+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Oh yikes Libs, thats a tough one. Its so nice to see a family that actually gives a hoot about their grown daughter
    You could tell them that the Girlfriend's guide to a woman traveling alone is your new bible, you can promise to call before you leave, and on a specified day during your stay then again when you return home. Honestly, it's a parent's job to worry. I doubt very much that anything you say or do will quell their anxiety. You didn't cause it, you didn't elicit it, thats just the way things are going to be I guess.
    Be sure to tell them what a wonderful group of people we are and that you have special friends you'll be visiting with.. and give them jewel's address and phone number.. because you know if there's trouble.. she'll be involved
    Last edited by Duxxy; 08-06-2004 at 11:32 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Libs, you could show them the site. Of course, then they know everything you've been sayin'.

Not sure. I'm in the same boat, being the youngest of all my sibs. My parents still try to give me gas money, and I'm 34. Have a great time at FORTcon, then tell them, see? All that worry for nothing.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    A question for any of the parents out there of grown up kids....is there any way to soothe your parents/grandparents worries about you? My family is always worried about me, and I realize this, but there's times I'm just gonna go off on my own and I really need to get the worry factor toned down just a bit (I'm 33, but always their baby of course). Example being that tonight I just broke it to them that I'm going to Chicago on my own in October for FORTCon...they are totally and completely freaked out by this. It's not the first time I've travelled on my own to meet friends from the internet, but the worry factor seems to get worse every time. I already sat thru 2 hours of lectures tonight..what can I do to try and ease the worries a little bit?
    I doubt anything will make it easier for them. You need to do what you have to do and they will always fret and worry. You are their baby and that will never change. I used to travel over 100,000+ miles a year, alone, for my job and my parents still worry about any little thing I do. I have just come to accept it, tell them thanks for their concern and I will be carefull, then I have a good time and enjoy my trip. Even if you attend every year, they will worry every year...it's what they do best.

Have fun at FORTcon. I am going to Chicago in October but the week I will be there keeps flip flopping. I really hope it falls over at least one of the days!

Well, Sarah is home now. We spent yesterday afternoon together at the aquarium and a baseball game. She has been asleep for more than 9 hours now, I must have wore her out.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

My daughter loves me she saved me the last chocolate glazed timbit (doughnut hole) and presented it to me on a 'good' napkin. Gawd.. do they really have to grow up so fast??

Tonight is Mere's first sleepover. Her little friend Bianca will be staying the night. We have marshmallows for Rice Krispie treats and we bought new beads today for friendship bracelets...
    oh and I bought a huge bottle of wine for tomorrow night LMAO it should be fun!

Oooooooooooooooh Duxx...... the BBQ is tomorrow???
    You will let us know how it turns out right?
    If needed dont forget the "If drinking something, swallow now" warning

We have yet another princess party to attend tomorrow. I will forever remember the summer of '04 as the year of the 4-year-old princesses.

My sis-in-law grew up in the UK and just laughs at how American it is to have a "princess" party.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Hep, I am at the princess party thing...at my house, the princess party never ends.

On that note, my oldest girlie is back from her vacation with the grandparents

She came home with some new clothes for school...she had a mini-fashion show last night that nearly had me When did she get old enough for school? She has these chunky-heel black Hello Kitty shoes, her jeans are flared, and she looks like a short teenager in them It's not even that she's wearing anything inappropriate, she just looks so old. *sniff* The husband is already considering polishing up the old shotgun.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

junkie my bbq had to be cancelled due to lack of RSVP's!! buggers.

The princess tea party never ends here either..

Jane it's so sad to see them grow so fast.. you want them to be self sufficient but you still want to be able to snuggle once in a while.

OK! here's the latest installment of "as the stomach turns". The couple without the child has been living common law (they refer to themselves as husband/wife) They aren't married Apparently they decided that they had to break up or get married ... so
    ... we are attending a wedding at the end of the month
    Since they have lost 2/8 of their best friends and the other couple just isn't as close as the 4 of us are (not THAT close) most of the 'friend' burden has fallen to us. My husband is hosting the stag and I'm making food and helping with the set up. I love weddings... just strange how this one came about.

Oh... and the other couple is not invited Hopefully all 4 of them learned that you don't stick your toes in the neighbour's pond .. (even if he jokingly says its ok)

Say whaaaaat? Are you saying that one of the swinger couples is getting married as a RESULT of the aforementioned swinging?

The Jerry Springer fan in me would also like to see wedding pictures, when available.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread