+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Veejer, I played flute and then piccolo for years in marching band. It really isn't very different at all, once she gets used to the keys being so little and close together.
    Tell her also, that the piccolo has three benefits: 1, she'll get to play cool melody parts, 2, she can be heard above the rest of the band, and 3, it will fit in her pocket, which is nice when her friends are lugging a tuba around.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    My daughter, a sophomore, came home excited from their first marching band practice last night. She was given one of the school's piccolos to play instead of her flute!!! It is rather different from the flute though so she called her private teacher and said, "I know I'm not scheduled for a lesson this week because you're going out of town, but can you pleeeeeeeeeeease squeeze me in before you leave?" Of course she said yes.
    Cool - I played the flute in HS (we didn't have a marching band, but we did all do "marching practice" together - down a few blocks for ice cream - our band teacher was )
    I was first chair, but also got to play the piccolo, which meant I got to do a lot of extra parts and everyone could hear me. I was such a band I bet she'll love it
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    My son turns 5 today. He is such a handsome little man. I told him I can't believe he's is growing up so fast and pretended to sniffle. He came over, gave me a hug and said, "don't worry Mama, I won't leave you yet."
    Happy Birthday to your little man!
    It must be the age, because my daughter says the same kid of thing to me ("don't worry mommy, I will ALWAYS love you. It's not like I'm going to move out of this house tomorrow")

to Little Applesauce!!!

On another note...
    I'm so happy.

We had the drawing today to see which student has to go to School B and it wasn't my little kindergartener! YAY! He gets to stay at School A.

What I couldn't believe was that I was the only parent to show up for the drawing. I thought at least a couple others would come.
    Last edited by VeeJay; 08-05-2004 at 12:19 PM.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Congratulations VeeJay - I know that's saves you (and your child) a lot of frustration.

My oldest turned 8 this weekend and ofcourse we had her party. I need to know how out of touch I am. There was one little girl there we will call her 'Amy' The party was for 3 hours and I planned a few games (musical chairs, relay race and we made bracelets for a craft. Anyhow my husband overheard Amy at the end of the party saying, "I wouldnt have come if I knew they were going to be playing chilidsh games." :rolleyes Now I have no idea who she said it to, but I will say she was snotty the entire time and this isn't a friendship my husband and I will encourage. She has been to our home for sleep-overs etc and used to call at least once a day. Now I am not complaining she no longer calls but what I am wondering is if the games and craft we did were cheesey and too young for an 8 yr olds birthday party? Friends are very important to my daughter and I dont want to be the reason that they drop her.
    BTW the relay race was running to the end of the yard putting on a pair of my hubby's pants, a bike helmet and a hawaiian lei and then hula hooping.
    Any comments would be great.... thanks in advance

Sounds just fine to me, imajunkie2 (I have a 7 yr old niece and my guy's twin girls are 8). They love making crafts (ie bracelets) and you need things like relay races to burn off the energy - plus it seems like you made the relay race interesting - bet most of the girls had a fun time.

As you know, 8 year olds can be fickle and fussy - but her parents should have taught her better manners than to say anything if she wasn't enjoying herself.

I wouldn't worry about that one child too much. The important thing is that your child and the rest of the kids had fun and it sounds like they did.

Thanks ADK.... I know my daughter can be snotty but from what I have heard she is never snotty at other peoples homes. We have told our daughter that we arent sure if she should hang out with Amy much anymore. She asked why and we simply said she has a bad attitude and we don't want it to rub off on you.

What kind of games did Amy expect to play? You said she's eight right?
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2
    My oldest turned 8 this weekend and ofcourse we had her party. I need to know how out of touch I am. There was one little girl there we will call her 'Amy' The party was for 3 hours and I planned a few games (musical chairs, relay race and we made bracelets for a craft. Anyhow my husband overheard Amy at the end of the party saying, "I wouldnt have come if I knew they were going to be playing chilidsh games." :rolleyes Now I have no idea who she said it to, but I will say she was snotty the entire time and this isn't a friendship my husband and I will encourage. She has been to our home for sleep-overs etc and used to call at least once a day. Now I am not complaining she no longer calls but what I am wondering is if the games and craft we did were cheesey and too young for an 8 yr olds birthday party? Friends are very important to my daughter and I dont want to be the reason that they drop her.
    BTW the relay race was running to the end of the yard putting on a pair of my hubby's pants, a bike helmet and a hawaiian lei and then hula hooping.
    Any comments would be great.... thanks in advance
    You not out of touch at all. That girls is and I agree that you should not encourage that friendship. She is only 8 is already too big for her own britches so to speak. If she can't be a kid at 8, how will she be at 13? Everyone else seemed to have a good time and that is all that matters. By the way, my niece just turned 16 and they played all sorts of silly games and did crafts at her party. I don't think its about age, it about attitude.

+ Reply to Thread