+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Thanks for the feedback everyone
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    Here's a question for you parents of young kids. What is your feeling on "follow-up" doctor visits after your child has been to the doctor for an illness? A little over a week ago my daughter had an ear infection. The doctor prescribed antibiotics and told us to bring her back in two weeks to make sure the infection is gone. What is your opinion on this?
    First off, Stargazer, what a wonderful site you found. You are a terrific friend to go the extra mile and suggest a color blindness test site and then provide the link.

Now FinallyHere, I know going back for a return visit to the doctor is a major hassle, but when it comes to ear infections, I would have to say take her back in. I got an ear infection at the age of 35, and I can tell you it hurt so badly I cried in the doctor's office. I told my husband if we were ever lucky enough to have children, and one of them said to us that their ear hurt, I would go anywhere at anytime to get them into a doctor's office. And the thing about infections like this is the antibiotic can sometimes kick it down just enough that you think it's gone, only to be still alive and kicking just enough that in a few days it's back stronger than ever. Our daughter had such a horrible time with ear infections, that at the age of 3 we finally had tubes put into her ears, and that was the perfect answer for her -- she never had another ever. You just might take her back in to find that everything's fine, and the odds are pretty good that will happen, but if the infection is still lurking around in her ears, it could turn into a bigger problem. Just friendly advice.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

If the doctor tells me to book an appointment in 2 weeks, I do it. Maybe it is because we don't have to pay for it, I'm not sure.

Last week my oldest came home from school (she's 8) saying some older kids were teasing her and her friend on the way home from school. So I asked what was going on etc. and she said they were calling them names, not vulgar but dealing with male body parts if u catch my drift. Not a big deal, I told her to ignore them etc. I also sat her down and explained what that body part was and left it at that. Anyhow, my question to you all is this........ Is there an age when you should start discussing anatomy of the opposite sex, and then go into the birds and the bees type stuff??? I don't want to give her too much but I also dont want her to be sheltered. We had the deodorant talk, Im thinking about introducing the becoming a woman stuff but geeeeeeeesh why cant she just stay 8 forever??? Any feedback would be more than welcome, thanks !!

Oh lord...ima, my heart goes out to you I'm a few years away from that, thank gawd.

I heard that if they're old enough to ask, they're old enough to be told. Sometimes I think the sooner the better, or they'll learn it in the schoolyard.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I totally agree with the playground thing AJ, but she hasnt asked so do I keep my mouth shut for a while longer

Oh, horrors...I just had a thought...maybe she already knows.

I would say the optimum time to tell girls, anyway, would be around the same time they start to menstruate. They are starting earlier and earlier, mind you...my girlfriend's daughter started with the headaches and the cramps at age 9.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

ima, about the "girl" stuff, a great book for introduction is "The Body Book For Girls" from the American Girl store. I got it for my girl when she was about 8. It deals only with "girl stuff", from head to toe. Hair, skin, deodorant, measuring her chest, etc. Just touches briefly on the becoming a woman stuff, and a little on positive body image to prevent eating disorders. It has a great drawing of a normal sized girl looking in the mirror and seeing herself big.

Now about boy stuff. My girl got a baby brother when she was three so she knew they were different. I answered her questions as they came along, but minimally, not too much info. The schools here do "Human Growth & Development" at the end of 4th, 5th and 6th grades. In 4th and 5th it is info only for their own sex, but in 6th they learn about both. I found out what was being taught and made sure she got it from me first.

By the way, the kids call it "Human Gross & Development".
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Veej, you did have *the talk* with her too, right? My mom gave me a book when I was 11 (mind you, it was written in the '50's, and I'm not THAT old...I recall a part about how "unmarried" girls shouldn't use tampons ) and I felt like she couldn't be bothered to sit down and talk to me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Veej, you did have *the talk* with her too, right? My mom gave me a book when I was 11 (mind you, it was written in the '50's, and I'm not THAT old...I recall a part about how "unmarried" girls shouldn't use tampons ) and I felt like she couldn't be bothered to sit down and talk to me about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    I found out what was being taught and made sure she got it from me first.
    Oh, yes. I just didn't want to do it any earlier than I had to.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Ooops, must read entire post more carefully, I was busy laughing at the Human Gross and Development thing.

+ Reply to Thread