+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 572 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114514 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    By the way how many of you are step moms? I was one for awhile, and also delusional when it came to family relations. Would hope step moms would step in and share their stories as well...hope that is ok
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by evalaruefan
    Anyone have trouble feeding their kids? People freak out every time I say my 2 year old will eat anything and everything and would never stop eating if she had the choice. There is nothing she's refused so far and for her entire 2 years (except 2 days when she was really sick) has never skipped a meal yet left anything on her plate. Is this normal??? Better than not eating I guess but it's like she's never full. Looks like my son will be the same way.
    Oh, I wish my son would eat like that! My sister's girls all eat really good too. I've never seen them turn down anything. My kid on the other hand wouldn't even eat any of his own birthday cake. I guess in that instance it's good but gee wiz.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by chompstick
    BTW, I would highly recommend trying LaLeche to anyone who is having trouble nursing or wants support. I had heard all the nazi things, too, but my sister-in-law convinced me to give it a try. I was having a really, really hard time at first and one of the LLL leaders came out to my house, the Saturday before Christmas (when I'm sure she had a ton to do with her 3 kids), to help me for 4 hours! Everyone in my chapter is amazing, the leaders are very educated in breastfeeding, and in fact, they all follow strict guidelines to never speak negatively towards or about anyone who decides to bottlefeed, for whatever reason. )
    I would have to agree, I was barely involved with LaLeche, but when I was having trouble breast feeding my second, a consultant from LaLeche spent about 3 hours with me working on different holds and ways of doing it. She was wonderful as were the other moms I spoke to. I wish I had known about them for my first as we had a little trouble too, but my sister (a more experenced breast feeding mother came to the rescue that time)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I have a friend who had alot of trouble getting pregnant but after invitro 4 times it finally worked and she has twins!!! Another girl I know tried invitro and it never worked and her and her husband adopted a beautiful girl from Russia and are in the process of adopting another child.

on vacation
    Wow, being an older female, I read this thread and feel like I don't have anything in common with you girls! ( I think it's awesome that you all have a place to talk about all these things.)

My son is 21 yrs old and besides an ugly delivery because of a very large head, my son slept through the night at 2 weeks and always was a voracious eater. As a matter a fact, the worse the baby food smelled, the more he liked it.

All I can tell all of you that really relates to anything that you've discussed so far even remotely is that the way I felt about my son from the second he was born was the most unconditional love I have ever felt. I still do. He's my only child and even though he is/always was an awesome kid, I wouldn't change one second of my life since he was born. I look at him now, a senior in college and am so proud of who he is and how he's turned out and realize that having him in my life has made me such a better person and even though it's sometimes rough being a mom, it's the best job in the whole world!

Okie girls, sorry for the interuption.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

Dreaming, it sounds like you've had a wonderful go at motherhood . It's gotta be really hard now that he's all grown up to start *letting him go* into adulthood. I personally don't look forward to that day.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay
    I personally don't look forward to that day.
    Depends on which day you ask me, personally
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Dreaming-thanks for that story. It is a beautiful sentiment about your experience as a mother. You're not interupting at all!

Quote Originally Posted by junkiegirl
    By the way how many of you are step moms? I was one for awhile, and also delusional when it came to family relations. Would hope step moms would step in and share their stories as well...hope that is ok
    I'm a step-mom but it is really a surreal situation for me so I'm probably not one to share much of interest. My step-sons are 17 and 22 and I'm about to be 35 so it's more like having other adults in the house when they're around. Although, I met them when they were 12 and 17, the only problems I've had having a step-family is when the oldest was graduating and his MOM had the nerve to call ME (whom I've never spoken to before mind you) and tell me that I was not welcome at the graduation; she told me that no one would appreciate me being there and it would make everyone uncomfortable. Needless to say, I went anyway because I thought it was ridiculous. After all, she needed to accept that I was now part of his life too since I was with his DAD and no one seemed to care, only her. Other than that, there are the occasional stumbling blocks on how to handle discipline with my son from my first marriage (who is my husband's step son). The biggest challenge has been how my husband can fit into my son's life.

You can PM me if you'd like to talk more about that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    Depends on which day you ask me, personally
    Oh, I'm with you there AJ! Who are these kids that sleep through the night at 2 weeks???? I've been trying to convince myself that they don't exist so I can feel better about my little devils who STILL are not sleeping through the night at 22 months and THREE YEARS. Where do I hand in my resignation? I want to go back to bed.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

I feel your pain Spegs. Mine wasn't a very good sleeper either. He never once slept throught the night until he was 15 months old. Even then not very often. When he was just tiny and collicky, I had to sleep on my side holding him just to get in a couple hours. He didn't establish a good sleeping pattern until he was about 3 1/2.
    But you’ve got two non-sleepers. Ay yi yi! Poor you.
    Last edited by VeeJay; 02-17-2004 at 10:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread