+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Thanks everyone who posted in response to my eating disorders question. It helps hear your opinions and suggestions. My girls get such a limited time with their dad anymore, and with this going on at his house it has created even more "issues" to deal with. I'm just clueless about the "right" way for me to handle it - mostly because I'm definitely lacking knowledge about the topic, and secondly, because I don't want to step on their dad and step-mom's toes. I wish they would be more open and up-front so that my girls would feel they could express their feelings to them.

Again, thank you for the site recommendations and the advise on how to approach it.

Hellooo to all my old FORT friends. It's been a while since I've posted but I have a really cute story to add to the topic of discussing menstruation with the kiddies.

On the other side of the coin, I have a son (he's 9 now) who last year found some feminine hygiene products of mine. When he asked me what they were, I truthfully told him about women having a period. That conversation then led to an in-depth discussion about discretion and the appropriateness of not talking about it to his schoolmates (especially girls) at this age. I was very proud of the way mature way he asked questions and received the information.

Then a couple weeks later, while going through his school folder, I came across a lengthy story he’d written and in big bold letters on the front page was the title “Female Trouble”.

My stomach felt like it was going to come out of my throat and I just thought to myself, “Oh my goodness! Pleeeeaaaase don’t let it be that.”

But when I opened it, it was a completely innocent story about a momma cat and her kittens trying to find a home.

Shame on me for thinking the worst.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

VeeJay - That is just waaaay too funny.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I'll bet the teacher had a good laugh, too.
    Count your blessings!

Friday night while we were sitting at the table having supper M pipes up and says" Mom, do dogs have sex?" So the three of us had a discussion and answered all of her questions (and there were many)
    Saturday while M was getting ready for our annual immediate-family
    Christmas dinner I wanted to be sure that we didn't have a repeat of the previous night's supper so I was gently trying to get the idea of discretion across to her - but she is only 7 and she has no filter (like her mother)

I told her that if she had any questions at all that she could come to me and dad and we would answer anything she asked us, but that it was not appropriate to talk about it at the table and especially not at school because it is the other parents jobs to tell their kids about sex and how a body works when the time was right.
    She said ok. Continued to towel off. Rose up and said.. "how does the penis go into the vagina?"
    Now?? she wants to talk about this right now, when we have 30 minutes to be ready and out the door??
    I launched into a brief explaination while helping her out of the shower and drying her hair.
    When we came out of the bathroom my husband was sitting in the adjoining room and as kiddo walks away we give each other a look and I said 'well that was fun!' He said 'I heard every word and better you than me!'
    LoL the big chicken.

As parents I think we are so afraid of making a mistake in the way we relate information, that we place a huge burden on ourselves. Knowing what to say now and what can wait is such a hard balance to acheive. After all is said and done the kids glean what they need from the information provided and take it all in stride while we sweat buckets. I guess the laugh is on us.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2724631;

As parents I think we are so afraid of making a mistake in the way we relate information, that we place a huge burden on ourselves. Knowing what to say now and what can wait is such a hard balance to acheive. After all is said and done the kids glean what they need from the information provided and take it all in stride while we sweat buckets. I guess the laugh is on us.
    So true. I was always of the belief that once a child started to ask the first questions about a sensitive topic, that was the time to slowly introduce them to it. Of course, there are topics like personal safety that we unfortunately need to instill in them at a very early age because in their innocence they do not yet realize that not all adults are good people.

Dux, I'm so glad it's yours and not mine asking those questions.

I'm pissed. My kindergartener has three tardies and the school policy is afternoon detention for three tardies. One of those is because we got held up in the mile long carpool line. I understand the need to be punctual but geez, and hour long detention for a kindergartener? It's a bit excessive, in my opinion. Besides, it's not even her fault she's late. It's my fault so they should penalize me. Fine me. Hell, make me serve the detention. Her teacher says if I refuse to let her serve it, they'll send her to in-house suspension for the day...in-house suspension with troublemaking juvenile delinquents. If they dare send her there, I think I just might come unglued! I have no idea how to handle this other than talking to the principal tomorrow. Going back to work so I can afford to send my kids to private school is sounding better and better.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Premium Member

Duxxy and VeeJay, those stories are hilarious. I kind of miss those days of inquiring minds.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2725828;
    Dux, I'm so glad it's yours and not mine asking those questions.

I'm pissed. My kindergartener has three tardies and the school policy is afternoon detention for three tardies. One of those is because we got held up in the mile long carpool line. I understand the need to be punctual but geez, and hour long detention for a kindergartener? It's a bit excessive, in my opinion. Besides, it's not even her fault she's late. It's my fault so they should penalize me. Fine me. Hell, make me serve the detention. Her teacher says if I refuse to let her serve it, they'll send her to in-house suspension for the day...in-house suspension with troublemaking juvenile delinquents. If they dare send her there, I think I just might come unglued! I have no idea how to handle this other than talking to the principal tomorrow. Going back to work so I can afford to send my kids to private school is sounding better and better.
    A kindergartener getting detentions? Absurd.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

That is ridiculous. if anything, they should 'punish' the parents, even if it is a little fine.
    but holding a small child responsible for things they have no control over is just absurd.

+ Reply to Thread