+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 572 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119519 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

My favorite part was just waking up every morning to that sleeping angelic face.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by dreaminginblond
    Use common sense when making your decision but deep down know that it is YOUR decision and nobody but nobody should tell you how to raise your kids. Make choices for yourself and your situation.

Hope that helps alittle.

I think that's well said, DIB. Sometimes what works for one family doesn't work for another at all. Babies are little individuals that take to things differently and there isn't always one approach
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I love seeing their sleeping faces, too, VeeJay. My wife and I check on the kids every night before we go to bed. We're always smiling like idiots when we see them up there in their beds. Our daughter always has her arms thrown out in some weird scarecrow configuration. My older son is usually hugging some book he fell asleep while looking at (in the dark ). And our "baby" (almost 2, as I mentioned earlier) often has his arms and legs sticking out of the crib. I always put them back in. The kid is fast becoming too big for a crib, anyway. He's wearing clothes his older brother wore just last year! By that I mean 3T clothing...on our 22-month-old. Holy Moses!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    I hesitantly admit that we co-sleep with our little guy (hesitant because I know it can be controversial.) We love it and wouldn't have it any other way. My favorite part of the day is curling up next to his already asleep, warm body when I go to sleep and listening to his little snores. He sleeps much better, it was MUCH easier when breastfeeding (just roll over, latch on, fall back to sleep vs. half hour in the rocker), and like VJ, the mornings are great. He usually wakes me up with a "good morning hug and kiss." We have a king bed so it works well for us, particularly on those nights when he has a foot in dad's ear and his head on my pillow.
    I support the right to arm bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    He's wearing clothes his older brother wore just last year! By that I mean 3T clothing...on our 22-month-old. Holy Moses!
    That's the way mine is/was. His daddy's a huge guy and he's built just like him so he'll be big too.

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later when parents get together. I might as well be the first. Here's mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

I've always been a huge fan of the "whatever works for you" mode of childrearing. There is no formula that works for every child or every family. And if everyone is happy, healthy, and getting enough sleep...well, if it's not broken...
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Size-wise, my kids are quite a mix. The clothes coming off my 6 year old's back go right onto my three year old (the bruiser of the bunch--he wears 5T), while the "baby" (who will be two in April) is still wearing clothes the big guy outgrew when he was six months old. Thank goodness Phoenix only has one and a half seasons. It makes it so much easier to trade those clothes around.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Quote Originally Posted by chompstick
    I hesitantly admit that we co-sleep with our little guy (hesitant because I know it can be controversial.)
    Don't hesitate - the trolls aren't here on FORT, they're wandering around in public parks waiting to pounce and give you their opinions. :rolleyes

Kids are so complicated and each one is different - I don't know why people feel like there's only one way to do things. I put so much thought into every action I take with my child, I don't have time to correct everyone else's parenting style!

And yet, those people are out there. Here's one that stands out in my mind: I was walking in a crowded touristy town with my 3-month-old daughter in a stroller. Out of the blue this woman walks up to me and says, "That's about the WORST thing you can do for your child."

Instantly I have this horrible adrenaline rush and I drop down to my sleeping daughter's level expecting her to be holding a razorblade or toppling out or something drastic. Oblivious, this woman went on to share her advice that putting a baby in a stroller is depriving them of their mother's warmth and comfort and it's better to put them in a "sling". I tell you, I was so upset I just walked away and found my husband in a shop down the block. I really wish I'd told that woman off.

Tirlittan What country or place was anti-breastfeeding? Just curious.

VJ What a doll! He's adorable.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    And yet, those people are out there. Here's one that stands out in my mind: I was walking in a crowded touristy town with my 3-month-old daughter in a stroller. Out of the blue this woman walks up to me and says, "That's about the WORST thing you can do for your child."

Instantly I have this horrible adrenaline rush and I drop down to my sleeping daughter's level expecting her to be holding a razorblade or toppling out or something drastic.

VJ What a doll! He's adorable.
    Thanks.

I know about those adrenaline rushes. Nothing cuts to the quick like a jibe to your parenting skills.

Paulie, I forgot to say your posts made me think about Dads getting no respect for having the kids in the grocery store, and I have to say you're right. But it's obvious you are a caring and conscientious parent to us FORTers. You get my respect for being a great dad!

Here's a little ditty about strangers jumping in to talk to your kids when they're upset - once we were at a park bathroom having a rough potty moment because there was a penny in the toilet. My daughter was spooked, but not freaking out exactly, she just wanted the penny gone before she would go. I was talking to her in my patient voice that she had to go even though there was a penny or we would have to go back home. There was a 2nd stall, but it looked like it would be a long time and as her mom, I knew she really had to go RIGHT then. The woman in the next stall was listening, and I guess she was taking it as some sort of criticism that she was taking too long. She starts yelling in this horrible angry voice, "just wait a few minutes and I'll be done! What's wrong with you?" This stranger doesn't know my daughter and it turns out having to "wait" is a trigger with her. She gets very anxious if you use the word "wait" (we always say "hold it" or something different). So not only does this scare her, but it's some mad voice out of nowhere saying it! She ended up having an accident right on the spot while and went completely ballistic. By the time we got cleaned up and settled down, the woman was long gone. Argh, some people!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread