+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2725878;
    A kindergartener getting detentions? Absurd.
    Agreed. If a form of punishment is deserved (and in my opinion, this is one case in which it is obviously NOT deserved!) and "detention" is the best option, make the child sit out a recess. Or part of a recess. That is what my daughter's school did up until 4th grade. At that time, if the kids were misbehaving enough to earn detention, the had to serve it after school. But the entire time my kids were in elementary school, I do not think a detention lasted longer than 20-30 minutes. It just sounds utterly rediculous.

VeeJay, nice to see you around again.

An hour-long detention for a kindergarten child? Who hasn't even done anything wrong? If the principal is being a moron about it, then I think an email to your school trustee is in order, lil.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2725828;
    I have no idea how to handle this other than talking to the principal tomorrow.
    You might consider talking to some of the other parents and finding out what their take is on the matter. If they feel the same way you do maybe you could persuade them to join you at the next board meeting. It's worth a shot.

You have every right to be angry. They're hitting you where it hurts most. Your kid. At that age, she probably doesn't even really understand what's going on. Poor kid.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Thanks guys. My daughter woke up crying that next morning because she was terrified she'd have to go to detention. I kept her home from school and called the principal. It was an interesting call. She acted like I misinterpreted the letter because it says, "Students must serve detention after three tardies." She has three tardies and should now have a detention is how I interpreted it. I asked for clarification on the policy--So, this is just a warning?/Is the detention served after the 3rd or 4th tardy? She would only say that the letter was a mistake, my daughter shouldn't have gotten one, and never really answered my questions. She said I should just sign the letter and return it(I didn't and won't since I still disagree with the whole stupid hour-long-detention-for-kindergartners rule.) and bring her to school so she wouldn't miss out on some Christmas story. I asked if I brought her, would it be considered another tardy. If so, we'd just take the absence thankyouverymuch. She said she would excuse that tardy as well. When we got to her class, her teacher seemed surprised by what I was told and thinks the principal just didn't want to deal with me on the issue. Maybe it has something to do with the last big stink I raised with the superintendant over my daughter's substitute teachers. Oh, this part was comical to me. The principal said should we have tardies in the future resulting in a detention, I'm welcome to sit in there with her if I'm worried about her. Me? In detention? I'd give them hell for sure.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

That's crazy lil. Would you be allowed to bring your other young'uns with you to detention or would you have to find a sitter?

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2725878;
    A kindergartener getting detentions? Absurd.
    Good lord. What a bad rule. What good would that serve for someone at that age who has NO control over getting to school on time? I'll need to look up the rule for my son's school. He is in first grade. He'll probably get the rack for being tardy 3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2729249;
    That's crazy lil. Would you be allowed to bring your other young'uns with you to detention or would you have to find a sitter?

Good question, Unk.
    If it happens, I should bring them to really liven things up.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I'm just flabbergasted that they have detention for kindergarteners. I don't think our elementary school has detention for any of the grade levels. And I certainly wouldn't let my kid go to detention for being tardy until it's their responsibility to get to class on time. What are they going to do if she doesn't serve it? Fail her? Fine you? Forget that. I'm glad you're sticking up for your kiddo, lildago. Your school sounds more like boot camp.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Who the hell is thinking of these things? I agree with burntbrat that school sounds like boot camp
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Lil, I do hope you serve detention with your daughter next time and bring your other children with you. Heck, I'd bring a reporter with me too. This school has a weird way of providing for the kids. First the charade with the missing teachers, now this. Things need to change. I'm surprised you are the only parent raising a stink.

+ Reply to Thread