+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    A question for any of the parents out there of grown up kids....is there any way to soothe your parents/grandparents worries about you? My family is always worried about me, and I realize this, but there's times I'm just gonna go off on my own and I really need to get the worry factor toned down just a bit (I'm 33, but always their baby of course). Example being that tonight I just broke it to them that I'm going to Chicago on my own in October for FORTCon...they are totally and completely freaked out by this. It's not the first time I've travelled on my own to meet friends from the internet, but the worry factor seems to get worse every time. I already sat thru 2 hours of lectures tonight..what can I do to try and ease the worries a little bit?
    Do any FORTies that are going to be at FORTcon live near you? Particularly a nice, well groomed, well mannered FORTy? If so, then introduce them to your family as an assurance that you will be safe and in good company at FORTcon. That way you can get into FORTcon without the guilt of the folks worrying away the weekend. If no one is near, then choose a FORTy for the folks to correspond with briefly so they feel at ease with the entire thing. I am sure there are plenty of folks that want to see you at FORTcon who would be glad to correspond with the folks. Just a thought.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

did they meet Texie, Libs?? oh wait... that won't work

"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

You best be piping it down, Duxx. I'm perfectly respectable if need be
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Feifer
    Do any FORTies that are going to be at FORTcon live near you? Particularly a nice, well groomed, well mannered FORTy? If so, then introduce them to your family as an assurance that you will be safe and in good company at FORTcon. That way you can get into FORTcon without the guilt of the folks worrying away the weekend. If no one is near, then choose a FORTy for the folks to correspond with briefly so they feel at ease with the entire thing. I am sure there are plenty of folks that want to see you at FORTcon who would be glad to correspond with the folks. Just a thought.
    Hey let me at them. Just pretend I'm with you and I will fill them full of crap about how all us "girls" are doing our nails and other very acceptable lies.
    My high school junior (grandkid) started back to school today. Then about October they have a weeks vacation. I'm not sure what's up with that. Not many people I know take October vacations. Then they get another two weeks at Christmas. Now the Tcap reviews begin so that they can score as high as possible. They'll study most of the year before the test starts and still there will be a large percentage to fail it. That's all for Bush's "No child left behind" program.
    Last edited by Muduh; 08-09-2004 at 04:20 PM.

A breaking news report just came on. A father left his baby in the car and it has died. The guy went to work and forgot that the 18 month old girl was in the car. He worked at a church here. The temp inside the car was 116 degrees when he remembered. The poor baby was in the car for four hours. That has happened with daycare vans here several times, but this is the first private vehicle I can remember. People just don't seem to profit by the mistakes of others.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Hey let me at them. Just pretend I'm with you and I will fill them full of crap about how all us "girls" are doing our nails and other very acceptable lies.
    My high school junior (grandkid) started back to school today. Then about October they have a weeks vacation. I'm not sure what's up with that. Not many people I know take October vacations. Then they get another two weeks at Christmas. Now the Tcap reviews begin so that they can score as high as possible. They'll study most of the year before the test starts and still there will be a large percentage to fail it. That's all fo Bush's "No child left behind" program.
    Yeah, Muduh, that's why we have the FCAT, too. "No child left behind." Don't get me started on high stakes testing. There is no justifiable reason that third graders should be having anxiety attacks over a test. It makes no sense whatsoever when one of the first things they teach us in education is NEVER to assess a student based on one test. *physically restraining myself from going on a rant*

I heard about a pastor somewhere who just last week left his child in a blazing hot locked vehicle and it died. Daddy was doing some sort of work related thing and thought the child would be all right.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    A breaking news report just came on. A father left his baby in the car and it has died. The guy went to work and forgot that the 18 month old girl was in the car. He worked at a church here. The temp inside the car was 116 degrees when he remembered. The poor baby was in the car for four hours. That has happened with daycare vans here several times, but this is the first private vehicle I can remember. People just don't seem to profit by the mistakes of others.
    OMG That is so horrible!!!!

That is the most horrible news. How do you "forget" about a child in the car, for a few minutes, let alone a few hours. That poor little baby. My heart goes out to the family of this child. What a terrible tragedy. I'm going to go pick up my daughter from my mom's house soon and just hold her and hold her.......
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

That makes me furious. I NEVER leave my kids in a vehicle, period. I called the cops on some idiots once who left their little guy sleeping in his carseat in front of a store once. Morons.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread