+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Something funny happened tonight. My 12 year old son and I were talking about when we first moved to South America. He was 4.5 yrs at the time. He kept asking me when we were going to go back to "the other world." I thought it was cute at the time. Turns out, he says, he remembers the plane ride (his first), looking out and seeing the dark, and thinking he was on a space ship. When we got there everyone spoke a different language. He really DID think it was a different planet. Too cute. I forgot how literal they are at that age.

Canuckie, that's a wonderful glimpse into the mind of a child. I can only imagine how he must have thought he was transported to a distant planet, and it makes perfect sense to me.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

canuck - wow... how weird to find that out so much later. Don't you wish you could go back in time and explain it to him?
    Count your blessings!

Yes, I wish I could. But he seemed to get over it quickly, and I did take out the globe and show him where we were. He just never said much after that so I forgot about it!

My 11-year-old daughter fell out of the swing during recess on Friday. It was a pretty bad fall and she went to the nurse's office in a wheelchair. But she came out of it okay, with just a cut on her forehead and a really bruised finger. But...

I got a call at 9:30 p.m. (past her bedtime) on Friday from a voice that sounded deep for a girl, but whatever. I didn't get to the phone in time and this was the message. "Hi (daughter), I just wanted to make sure you were okay from the fall off the swings. blah blah blah. You're a really good friend." I didn't recognize the name from the caller ID so I went to my daughter who was still up and asked her about it. She thought for a minute and then was embarrassed and a little upset. It was a boy! Apparently it's a boy who follows her around a bit. My daughter is not at all interested in boys and was totally creeped out. I told her that she couldn't be mean, though. I told her to tell him that she wasn't ready for all of that kind of stuff and to let him down easy. She argued with me for a few minutes then decided she would tell him she was a lesbian because that was the easiest way out. Ha! On one hand I'm a little proud because she's so sweet and she is obviously attractive, but on the other hand I'm ready to buy a shotgun because this is the beginning of the end....
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

FORT Fanatic

That's a cute story about your daughter burntbrat . I have both a teenage boy and girl and have found that the girls are way more forward when it comes to calling someone they like. For the most part, the boys are aware of the girls and appreciate them but aren't ready for anything more. My boy is 15 and my girl will be 18 in Jan so there are different circumstances but from my experience, it's the girls who are the aggressive ones......they feel pressured to be in a relationship.

Are any of you familiar with the Rotavirus vaccine?
    I went to my newborn's first checkup and the doctor suggested the Rotavirus vaccine for him. I know it was pulled in 1999 because it caused twisting of the intestines in some babies. It has now been brought back. My doctor says this one is safe; still, it's only been on the market for 1 year. I usually give my kids all the vaccines they need (including the flu shot), but this one has me a little scared. My friend's son had to be operated at 3-4 months for a twisted intestine (not linked to the vaccine, in his case) and I wouldn't want my son to go through that.
    I actually agreed with my sister when she chose not to give it to her daughter. What concerns me is that I have a child in daycare and he can bring home anything. In the last month only, there have been cases of pertussis and gastro at his daycare (luckily he caught nothing).

There isn't much info on the net, aside from articles from the manufacturer, of course. There is an newspaper article dating from the beginning of the year and stating that 25 cases of twisted intestines have been reported, but they might or might not be linked to the vaccine.

I guess I just need more info before I take a decision.

Rotavirus can be avoided with frequent hand washing and disenfecting of bathrooms and diaper change areas. There is always stuff going around at a daycare. We aren't even offered a vaccine here - well not that I know of anyway.
    Personally I think this is one vaccine that I would be skipping. We skipped the Chicken Pox vaccine too and that disease has more serious implications than a rotavirus.
    I do believe in vaccines, some people believe that we don't need them anymore because the diseases they protect against have been all but wiped out (thanks to the vaccines! duh!) We vaccinate M, and our own boosters are kept up as well (many parents forget about their own vaccines!)
    So - not to influence you, only to give you my opinion.. I'd skip it.
    Good luck!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MRD

Interesting about the Pertussis as that's usually one of the vaccines kids do get. It's part of the DPT vaccine.

I don't know anything about the rotovirus one, but I agree with Duxxy, its not something I'd do without more info.

I have a friend that chose not to vaccinate. As I was of child bearing age then, I made sure my vaccines were up to date as rubella can cause birth defects if a pregnant woman gets it. I wanted to be protected and any future babies protected in case her children got something.

I understand why people chose not to vaccinate, but its really interesting to talk to someone who is in their 60's and 70's about what life was like before the Polio vaccine became available. Talk about scary. And don't think that some diseases are not around because we've eradicated them. We may not have then in America or Canada, but there are still polio cases throughout the rest of the world. And still a few small pox cases even though that vaccine is no longer offered here.

We chose to get our daughter vaccinated with Gardisil and we've gotten a lot of flack about it. But I used to work for a GYN and its heartbreaking to be doing cervical biopsies on 18 year olds because of the HP Virus.

Anyway, I guess its a personal choice, but we did vaccinate and I have kept up my own boosters. But the rotovirus one I would probably wait on until I knew more. The chicken pox one was not available until after my daughter already had had chicken pox. I would definetly do the other major ones like polio, MMR and DPT and Hep.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I don't even like to get started on the subject since I worked in public health The one time I wrote a letter, though, was when there was an outbreak of Pertussis at my daughter's boarding school. She had been vaccinated, and after the age of 2 years it means antibiotics and at worst a few days in the hospital, if you live in a first world country. The thing that really bothered me was that there were kids at this school from 27 countries. We were living in a small town in the Andes of Peru. If she had brought that home with her, it could have wiped out a village easily. People just don't think about global effects and travel. People that choose not to vaccinate are relying on those of us that do

I don't know much about the rotovirus, but I probably wouldn't run to get it, but definitely listen to your doctor and look into it.

+ Reply to Thread