+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 572 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    I'm with you Spegs. My 3yr old daughter is a non-sleeper. Not only does she have full energy with less sleep in total than any of us, I feel like some mornings, I have to go through the house to see who ended up sleeping where (husband snores, moves into guest room....baby cries, moves into guest room with Daddy....baby cries, moves into room with mommy....baby cries, mommy or daddy sleeping with baby in baby's bed)
    I have two words to help me through...."DIET COKE"

Quote Originally Posted by realitycrazmom
    My other sister-in-law's first baby that was tongue-tied and he couldn't latch on well. So, she pumped for about 4 months. But she told everyone that he was breastfed. :rolleyes I told her that she's fudging the truth. (I secretly wished that her next baby had razor-sharp gums---she did! )
    As someone who was in your SIL's position, I'd like to offer her side for a moment.

My daughter was born a month premature. She was a big, healthy girl (7 1/2 pounds), but she was unable to latch on. I did have a great experience with the LL ladies. Two of them worked for about four hours trying to get it to happen but it just wouldn't. They said she just wasn't showing the interest try. So, I had to pump.

Pumping is not fun. It squeezes and pinches your nipple in a very painful way. It's also not as convenient as breast feeding or bottle-feeding. Your entire day is spent either pumping or feeding them what you pumped or cleaning out the bottles to start all over again. I felt cheated and frustrated that I couldn't have the calm *bonding* experience that other mothers have. I had to endure the looks and comments from women who acted like there was something wrong with me because I wasn't able to breastfeed in the technical sense.
    I also had other women constantly questioning why I just didn't give it up entirely and go to formula. I knew that breastmilk was best, however, and I stuck with it despite it all.
    I remember it as a very disappointing and frustrating time.

My daughter did eventually learn to breastfeed 3 months into it. For me it was a great relief because I found it much easier than pumping even with her razor gums. Unfortunately, I was only able to breastfeed for about a month before I again had to stop for medical reasons.

I'm very proud to say I breastfed. I know that your comment wasn't meant in any bad way, but I think that mother's who pump often get shortchanged when they should be applauded for continuing despite their difficulties. So, I just wanted to offer my opinion as someone who has seen both sides of the fence
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    SG, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, and glad that you had one month of that special bonding you were longing for. I think pumping is the hardest way to go, and I highly commend you for sticking with what you thought best for your daughter. I pumped briefly and felt it was so demeaning, but I did it anyway, and eventually was able to breastfeed fulltime.
    I support the right to arm bears.

Quote Originally Posted by evalaruefan
    Hi Moms, thanks to AJ for telling me about this thread, cool!

Before I start, mama Harold, you must share some recipes~lol

What a great thread....can't wait to talk to more of you mommies....
    As a devout Food Network junkie, I'm always ready and willing to share!

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    I'm with you Spegs. My 3yr old daughter is a non-sleeper. Not only does she have full energy with less sleep in total than any of us, I feel like some mornings, I have to go through the house to see who ended up sleeping where (husband snores, moves into guest room....baby cries, moves into guest room with Daddy....baby cries, moves into room with mommy....baby cries, mommy or daddy sleeping with baby in baby's bed)
    I have two words to help me through...."DIET COKE"
    I spend the first ten minutes of every morning just locating my children. The littlest can get out of his crib so easily, I don't know why we bother putting him in it. The middle kid sometimes scares me. He'll end up asleep behind the couch, under a pile of clothes in the closet, once INSIDE a kitchen cabinet...I find the panic attack is helpful to jump start the morning. (I can't stand diet coke, but diet dr. pepper is a lifesaver.)
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Quote Originally Posted by chompstick
    SG, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, and glad that you had one month of that special bonding you were longing for. .
    Thanks chomp IT's too bad to see that so many women had a bad experience with La Leche. The ones I encountered were very supportive. They probably thought they were doing the right thing by being pushy, but sounds like they did more harm than good.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by spegs
    Oh, I'm with you there AJ! Who are these kids that sleep through the night at 2 weeks???? I've been trying to convince myself that they don't exist so I can feel better about my little devils who STILL are not sleeping through the night at 22 months and THREE YEARS. Where do I hand in my resignation? I want to go back to bed.
    Oh my god! We've found another one FinallyHere (a daddy here at FORT) and I thought we were the only ones Glad to know there are more parents of two year olds who don't sleep through the night. My husband and I are hoping that sometime before she starts high school, she'll actually sleep a night or two

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    My 3 yr old son hasn't slept throught the night yet. I've considered, on occasion, giving him some of that cold medicine that knocks you out (just so I could get a few winks). But I didn't when I read the side effects, and one of them was excitability and hyperactivity instead of sleepiness. Knowing my luck...
    I support the right to arm bears.

FORT Newbie
    I can't tell you because you won't believe me!

Staying at home

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    are you trying to tell me I'm a thread killer?? LOL um yeah I kinda noticed that.. disregard the breast nazis and tell us why you decided to work/stay home.

When hubby and I finally decided that we wanted a child we agreed that one of us should stay home and raise him/her. Since hubby made way more money than I did, I was the one to stay home.
    I hated being at home all day, all alone (with the baby) I needed a challenge. Not to say that raising a child isn't busy and challenging but having worked since I was legally able I didn't know what to do with myself sitting at home with just me and the kiddo. So .. I decided to open a licensed home daycare. Now I get the best of both worlds. My kiddo has playmates, the things I would have only done for her I do for 5 and the money certainly is nice. It's not really good money but it keeps us in groceries and playdoh
    I was a "career woman" before having children. I happen to be one of those women who LOVE being a mom, but really really didn't like being pregnant. I will say that I've worked harder and more caring for my two little ones that I EVER did working at an office...that with no vacation, sick time, coffee breaks or adult stimulation. Can I have a promotion? I have been known to think/say.

While being at home was the right thing for me, I had to start working part time for some sanity. I used my real estate background and started selling homes. It allowed me to be home with my children, have adult interaction, and has become very financially lucrative.

Its been 7 years, and I still own my own business and work out of my home. I'm here in the mornings to see them off to school, am able to be home when they get home from school, and the trade off has been well worth it. I schedule my business around inservice days, school holidays and summer vacation.

I remember being in a situation where (before working) someone asking me "what do you do" and I replied that I was an at home mom. The look of distain I got was just flat condescending. As if being a mom wasn't a REAL job/career...I must say I had a secret SNARK moment when asking that same person "so, what do you do" and she said she was a hostess at a local restaurant. Personally, I felt that my career choice was just as valid (if not more) than seating folks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chompstick
    My 3 yr old son hasn't slept throught the night yet. I've considered, on occasion, giving him some of that cold medicine that knocks you out (just so I could get a few winks). But I didn't when I read the side effects, and one of them was excitability and hyperactivity instead of sleepiness. Knowing my luck...

With the kiddie version of those knock-out drugs (triaminic nightrest, etc--which I only give them when they have colds, don't throw any rocks!) my kids get hyperactive. There's no justice.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

+ Reply to Thread