+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

There's no defense, I know. I spoke to my daughter about her response. I tried to speak to my son, but he's having some issues right now and was trying to pack to go to this job stint for a week in Boston. I don't think I could get away with smacking him, much as I'd like to. He's 6'5". As for my mother I sent a snippy e-mail back and then panicked this morning and apologized. She's been very helpful to me along the way. It just caught me at a really bad time.
    Count your blessings!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2751782;
    Wallow all you want, I would be mad, too. Maybe you need to take them aside and tell them how it made you feel. There is nothing wrong with you worrying about Dan having a paintball gun.

But, I have an attitude and would have told my son to walk home and my daughter to get her own damned pretzel.
    Here!Here! I would have said and done the same damned thing dag!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Big hugs to you, Gut! I hate to read about them giving you such a hard time when I know how good you are to them.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

MRD

Sending hugs Gut. I would have felt the same way.

I had something similar happen over the summer. My daughter got nasty with me in a store and her father didn't back me up and I got angry and stalked out. I think they thought "she is going to the car to sulk" and continued shopping. Well I left. I did feel bad after 10 min. and went back and they were nowhere to be seen, so it made me madder. I went to the other side of the parking lot (big strip mall) where they couldn't see me and I waited for them to come out. They eventually did and looked everywhere for the car and eventually sat on the curb all down and dejected. By this point, I felt I had gotten my point across and drove back. they got in the car and the first thing I said was:
    "Don't piss off the person that has the car keys and drove you here!!!!!"

And Gut, I'd worry about Dan and the paintgun too. Does it go against the regulations his exhange group has? Besides, why does he need a paintgun? If anything, the boy needs to buy some winter boots first.
    And where is he going paintballing in the winter in the NE?
    That one would raise eyebrows to me as well and its NONE of your older son's business. Dan is YOUR responsibility not his.

Good luck Gut. I have days too where I'm sure my child is the most spoiled, ungrateful brat in the world, and then days where she makes up for it.

Sending you hugs. You are doing a great job, being a mother is often thankless, but when you KNOW you are trying your best, then phooey on them. They'll come around eventually.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks everyone. I'll be getting my revenge today when I make them shovel the foot of snow we're getting.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2752787;
    Thanks everyone. I'll be getting my revenge today when I make them shovel the foot of snow we're getting.
    Good. Is there any other unpleasant chores they could do???

Maybe its time daughter learned to cook dinner for you tonight.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Have you heard of Webkinz? The way it works is you buy a stuffed animal, which has a special code. Then you go to the Webkinz website and your code unlocks it. You can play games to earn cash to buy things for your webkinz. Or, you can have your parents buy more Webkinz so you get more things on the website, yadda yadda yadda. Oh, and your stuffed animal will expire in a year unless you buy more.

Most of my daughter's friends have these but I am opposed to them because they look like nothing more than a beanie baby money pit. I do let my daughter have computer time, that's not the issue. But the whole focus of these is to make more money to get more Webkinz. That really bothers me. It's consumption for the sake of consumption.

My daughter asked Santa for one and of course she is the only kid who didn't get a new Webkinz for Christmas. She asked me about a week after Christmas if she could save up for one using her chore money, and I said I would have to think about it because she already has too many stuffed animals, and it wouldn't mean she would get more computer privileges, so she wouldn't really be able to use it like she thinks she would. Basically, not an outright "no," I was ditching the question.

She's not whining about it, she's being big and brave about it, which makes it way worse. Yesterday, her friend was heading off after school to get another Webkinz with her mom. She invited her along, but I told the two girls it wouldn't really be any fun to go along since she wasn't getting her own. Instead of asking for one my daughter just got red-eyed and said goodbye sadly to her friend.

Ugh, I feel like the meanest mom on the block! It's not even like that mom who sold the car -- my daughter didn't do anything wrong. What would you do in this situation?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

That is tough, Hep. I think I would let her earn the money to buy her own but let her know that that was it, none of the other stuff.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

I think I'm with Dags on this one. She's really being good about it, so why not let her save up for it and buy just the one. Or, maybe you can simply explain to her why you are against it and reward her for her good behavior with something else that she really enjoys.

The thing is, once you're on the website you're bombarded with offers to get more kinz cash. It encourages you to visit every day - more cash. They even have a game that looked exactly like a slot machine game to me. They say they have educational games, and I'm sure they have some, but that bothers me. I don't see why kids need to be computer addicts this young. The slot machine especially bothers me, probably because I was raised in a no-gambling household (although I do hit Vegas on occasion). It just doesn't seem right for children.

I know for sure she'll get one from a friend for her birthday, so basically I either have a couple of months of torture to go through or I can work something out in the meantime.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread