+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Dux didn't say anything about her own ability to hold it, I notice.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

are you frikkin kidding?? If I don't find a bathroom within 5 minutes I'm sunk!

"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    I've never had kids, and I can't hold it.

She doesn't "make" him hold it during school (4 hours of Kindergarden). She said that he always "goes" in the morning -- like clockwork, and then again sometime after dinner -- like clockwork. Maybe it's just a guy thing. I've know several guys who have their little "routines".

Good! I know my guys, mr. applesauce and the little one both have pretty consistent "routines".

You know, I learned long ago that there are many parenting styles. No one style is the correct or best way. As long as decisions are made out of love and the best interest of the little one, that's what matters. It will work out in the long run. I am sure that people question some of the things I do...I know I question myself sometimes . You sound like a great friend and babysitter Jewelsy.

Now I'm really worked up. Let me start from the beginning.

I live in the country close to 3 tiny little towns (I think one is even only considered a village). These towns are so small that they merge into 2 different schools (until middle and high school where everyone goes to the same one). School A is the one I've registered my son to and the one I really prefer him to go to because I know most of the people there and I've already filled out and turned in the parent volunteer forms. Also because I plan on driving him every day and it's much closer in case of bad weather (we very seldom have school closings during bad weather).

Any way, last month I got a letter from School A saying that my son may have to go to School B because there are less children registered there and under some contract agreement the schools must have equal enrollment. They were asking for someone to volunteer to go to School B. I got a call from them this morning asking me what I wanted to do. I told them I wanted him to remain registered to School A so there's going to be a drawing Thursday to determine who goes.

Not only am I mad because he may have to go to School B but I've also already bought his supplies for School A and the list for School B is a lot different. For example, at School A a beach towel is required. So being the good mother that I am, I bought a really expensive Spiderman towel that has it's own pouch to fold the towel back into. But School B requires them to have a mat.

We've also already met with his School A teacher and he spent a day there getting acquainted with the classroom and school.

He was getting really stoked about his new school and now I may have to introduce him to another.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

ugh VeeJay - like things weren't difficult enough already! Good luck on your 'lottery'
    I'd find out if ALL of the children are entered in the lottery or just a select few? Find out where your school taxes are diverted to also (youare able to in Ontario but I'm not sure about the US)

Tell me about it!

The only kids that are thrown into the mix are the ones living in a certain geographical location in between the two schools. And the ones that already have a sibling in school can go to the same school as their brother/sister and don't have to be in the drawing.

Edited: The two schools are considered the same district so the tax funds are divided equally.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

I hear ya, Veej, the school boards here call them *cachements*. We live in a new development. There are 2 school divisions here, one public and one Catholic. (It's our choice as to which our taxes can be diverted to.) My preference was that my kid went to the Catholic school in our area, but when I called the Catholic school division, they told me that they wouldn't provide bus service (which she may or may not need, but since I'm currently looking for a new job, I can't take the chance of going without it). They will, however, provide bus service to the Catholic school in a neighbouring area - yup, 'cause THAT school is under-enrolled, so they've conveniently made OUR new development part of the under-enrolled school's *cachement*.

So I have enrolled my daughter in the public school. It's not the end of the world but I feel backed into a corner. Plus as far as I'm concerned, the Catholic division has basically told me they don't need my tax dollars. Well, :phhht to them.

Veej, if you are one of the unlucky ones in your lottery, I would make a huge stinking fuss...the squeaky wheel, you know.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    There are 2 school divisions here, one public and one Catholic. (It's our choice as to which our taxes can be diverted to.)
    Yet another tally mark for jealousy over the Canadian way of life. I would love it if we could choose where to divert our tax dollars for education here in the US. Our public school system is funded by property taxes (both private homes and businesses) and we have no options for private school unless you want to fork over the extra money in its entirety yourself (and you don't get any breaks on your taxes if you opt of the public system).
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Not exactly, ineeda, the Catholic division doesn't include private schools. The province we live in has always had the option for a Catholic faith-based education, which I was told was simply due to the large number of Catholics that helped settle this province.

The Catholic schools here don't have uniforms or any other amenities of private schools. We just have the option of choosing secular or non-secular (but Catholic admittedly is the ONLY religious option) education. If you want to send your child to a private school based on a different faith, you pay tuition.

you pay tuition but you also get a tax break - here in Sudbury anyway.

Ajane after my own experiences in Catholic school I'm sending my daughter and my tax dollars to the closest public school.

Funny thing about Ontario you can divert your taxes to 1 of 4 school boards! Catholic, French Catholic, Public, French Public. The bussing sucks cheese and they don't stop door to door anymore the kids have to walk to one central stop and they make the jk's go to school for full days a few times a week instead of every morning or afternoon - to save on bussing.
    mini rant.. what the hell are our taxes paying for? Our teachers are underpaid, our schools and playgrounds are in disrepair, we have to buy all of the school supplies - they can't even afford to supply kleenex?? Are they going to ask us to send toilet paper next? The gov't needs to increase funding to education before we end up with idiots in office ... oh .. wait a minute.. :rolleyes /end rant

+ Reply to Thread