+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    Ahh, the Santa sitting ritual. Our Walmart had the seedist-looking Santa a few years back. I swear he looked like a drunk they dragged off the street. I mentioned it at work and someone said, "Don't you know who that is?" Turned out to be a local minister. Now that's sending a weird message.
    It's equally weird that the local minister "looks like a drunk they dragged off the street".

Here's my teenage daughter story from Friday.

Let me preface the story first by saying my daugher lost her cell phone about a month ago (), and I gave her mine so that I could be in contact with her. Also, when our daughter got her driver's license, and we found a used car for her (two years ago), we drew up a contract with do's and don'ts and had her sign it. One of these don'ts was not to let anyone else drive her car......can you guess where this is going?

My daughter's official last day of school for the holiday break was noon, Friday. She came home, then asked me if it would be all right if she went back to school to see if her finals were graded yet (she's a serious student). I told her I needed to go to the mall for some last minute stuff and she could go, so she left. She called me from her car to say that I should stay home....there was a terrible accident on the freeway, and all the roads were choked with traffic. I really had to go though, so I went anyway. Ok...so here I am sitting in a traffic nightmare, creeping along, on the opposite side of town from the high school. I'm sitting in my car, when I suddenly take note of the car in front of me. Hmm. It looks very similar to our daughter's car. Hmm. I look in the driver's seat, and it's a guy, so obviously it's not her car. I glance at the license plate, and although I can't remember her exact plate, I realize it has some of the same numbers and letters as hers. Hmm. I take out a piece of paper and pen and start writing down the plate, thinking won't Mr. Rose, Lil Rose and I get a kick out of this coincidence. Just as I'm writing down the last number, the passenger pulls down the visor (which has a mirror on it), and how odd.....it almost looks like my daughter's eyes. Ok.....it's beginning to sink in.....it appears the passenger is looking right at me in their mirror....so I point with a quizzical look on my face. The passenger turns around and waves with a big smile. IT'S MY DAUGHTER. WTF?!?!?! I am speechless sitting in my car. The traffic is so bad, she actually has time to get out of her car, and jumps into mine, saying lightheartedly, "Hi!" My response was, "YOU ARE SO BUSTED!" To which she innocently says, "What are you talking about?" I rattled off, who is driving your car, why aren't you at school, is this why you didn't want me to leave the house, and where are you going? Her immediate response, with a smile and wide, innocent eyes was, "I'm going to buy your Xmas present." To which I said, "nice try, smooth answer, but you're not getting away with this". Eventually it came out that she called Mr. Rose (since she couldn't reach me, BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE MY PHONE, SHE DOES), and said she was done at school, could she go to the mall with Steve (a friend), to which he said yes. As to why Steve was driving her car, her foot got tired (she has a clutch :rolleyes) in the traffic, so he took over for her. As to why she was violating her 'contract', we got the ever-popular, "I didn't remember that clause" :rolleyes. Oy. As soon as we got home, I pulled out her contract and highlighted the clause that states:

'I will not let anyone else drive or use any vehicle entrusted to me'.

So, she begins her holiday vacation grounded. She can only go to work and back. Those of you with little ones, try not to let this scare you too much. For those of you who have survived the teenage years, I bow to you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by LATAS
    Have I mentioned the Christmas list to Santa?

The 4 year old would like... and I quote...

"A pink pony....... a racecar....... a fire truck.....

and a pink toilet."

I ask you, does Santa squeeze plumbing supplies down the chimmney?

And where the heck is Santa to FIND one??????

My Rose was originally from New York, .

Thanks for the laughter this morning. Will paint stick to a plastic toilet seat? One year our daughter asked Santa for a new car for mom and dad. He said, he'd think about it. I was so disappointed Christmas morning when I ran out to the garage, and it wasn't there.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Oh boy, as much as my little ones drive me bonkers I can so wait for the teenage years. I have friends with teenagers and the one thing I have vowed to never ever say is this... "Well, I did it when I was a teenager so..." I did some things as a teenager too but IMO it doesn't make it right nor should it excuse your child.

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2
    Oh boy, as much as my little ones drive me bonkers I can so wait for the teenage years. I have friends with teenagers and the one thing I have vowed to never ever say is this... "Well, I did it when I was a teenager so..." I did some things as a teenager too but IMO it doesn't make it right nor should it excuse your child.
    Funny you should mention this. When Mr. Rose, his older brother, and 3 step-brothers were teenagers, they got their hands on some cigars, piled into a car, and were driving around town puffing away when they stopped at a signal, looked over to their left and who should be sitting in the car next to them? His mother and stepfather. BUSTED! Must be Murphy's law!

Quote Originally Posted by LATAS
    a pink toilet."

I ask you, does Santa squeeze plumbing supplies down the chimmney?

And where the heck is Santa to FIND one??????

why, eBay of course! LOL
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

okay the kids have only been out of school over the weekend......and I thought they would drive me crazy........do they agree to disagree secretly just to make us crazy........ Then this morning they were getting along which is just great but then I was sending them to their (non relative)set of grandparents across town for today until tommorrow evening........

roseskid sorry about your daughter getting in trouble right at Christmas time.......I guess on the bright side it could have been alot of worse things......
    But on another note she could have saved herself alot of trouble if she had been driving herself..........It's true mom's know everything and we are everywhere.............
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Roses - I like your style. You set the rules and you stand by them. Good job. I love the line about her foot getting tired...I could almost picture myself as a teenager coming up with that one!

Glad you stuck to your guns rose. I am so not looking foward to the teenage years at all!

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    For those of you who have survived the teenage years, I bow to you.
    I'm so glad my kids are grown.
    Here's one on my son.
    I got divorced when my kids were 5 (daughter) and 7 (son). I had custody but they ended up back with mom after a few years (long story). Fast forward to my son's senior year of high school. Mom moves back to Cleveland, son moves in with Dad to stay in Columbus to graduate with his class and to live here, not Cleveland. Son has his own car bought and paid for by himself. Son proceeds to accumulate tickets. Dad goes to court with son and is advised to get lawyer if son wants to even be able to get a restricted license to allow him work and school privileges only. I got a lawyer and the day we were to go to court I had to have a hernia repair. My lawyer got a continuance. He called me at home the day of my out patient surgery to ask about the "other " speeding ticket the son had. Turns out my son got another ticket, didn't tell me, called juvenile court posing as me and had the court date postponed because "I can't get off work."
    I climbed the stairs to his room, kicked open his door and went off like I have never done before. I grounded him, took away "his" car and the boy got to stay home and take care of Dad for awhile. Ended up costing me $750 for a lawyer to be able to have him get a restricted license so he could get to school and work. His reasoning behind it all? "Geez Dad, we were getting along so good and I wanted to keep it that way." Yep, that's a good way to do it..lie to me.

Well folks it is time for my family to go on our Christmas holiday. I just wanted to pop in quick to wish you all and your families a joyous season filled with health, love & happiness. (and ofcourse being spoiled by Santa himself) Take Care

+ Reply to Thread