how that 14-year-old girl she's being chummy with might actually be a 50-year-old man who likes little girls. And I told her that lying on message boards can catch up to you. She doesn't have any school friends who post on this message board, but what if she wanted to tell them about some of her artwork that she posted there? Hopefully she realized that she needs to tone down the lying.

And I can't go to a pet store to window shop. I fall in love with the fish, even.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

My daughter gets an allowance but it's tied to her ice skating homework - which turns out to have been a dumb idea on my part, because she absolutely loves to skate and it's turned into a cash cow for her. Luckily I made it $.50 per session. She's been skating four times a week so it adds up pretty quickly, considering her age.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Birthday parties suck.

This year kiddo mentioned that she wanted to have a party at home.. again. That a lot of friggin work (not to mention the mess )
    I've offered her a movie party at the local movie house (which is peanuts compared to what I would spend at home and I don't have to clean up!)
    or A craft session party at Michael's

or (whispered and glossed over very quickly) a party at home.

She's having a hard time choosing..
    she wants to have a beach themed craft at the movie theatre Or a movie during her hawaiian luau at home. Either way I think Michael's is out

One crappy thing about this business is that her class was split up this year, she has grade 1's in her class and some of very good grade 2 friends are in the grade 3 classroom so some feelings might get hurt. I told her she could invite whom ever she chose and she didn't have to include everyone, just her friends would be ok. I feel bad aobut that... but last year there were 2 girls here that M didn't even like, I'm not going to make her invite them again.
    Last edited by Duxxy; 01-17-2008 at 11:22 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Luau's are a lot of fun. My girl had a luau a couple of years ago and her friends still talk about it. I bought a bunch of stuff from Oriental Trading, leis, grass skirts, etc... First they did a sand art craft with colored sand and bracelets. Then we played some games, like limbo. I made them virgin pina coladas and strawberry daquiries and chicken teriyaki shiskabobs. I put a bunch of snacks out in straw hats. We also made a volcano cake from a bundt cake with a cupcake on top and icing and sprinkles to look like lava. We played the Lilo and Stitch CD all day long. We had a hula hoop contest but I can't remember any other games! I don't know how old your girls are but mine were just fine strutting around acting like grown-ups for the two hours. The goodie-bags were hawaiian themed and it was a great success. But I was worn out afterward!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

That sounds like a lot of fun brat, I think that is probably the way we are going to end up going. The kiddo likes to have her friends over and she's been making her own plans for months now, every once in a while she'll let me in on them
    She has a bowling birthday party this weekend and a party at the movie theatre next weekend for her two 'best' friends (well for this week anyway) so I'm sure she'll be planning up a storm.

I suggested today that we use ice cream cone cups or the waffle bowls for snack plates instead of paper plates and her eyes just about popped out of her head. "you can eat the bowl?? KEWL!"
    I wish we had and Oriental Trading here.. and a Tuesday Morning, and an IKEA and a Target.. oh wait.. nevermind, I'd be broke.

ETA: well look at that... OT has a website that proudly proclaims "Canadian Shipping Now Available!" woot woot!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2758391;
    That sounds like a lot of fun brat, I think that is probably the way we are going to end up going. The kiddo likes to have her friends over and she's been making her own plans for months now, every once in a while she'll let me in on them
    She has a bowling birthday party this weekend and a party at the movie theatre next weekend for her two 'best' friends (well for this week anyway) so I'm sure she'll be planning up a storm.

I suggested today that we use ice cream cone cups or the waffle bowls for snack plates instead of paper plates and her eyes just about popped out of her head. "you can eat the bowl?? KEWL!"
    I wish we had and Oriental Trading here.. and a Tuesday Morning, and an IKEA and a Target.. oh wait.. nevermind, I'd be broke.

ETA: well look at that... OT has a website that proudly proclaims "Canadian Shipping Now Available!" woot woot!

I LOVE OT. And like Burntbrat said, Luau's are fun. We did goodie bags in beach sand buckets and gave out leis and grass skirts. They hula hooped, limboed and swam (My daughter's birthday is in April and we used to live in Florida) and we played musical beach towels.
    Graham cracker crumbs make a great "sand" base for the cake to sit on and you can buy candy shells to put on the cake for a luau/beach themed cake.

I also served snacks in the beach buckets with the shovels for the serving spoons. They loved it.

I used to have a party planning business when my daughte was younger, so her parties were often "ads" for my business. I feel bad saying that now, but she loved all her parties and while they were all themed, they weren't always elaborate or expensive. I miss those days now. At almost 17 she would rather have her head shaved than have a theme party.

