+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

lildago, if you find something that works, clue me in! Mine are older and we still battle it out all the darn time about picking up after themselves! I did not spend hours in labor birthing these two lovely little girls simply to become their own personal maid.

I agree....if anyone knows a secret...let me know! My oldest is 17 and the only thing that will make him pick up his things is to threaten to take the truck keys from him. That doesn't work with the other two, though.

Lil, how about turning it into a game or a competition? See how much stuff one can put away in 15 minutes? Put a good cd on, set the timer on and ready, set, go. I'm not sure how long the novelty of it would last though.

Thanks DesertRose! Been there, done that! I'm thinking of making a chart(I think there's a link to one somewhere in this thread.). As she checks off chores on the chart, she earns points. A set number of points equals a new toy, book, movie, or whatever the must-have thing of the month may be.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2433364;
    Lil, how about turning it into a game or a competition? See how much stuff one can put away in 15 minutes? Put a good cd on, set the timer on and ready, set, go. I'm not sure how long the novelty of it would last though.

Maybe bribe them with M&M's or something when it's done? LOL...I'd pick up my toys for M&M's!

Lil, I also was going to suggest the timed game - it always worked on my daughter (but then she's pretty competitive ). Damn kids, they're all so different.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

My kids never got the knack for picking up and it was hard for me to enforce it since I'm a bit of a slob myself. With two of them in college, I'm finally able to start getting things organized. Well, I should say WAS, because the worst (my son) is home from college and I could tear my hair out most days because of the messes he makes. I caught him putting a wet towel straight from a shower on top of my huge envelope of past Xrays I have for my MRI on Monday. Luckily I caught him just after he did it because otherwise they would have been ruined.
    Count your blessings!

My 4 year old is so eager to please that we just tell him that he will make us really proud of him if he cleans up his room and it usually works. If that doesn't work telling him that I will be disappointed if his room stays messy will work (usually)

Operative word being usually.

Well I thought I would pop in and tell everyone ( DD would be so proud of me..oh yeah revenge is sweet) That Aunt Flo finally came to visit! DD put us thru a few weeks of purely witchy behaviour. I hope the behavior part is NOT part of the monthly visit though. DH says if she is anything like me it will be.

For cleaning up around here this is what I do. I have each kid do a quick pickup (say 20 items or whatever). Then I sit and watch until it is done. No getting off track. This is done once a day, normally after supper.

Now that they are older, they split up the rooms. One week DD will do all surfaces in the living room, and son will do floors. Then before they can do anything else, I check their work. As far as their bedrooms go, I just close the door on the mess. If they want to live in a pig sty then let'em. (I sound so much like my Mom)

If they leave stuff sitting around- dishes, used tissues, games, whatever they have to put it away before doing anything fun=like going out with friends, getting online. etc.

But I think the most important part of whatever method you choose is to be consistent. Taking their toy away is a great idea. But take it away for a week and if you find it out of place once! toss it. I'll bet it would only take one treasured toy to be tossed and they would know you are serious. (make sure you tell them exactly what the consequences are for a repeat offender)
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2434873;
    My kids never got the knack for picking up and it was hard for me to enforce it since I'm a bit of a slob myself. With two of them in college, I'm finally able to start getting things organized. Well, I should say WAS, because the worst (my son) is home from college and I could tear my hair out most days because of the messes he makes. I caught him putting a wet towel straight from a shower on top of my huge envelope of past Xrays I have for my MRI on Monday. Luckily I caught him just after he did it because otherwise they would have been ruined.
    Gut, the question is, where was your envelope???

+ Reply to Thread