+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 572 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Thanks, Eva, for sharing what your experience was like growing up as an only. I always like to hear how people liked it, and it's almost always positive. Glad you joined the Oasis.
    I support the right to arm bears.

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    Duxxy! I was mortified the first time I tried to nurse. I am pretty conservative/private and granted, when you are in delivery, modesty has no place, but even so, the nurse that helps show you how to get it going... THANKS! *go hide under a rock*
    My mother was a chapter director for LaLeche League for many years when I was young. If I remember right, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding was a coffee table book in our house! j/k

I took to it rather easily and even got involved with the LLL and volunteered at the hospital in assisting the lactation nurses for a while. But believe me, I was never nazi-ish about it and weaned both kidlets around 9 months. I have known friends who have nursed their babies for a lot longer and the general feeling I got from them is that there is some weird anxiety of stopping. Personally, that gives me the willies! The question always comes up on how long one should nurse. My opinion has always been that if they are needing to nurse more than the baby does, I say that is a HUGE sign to stop. IMHO

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    RCM-thanks for confirming that all lactation nurses are not nazi's Something about a child's first tooth can make you stop nursing real fast too!

Now for the REAL reason I came here.

I found out yesterday that my sister-in-law is pregnant!

The kicker...
    1. She's 42 years old and thought she was pre-menopausal.
    2. She has 4 kids. Oldest: 19 and in college. Youngest: just turned 9. (She was also very meticulous about spacing each child 3 years apart.)
    3. THE FUNNIEST THING OF ALL--during the fires this last fall, she went through and donated the rest of any baby furniture and clothing she had saved to the Red Cross, and that's about the time she got pregnant!
    4. Two weeks ago, my brother in law was talking about early retirement!

My husband and I are still in awe!

RCM-thanks for confirming that all lactation nurses are not nazi's Something about a child's first tooth can make you stop nursing real fast too!
    That was me! Once I was bitten, that was it. Done. Finished. Bottle Time! My son would laugh when I would jump and grimace. My daughter would get so upset and cry that she bit me.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Regarding your sister-in-law RCM- now that's the type of story that makes you want to go run out and have your tubes tied. WOW!

Ineedalife owns no more baby furniture, clothes or toys-eeekkk

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Hey Karna, ditto for me. I have one 3-year-old daughter, and it's looking more and more like she will be an only child. I told myself if I wasn't pregnant by the time I was 35 then that was our sign to let it be. I'm 34 now and I'm getting used to the idea...
    Wow! You sound just like me, hepcat! I had my son at 30 (lil RCM woman came 21 months later) and made a deal with myself that I'll give myself until 35. How ever many come, so be it! I just turned 35 in January, and have given myself until my next birthday to have one more.

The thought of diapers and those endless loads of laundry seem daunting at times, but I'm game for one more go-around!
    Last edited by realitycrazmom; 02-16-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Regarding your sister-in-law RCM- now that's the type of story that makes you want to go run out and have your tubes tied. WOW!

Ineedalife owns no more baby furniture, clothes or toys-eeekkk
    That's the funny thing. She was on Depo-Provera for about 2 years after her youngest. She quit having cycles for the next 6 years and only recently started having them again. She figured she was starting "The Change".

Still have baby stuff. One bin marked "BOY" and one marked "GIRL". Hopefully, I'll be able to pull out one and use it one more time!

Oh yes, those teeth can hurt. My little guy started getting his teeth at 3 months (he had 10 teeth by 10 months!) so I know all about those ouchies. What's worse, IMO, is when they are nursing and something across the room distracts them so they whip their head around, nipple and all. OUCH!

BTW, I would highly recommend trying LaLeche to anyone who is having trouble nursing or wants support. I had heard all the nazi things, too, but my sister-in-law convinced me to give it a try. I was having a really, really hard time at first and one of the LLL leaders came out to my house, the Saturday before Christmas (when I'm sure she had a ton to do with her 3 kids), to help me for 4 hours! Everyone in my chapter is amazing, the leaders are very educated in breastfeeding, and in fact, they all follow strict guidelines to never speak negatively towards or about anyone who decides to bottlefeed, for whatever reason. My group is strictly about helping nursing moms, not about trying to "recruit" or "convert" other moms. They are completely non-judgmental about anyone's choices. I don't know if its like this everywhere, but I would encourage moms to try it before writing it off. I would have given up nursing after about 2 weeks if it wasn't for them.

That said, to each her own, and I am completely supportive of moms who choose to do whatever. Whatever works for you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by realitycrazmom
    Still have baby stuff. One bin marked "BOY" and one marked "GIRL". Hopefully, I'll be able to pull out one and use it one more time!
    Maybe you'll have to pull out both at the same time.

+ Reply to Thread