You can do great parties for not a lot of money. The best party she had was when she turned 7 and it cost me a grand total of $75 and I still hear from some of the parents about how nice that party was. It was a dress up tea party and easter egg hunt (her birthday is always near Easter). Since I used to plan parties for kids birthdays, I think $75 was cheap, but I also did a $5000 party for a 2 year old who was the son of a doctor, so that may skew my perspective on what's inexpensive.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I always did parties at home, and yeah - it's a hassel and a mess, but my kids always loved it and had them into their early teens! I always made a custom pinata - very easy to do if you want to pm me for details... the genie from Aladdin one year, a girl riding a horse, the little mermaid, even Barney when the boy was old enough to hate him, so they all wanted to bash him with a stick.. I always put the goodies for the goodie bags out on a table and had the kids line up with their bags and go round and round picking one prize each time until they were all gone. That way, they got what they wanted and I never had too many or too few. A couple of times kids came late and I just asked everyone to donate something from their goodie bag to make up one for the latecomer. Candy from the pinata went into the goodie bag, and when the kids were young enough, I would take everything out of the sand box, scatter coins around, then build a sand castle and put the toys back in, and then one game was to give them a baggie and have them search for coins (mostly pennies). I did a sand castle cake once with 3 different size cakes on top of each other with yellow frosting coated with yellow decorating sugar and then real shells and stones (washed of course) decorating it. That was a huge hit. I also took a picture of each kid with the birthday child and their opened gift that I sent with the thank-you card. I made double prints and made up a mini-photo album for each party that my child got to keep. I made sure to have a picture of the cake and pinata.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2758793;
    I always did parties at home, and yeah - it's a hassel and a mess, but my kids always loved it and had them into their early teens! I always made a custom pinata - very easy to do if you want to pm me for details... the genie from Aladdin one year, a girl riding a horse, the little mermaid, even Barney when the boy was old enough to hate him, so they all wanted to bash him with a stick.. I always put the goodies for the goodie bags out on a table and had the kids line up with their bags and go round and round picking one prize each time until they were all gone. That way, they got what they wanted and I never had too many or too few. A couple of times kids came late and I just asked everyone to donate something from their goodie bag to make up one for the latecomer. Candy from the pinata went into the goodie bag, and when the kids were young enough, I would take everything out of the sand box, scatter coins around, then build a sand castle and put the toys back in, and then one game was to give them a baggie and have them search for coins (mostly pennies). I did a sand castle cake once with 3 different size cakes on top of each other with yellow frosting coated with yellow decorating sugar and then real shells and stones (washed of course) decorating it. That was a huge hit. I also took a picture of each kid with the birthday child and their opened gift that I sent with the thank-you card. I made double prints and made up a mini-photo album for each party that my child got to keep.
    Wow, Gut, you have some great ideas. One thing I know for sure is that kids remember their birthdays and parties. I think one of the driving forces behind me giving my daughter the parties we did was that my husband NEVER had a birthday party as a child. Never got to have friends over or gifts, never even got to go to McDonald's and have a party there, etc. It's not that his parents didn't believe in them, they just didn't want to have them at all, so he never had one. His mom would make him a cake and he always got a new shirt every year as his gift. But no parties. I've always thought that was one of the saddest things I've ever heard (but I also got to know his parents and they were, well, strange)

And if you ask adults to name a happy memory from their childhood, I've found most will recall a favorite birthday party.

Mine was a luau party when I was 9.

We always had them at home when I was a kid, but where I lived, there was no movie theater or any other place to "GO" have one other than a local park.

But my hat is off to you for making the Pinatas. I used to make a lot of the favors, but I never attempted Pinatas. I love the idea of the sand castle cake too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The year when my son turned 3 and was really into Batman I made him a batman costume out of blue long johns, rubber boots, a standard black party mask, and a cape with pointy ears and slightly glittery black fabric. I made a Robin costume for his red-haired Cabbage Patch (boy) doll that he took everywhere. He totally believed he was Batman that day. Too bad he was too young to remember it now, but I have pictures. My favorite ever was a suprise party that involved square dancing in our back yard with a real caller and just enough guests for 2 squares. It was at the age when boys and girls were just starting to notice each other (5th grade?) so that was a fun activity-based party.
    Count your blessings!

My son is 15 and has only a handful of friends that he actually speaks to outside of school. Every year when I ask him what he wants to do for his birthday he just says, nothing or I don't care. It's so hard because I want to throw him a nice party somewhere but he's just not into it. This year he'll be 16 and I really want to do something special for him.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread