+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

I'm not the only one, DesertRose. I heard of a dad yesterday that served detention with his son so others must be complaining as well. We probably won't be in this school district next year. Not if I can help it!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

What's really bothersome is that this is happening in the first year of "real" school. Ideally, kindergarten should be a really positive experience so that a child goes into first grade thinking school is a great place to be. You'd think the school would be interested in forming strong relationships with the parents, too, considering how many years kids attend elementary school. Particularly the principal - even though my oldest had some issues adjusting to her new school this year, the principal is a super guy who goes out of his way to get to know all the kids in the school (no small feat, there's 400+ children in this K-6 school) and is very visible and accessible. My oldest's teacher has also been very accessible, not to mention kind and understanding. Lil, I hope you have better luck with schools and teachers next year.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Comcast.net News - Odd - Mom Sells Rule-Breaking Son's Car

Mom Sells Rule-Breaking Son's Car
    DES MOINES, Iowa — Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet."

After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone by placing an ad in the local newspaper.

The ad reads: "OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

Hambleton has heard from people besides interested buyers since recently placing the ad in The Des Moines Register.

The 48-year-old from Fort Dodge says she has fielded more than 70 telephone calls from emergency room technicians, nurses, school counselors and even a Georgia man who wanted to congratulate her.

"The ad cost a fortune, but you know what? I'm telling people what happened here," Hambleton says. "I'm not just gonna put the car for resale when there's nothing wrong with it, except the driver made a dumb decision.

"It's overwhelming the number of calls I've gotten from people saying 'Thank you, it's nice to see a responsible parent.' So far there are no calls from anyone saying, 'You're really strict. You're real overboard, lady.'"

The only critic is her son, who Hambleton says is "very, very unhappy" with the ad and claims the alcohol was left by a passenger.

Hambleton believes her son but has decided mercy isn't the best policy in this case. She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: No booze, and always keep it locked.

The car has been sold, but Hambleton says she will continue the ad for another week just for the feedback.
    This mom is my new hero.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

That is the best thing ever! She rocks!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2747582;
    Mine too! That ad is completely awesome.

MRD

And I thought I was the meanest mom on the planet. But am gladly giving up my title to this one. This mom is great. More moms need to follow this example.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2747656;
    And I thought I was the meanest mom on the planet. But am gladly giving up my title to this one. This mom is great. More moms need to follow this example.
    Yup. Good for her. Even if it was someone else's kid should not have allowed it in the car. Or thrown it away once the "friend" got out.

I know most of you who come here have young kids, but I'm feeling really put-upon and unappreciated today. Yesterday I took my almost 20-yr.-old son to the mall for his first "professional" clothes for this week when he starts the next level of his managerial job. Our exchange student, Dan, tagged along. I heard them talking about Dan buying a paintball gun and supplies so I felt the need to ask some questions... where, when, who... not anywhere near my house. I didn't think I was out of line, but my son called me an idiot. Then when we got home, my daughter pulled a huge guilt trip on me because I didn't bring back the soft pretzel she requested - mind you, she went grocery shopping with me the day before and I ended up spending $150 on mostly specialty items for her. Then I got home and opened up an e-mail from my mom. We've been planning a week-long trip to visit my daughter who recently moved to Florida and now she's driving down with a friend who has a condo somewhere else and will "swing by" for 2 or 3 days with the friend. I'm feeling like nobody loves me. Wallow, wallow. (And yes, I realize it sounds like my children are spoiled brats. At a certain point it's out of your hands. Just wait. You'll see.)
    Count your blessings!

Wallow all you want, I would be mad, too. Maybe you need to take them aside and tell them how it made you feel. There is nothing wrong with you worrying about Dan having a paintball gun.

But, I have an attitude and would have told my son to walk home and my daughter to get her own damned pretzel.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

All I can do dear Guttmutter is to echo what dagwood posted. If I EVER had called my mother an idiot - I seriously think even though she has never hit me, I would get backhanded. Yes I am 50 and she is 74.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread