+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 574 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113513 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

RCM, you deserve a medal! Yup, you can hold that one over on him.

Were you on bed rest with the spotting? I got put on for four months because of early contractions. By the time baby was due I got dizzy just standing long enough to take a shower.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    RCM, you deserve a medal! Yup, you can hold that one over on him.

Were you on bed rest with the spotting? I got put on for four months because of early contractions. By the time baby was due I got dizzy just standing long enough to take a shower.
    Thanks

No, no bed rest, no early contractions, just consistent bleeding. They ultrasounded me up and down--nothing. My OB did one herself and pointed that there is a dark spot on the placenta, but had no conclusions. At 35 weeks, I wasn't getting any bigger when they measured my fundus. An impromptu ultrasound just said that I have a small baby girl. No change at the 36th week, so my OB decided that since apparently the baby wasn't growing anymore, we might as well go ahead and induce.

Sure enough, I had a 5 lb 7 oz baby girl. (Waste of an epidural, if you ask me! ) She was healthy, but skinny, skinny! In the end, there was an infarction (stroke or tear) on the placenta from the very beginning. She was even smaller than some of the preemies in the NICU, but she was full-term, so everything was fully-developed, just small. Baby-girl was getting blood and oxygen, but not much else. Those last few weeks babies are to gain all of their weight, well, she didn't. She's still a tiny thing, (she'll be 3 in March and weighs only 26 pounds soaking wet!) but she's a little mouse that roars!

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    Ooohh, that pushed my button. After I delivered my 2nd, I had a horrendous blood clot that they had to *remove*...I'll spare you the details...but apparently it impeded my ability to nurse. I tried everything, I pumped SIX times a day, I took meds that were supposed to increase lactation, I went to the lactation consultant, I guzzled milk, yadda, yadda, yadda. I did nurse my youngest for 6 months, but had to bottle supplement (the poor little thing just wasn't gaining weight without formula too). The pediatrician said there was no help for it, and my lactation consultant was very sweet and supportive.

Give me that beotch's phone number, hepcat...I'll be happy to explain to her that she's full of s**t...grrr...
    I'd also like to have a word with her...

"Lying"! The LLL here in AZ is pretty bad, too, or at least the ones I ran into were. I totally planned to breastfeed my children...I can't even tell you how bad I wanted that. But I have a condition called "hypoplasia" in my mammary glands (which they figured out after baby #2) which means that I don't have enough glandular tissue to produce milk. With my first son I went through all of the above--oh how I hated that @#$! double-sided electric milker! Talk about feeling like a cow!

I had LL nurses tell me I must be doing something wrong...that if I wasn't secretly unwilling to nurse it would work...on and on. It was six months of misery. I felt like they earned the "nazi" title and then some.

And the myths they perpetuate...the way people look at you when you pull out a bottle in a public place. I had a woman accost me in the Olive Garden when I was feeding my third. I gave her a very pointed lecture on the existance of medical conditions and the virtues of not being judgemental. She apologized, but I really wanted to hit her anyway.

So I'm sure there is a place for the LLL, but I think they can do as much harm as good.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Spegs and AJ, I'm sorry to hear about your LLL experiences. That's the last thing you need when you have a newborn. Wenches! I had to pump at first to stimulate my milk production, but not for long. It felt so degrading. I just kept thinking about cows.

So do you think Paulie's ever going to come back.....
    I support the right to arm bears.

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar

Doubt it, I gave him a $100 bill and some chocolate-chip cookies to stick around. With all of this breastfeeding talk, the last thing he'd want is a glass of milk to wash them down!

I breastfed my daughter for 9 months and didn't have any trouble which was graet but then i only breastfed my son for 6 weeks. my daughter was 1 1/2 and he wanted to eat every hour, it just got too demanding. He's now 7 months and a healthy 21 lbs and still eats all the time~lol

Anyone have trouble feeding their kids? People freak out every time I say my 2 year old will eat anything and everything and would never stop eating if she had the choice. There is nothing she's refused so far and for her entire 2 years (except 2 days when she was really sick) has never skipped a meal yet left anything on her plate. Is this normal??? Better than not eating I guess but it's like she's never full. Looks like my son will be the same way.

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by realitycrazmom

Doubt it, I gave him a $100 bill and some chocolate-chip cookies to stick around. With all of this breastfeeding talk, the last thing he'd want is a glass of milk to wash them down!
    Oh, RCM, you're BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I support the right to arm bears.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    Ooohh, that pushed my button. After I delivered my 2nd, I had a horrendous blood clot that they had to *remove*...I'll spare you the details...but apparently it impeded my ability to nurse. I tried everything, I pumped SIX times a day, I took meds that were supposed to increase lactation, I went to the lactation consultant, I guzzled milk, yadda, yadda, yadda. I did nurse my youngest for 6 months, but had to bottle supplement (the poor little thing just wasn't gaining weight without formula too). The pediatrician said there was no help for it, and my lactation consultant was very sweet and supportive.

Give me that beotch's phone number, hepcat...I'll be happy to explain to her that she's full of s**t...grrr...
    Woah, I missed your post AJ until someone quoted it!

I know, isn't that just crazy? One of the women in my class had so much trouble producing milk and did every trick in the book, but eventually the pediatrician told them to get that baby on formula before he starved. They had gotten to the point where they were feeding him drop by drop from a pinkie. I don't know why the LLL guest speaker felt she had to be so strident...we were all there willingly, just wanting to learn.

I am SO glad you had better professionals around you!

Spegs, isn't it amazing that just by virtue of having a baby in your arms - or being visibly pregnant for that matter - people think they can come up to you and say the most outrageously personal things? I can't imagine walking up to a stranger and criticizing her on her choice of footware, for example, but a stranger can come up and tell me not to feed my 2-year-old almonds?

I hope you gave her a hard time.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Wow great thread. Cabana boy? Yeah I could live with that too. I am a very single mom with 1 9 yo boy. He was the most awesome baby. Not fussy, always smiling, sleeping thru the nite at 5 weeks. His delivery was the most horrendous deal. Doctor was a major weiner!! My delivery was subject to HIS freakin' plans. (he was moving and tried to move up my delivery) I am part of a 2 child family. I always wanted to be an only child---didn't get my Christmas gift.... I still suffer from baby lust...I luuuuvve babies...their innocence, dependence, their total innocence at birth....but I would like to have another as well, but know I am not financially or emotionally ready for that. It is soooooo much harder seeing all the cute outfits for girls nowadays. Boys get the shaft with all the jeans or sweats..awww. For all you ladies who want more children, but can't or won't....please consider having a foster child in your home. Yes this is not your "real" child, but that can make a big difference in the life of a child who is disadvantged. Y'all sound like such wonderful moms/parents. If I were a 'displaced' child I would want to be part of your families....Your children would still have "family" that would be there for them after your passing, and would also have those siblings you wish for them. But they would not be there all the time. If you cannot see yourself being a parent to someone else's child, please consider being a mentor. And mention this to all your friends....we all need that 1 person who can guide us, whether it be a family member, teacher, cub scout leader etc. Those who can guide our nation's children to a better life. Who would not thrive in a FORT members presence?
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

+ Reply to Thread