+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

okay I just want to say everyone give their little ones an extra hug tonight.
    My kids had a note sent home today that a 2nd grade girl was abducted while walking to school in the same town as me but a different elementary school.
    She was even walking with her older brother but the guy only took the little girl. So, anyway the abductor let her go near an intersection and an ambulance stopped to help her. She is reportedly okay but jeez I'm like totally shaken up by this..... .

My kids walk to school too.......now granted its only 2 blocks and most of the time I walk with them but occasionally I don't...........and my daughter is in 2nd grade and my son is in 6th but he is small for his age.......
    and it just scares the *&^% out of me .

Thanks for listening and hug your children extra tight......
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Oh, Pansy, how frightening for you and all those who live around you, including that poor little girl and her family. I tell you, we parents have to be so diligent these days. My girl is 17, and I still harp on her constantly to be aware of strangers pretending to be photographers, or looking for lost puppies. I tell her to make sure she locks her car doors, even in the daytime. When she walks to her car at night after work, have a male coworker walk her to her car, etc. You just can't be too careful.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    Here's a question for you parents of young kids. What is your feeling on "follow-up" doctor visits after your child has been to the doctor for an illness? A little over a week ago my daughter had an ear infection. The doctor prescribed antibiotics and told us to bring her back in two weeks to make sure the infection is gone. It ends up that the appointment needs to be changed because my wife won't be able to bring her on the day the appointment was originally for. My wife and I were talking about it and we don't see a reason to bring her back at all. She took the antibiotics for the full ten days, and she has no symptoms. We just don't want to have to bring her back to the doctors office to sit in the waiting room with a bunch sick kids where she could easily pick up other germs.It makes me wonder if this is just a cutie pie way for the doctor to get more money from the insurance company (and my $15 copay) by billing for another office visit.

What is your opinion on this?
    Here is my take on the subject. This is one of those I can't believe I as a mother could let this happen to my child... My daughter had "many" ear infections from age 1 to 2. The last four infections turned out to be just one continuous infection that lasted 6 months. If I had taken my daughter back for the follow ups this would have been caught. The medicine was only working to the point that her ears would quit hurting and she would show no signs of having an infection, but the infection was still there. Once we realized what was going on, the doctor sent her for tubes, none of the 4 medicines that were tried on her were working. When they tested her hearing she was barely above the line of being deaf. That was the capacity of her hearing because of all the fluid in her ears at the time. Needless to say her speech was starting to get slurred also. At the young age of 2 they put tubes in her ears, also took out her adenoids and tonsils. We have since been infection free. Ear infections are one thing I will ALWAYS follow up with.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I need help. Naturally, I thought of this thread.

My daughter is 4, almost 4 1/2. She is driving me nuts with screaming demands from me rather than asking in a normal tone of voice, much less using polite words. Some examples: yelling for me to get her a pair of socks from her drawer; yelling across the house for me to hold a toy for her instead of just putting it down so she could do whatever it was she was attempting to do; screaming for me to come in the bathroom and rip the toilet paper for her, or flush the toilet. All of these are things she can do by herself, but for some reason, she gets in these moods and doesn't want to lift a finger or even talk in a normal voice. Surprisingly, if I'm asking her to clean up her toys or her breakfast dishes or something she spilled, she cheerfully does it, sometimes before I can even ask her to.

I don't know where to go with this. The yelling and being really disrepectful is what gets to me, although it's frustrating to have the simplest tasks bogged down because she's furious that I ask her to put on her shoes. Now, with her teachers at school and her aunt next door, she will ask politely for someone to pass her a crayon. With me, it's "give it to me, Mom! NOW!"

Any thoughts?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Hep,
    The first thing that came to mind was the fact she is polite with other adults. To me, that is HUGE. Kids are like all of us in terms of they tend to lash out at those they are most comfortable around. Take pride that the manners you have taught her really have sank in as she is displaying them in public. I know it is frustrating but sometimes it seems their skulls are so thick you think nothing is getting through but obviously they are. I'm not sure what your situation is in terms of other children, commitments at home etc but, I personally don't go running unless there is blood (not entirely true but you get the picture) Quite frankly its not feasible for most people. I would say to tell her that you are not going to respond when she yells at you, if she needs help that is fine but she needs to ask for it in a nicer way. The other thing I think is to pick your battles, so many things just arent worth the arguement. The sock thing for example, IMO who cares if she is wearing socks? If she wants them bad enough she can either get them herself or ask you nicely to get them. JMO
    Good luck with it!!

PS - Thanks for all the book titles all, i am going to go to the book store and see if i can find one i like and then see if i can get it cheaper at Amazon, Thanks again !!

Hep - IMO she's testing you to see if the line has moved at all. I'll bbl to elaborate...
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Paulie you helped a lot. Nothing like getting the information from someone who's been there. I certainly don't intend to panic over it. He is really young and very opinionated (family trait) so I think if we don't make a big deal of it we can just figure it out as time goes on. It's not like it will be corrected if we catch it immediately, so no reason to panic. He colored a picture at school yesterday and it was ALL red. I asked him what color that was and he said black.
    But the kid has a real handle on the English language He told me he wanted some chocolate milk and I asked if he was hungry. His answer still makes me smile. " Kind of a little bit but not much."
    Hep, this kid demands that WE do things for him but then he will offer to help do other things. I'm standing there wondering why he thinks it's beneath him to pick up his toys but is eager to run the little Dirt Devil.
    We had a disturbing thing happen in Memphis yesterday. A fourteen year old boy was beaten to death in the bathroom at school. They think it was gang related. My daughter in law worked on him for almost an hour in the ER but she said he was actually DOA. I remember how safe I always felt at school. It's so sad. My other grandson who is a Junior in high school told me a couple of years ago that he and his friends never go to the bathroom alone. They go as a group. I hate that things have gotten to that point.

Muduh thats the scariest thing I've heard. There was an attempted abduction of a 12 yr old girl in a Toronto neighbourhood yesterday... all the frikking whackos must just froth at the mouth thinking of school being back in session
    I'm starting to think that ALL children should be bussed to school and dropped off at their front door - screw 'cost effectiveness' and concentrate on safety of our children instead!!!

Hep - re: the testing thing. She's picking up new and wonderful :rolleyes habits/phrases/behaviours at pre-school but she's also had a taste of freedom.. so either she's testing you to see if her boundaries have moved at all (gauging your reaction) or she wants to make sure that you haven't forgotten about her and you will still be there for her even though she's a 'growing up' .. this is one of the main reasons kids have a hard time toilet training. They think that no more diapers means you aren't a baby anymore and they won't get the same kind of attention. There's a lot of bonding/teaching/reassurance that goes on when it's one on one bum changing time.
    I'd also tell darlinggirl that I can't hear her when she's hollering, I can only hear inside voices.

A little quirk my daughter has started is hollering for an answer when she's in bed.
    Mom??
    Mommy??
    MOMMYYYYYY!!!!!!!
    What is it Mere? You are supposed to be sleeping..
    Mommy? are you here?
    Yes, I'm here now go to sleep....
    and she does. It's a normal 4 yr old fear.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Muduh, that is really scary. And sad that kids arent safe even inside the school walls anymore
    Duxxy, we go through pretty much the same with my younger son. As soon as lights are out he starts calling for me. His thing is just "Scratch my back", he finds it soothing when someone goes and rubs his back. Maybe in his case it is a remnant from when I used to have him on my shoulder (after he ate) waiting for him to burp, and I rubbed his back.
    About what the boys do... Here are a couple of pictures of my older son and his new hobby. He draws badges and cards (Yuh-gi-oh/Pokemon style etc) because we the evil parents won't buy him any He made himself a mask, sword, badge and shield the other day. I can't remember what they were exactly called (he names them all), but surely something like The Dark Sword of Doom, and the Lightning Badge of Protection etc. It is quite funny when his friend brings his Yuh-gi-oh cards over and my son has drawn his own absolutely superior unbeatable monsters (e.g. "Mindcontrol"), and then they "duel" LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Tirlittan, those have got to be the cutest pictures I have EVER seen. What a fabulous imagination he has and wonderful creativity.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread