+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    Duxxy - a good friend of mine has the same problem with her daughter. She has found several sites online offering "longer torso" suits in the size 10/12 and 14/16 kids range. Other than Land's End, I don't know the names of the stores from which she shops for these, but maybe a google search might turn something up? I know her daughter is almost able to fit into a small women's suit, but the cuts are different and the styles are not always age appropriate. She also went with a longer "tankini" style two piece, which solved the long torso problem and still gave her daughter the look of a one piece suit. Of course, a tailor could probably solve your problems pretty easily, too! Good luck!

AJ I like the tankinis but M saw them and she said "I do not want to show my belly!!!" She was scandalized LOL. She had such a cute suit last year, a nice one piece with a tulle skirt attached. I wish it fit her for one more year.
    We'll go shopping in person tomorrow to see what she likes, I'll keep the Walmart seperates in mind! Thanks.
    RG I checked out some of the longer torso stuff and it's a bit more than I want to spend, I may not have a choice though

I saw some of those barely there suits for young girls.. it's so nice that the stripper moms have the option to dress their future exhibitionists just like themselves.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

My MIL bought one of those tiny triangle bikinis for J a year or so ago and she hates it. For one thing, she isn't comfortable being so exposed, and for another, the bottoms don't even fit her properly, they fall down because she has no hips. Who ever thought of making something like that for little girls?

And your M doesn't even want to show her belly, eh? I just thought of another option - I was at Please Mum a few weeks ago and they have those short-sleeved swim tops. I can't remember if they have regular bottoms or just swim shorts, but the swim tops give full coverage. Mind you, if she still likes very girly-looking stuff, she won't go for it, but if you have one of those stores nearby I would check them out too.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I hate swimsuit shopping. It is so hard to find an appropriate suit for my daughter. She is nine, but is big for her age. I have a problem with buying her bikini suits that are three small pieces of fabric. I found a cute tankini last year and hopefully can find one again this year. I would prefer a one piece, but they all seem to be high cut at the hips. Not on my child.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

We have the same problem dag, M is 7 but she's in a size 14 (since they are making everything so friggin tight now) It's getting really frustrating to buy kid's clothes in general. Too tight, too short or very inappropriate!
    AJ we don't have any good stores around here - nothing like Please Mum, sheesh we just got an Old Navy 2 years ago - we don't even have a GAP and we are a city of 200,000!
    I wish clothing manufacturers would just go back to making basics in normal sizes. Kids do not belong in tight/form fitting/grown up clothes! They are kids for pity's sake! While I'm ranting.. I will also say that I resent paying more for kid's clothes than my own - kid's clothes are a heck of a lot less fabric and we have to buy them more often.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Duxxy. My A is 8 but is tall, wearing a size 10 or 12. She should wear a 8 but the length is to short, and knowing how she grows I'm buying 12's so I don't have to buy so often. I also refuse to bye her any outfits or pieces that make her look like a miniature streetwalker.

I have to bye a one piece for her. Our school has swimming year round and the rules say one piece. No tankini, etc.. I finally found one that fits at the Osh Kosh B'gosh outlet. I still bought a 12 so I don't have to bye another in the middle of winter.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

How about Speedos? I know they are kind of pricey, but they do seem like the best bet for being basic swimwear.....not too revealing, and they do have some stylish patterns now.

SpeedoUSA > Kids > Girls Swim

I know around here, we can get them at sporting good stores. Price is between $20-40.

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Apparently, some little snot has been bullying my five year old at school. He sits at her table and decides whether or not she's been nice that day. If not, he "punishes" her by hitting her. Yesterday, he punched her in the stomach. I am livid! She hasn't told her teachers because she doesn't want him to get mad at her. She is really afraid of this kid and completely intimidated by him. Well, this mad mama called the teacher at home and explained everything. Having been a teacher, I don't want to start telling them how to do their jobs. But I want this kid moved away from my daughter immediately. She said she understood and would take care of it. I got the impression that this isn't the first time this kid has caused problems. Now I'm off to talk to my kiddos about standing up for themselves and not being afraid to speak up.

What an awful situation Lil. Poor L. I can understand she doesn't want to speak up, but it's good that you teach her to stand up for herself.

Wow, this is a hard one, lildago. I can understand your daughter not wanting to speak up. He's liable to just make it worse. But you're absolutely correct in teaching your daughter to stand up for herself. There are bullies everywhere, not just in school. Keep us posted!

+ Reply to Thread