+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay
    Eight boxes of crayons?
    That caught my eye, too! That seems a little excessive.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I have a question for all you moms...

"Typically", does a six year old boy know how to dress himself? I mean, maybe he won't match, but should be be able to select underpants, socks, shirt and pants by himself -- and put them on by himself? What about tying his own shoes?

Should he be able to wipe his own bottom by now? Brush his teeth?

Just curious.

ETA: Just so you know, he's a smart, normal little boy. Nothing physically or mentally wrong with him.

FORT Fogey
    Typically, a six year old would be able to dress himself, but tying his shoes isn't necessarily something they learn by that time (it all depends... I had velcro shoes for the longest time, so I couldn't be bothered learning to tie shoes when I was a kid)

He should be able to wipe his bottom (Usually at the daycare that's the next thing they learn after potty-training, so there's very few 3 year-olds that need to have their bottoms wiped) Also toothbrushing is something we let the kids do once they turn 3, but I'm not sure how good a job they do of it... we don't really have a lot of time to watch every kid and make sure each tooth gets brushed properly, but I don't worry, since I figure they'll brush well at home with parents supervision...

Of course, at a daycare we try to get the children to become as independent as they can, so we try and get them to do things for themselves at an early age.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy

"Typically", does a six year old boy know how to dress himself? I mean, maybe he won't match, but should be be able to select underpants, socks, shirt and pants by himself -- and put them on by himself? What about tying his own shoes?

Just curious.

ETA: Just so you know, he's a smart, normal little boy. Nothing physically or mentally wrong with him.
    Jewelsy, you know that the only experience that I have with children is with my own daughter, so my knowledge is a bit limited here. All I know is that my two-year-old can brush her teeth, pick out her clothes (although non-matching ), and put some of her clothes on by herself (pants, some dresses, socks). So, yeah. I think that its time he learns to do a couple of those things.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Jewels, my four-year-old can do everything on that list except tie her shoes. She comes up with some cute outfits sometimes. Other times it's plaid shorts and horizontal stripes.

You didn't say, but is this a nephew? (I'll butt out if you don't want to share. )
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Just curious.

Typically, yes. Want to, no. Mine would rather have worn the same things until they could walk by themselves.

But when told, "go throw your dirty clothes in the hamper and put on clean clothes", he could.

In shoe tying, mine was lazy so we used velcro like df2, but most are learning around then.

Bottom wiping, yes. Teeth, yes, but once a day with supervision. His idea of brushing and mine (and the dentist) were different.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Nope --it's not my nephew. But he's somone very close to me.

Actually, I don't think it's *him*, but his mom. She said that the pediatricition told her that they shouldn't brush their own teeth or wipe their bottoms until they were 8 because they don't do a good enough job. He's starting first grade in a couple of months, and I asked her what happens if he has to "go", and she said he just waits until he gets home.

The whole clothes thing, I don't get. I mean, he's spent the night with me before, and I when I gave him his clothes, and he dressed himself. AND brushed his own teeth. But I did have to wipe him.

Nope --it's not my nephew. But he's somone very close to me.

Actually, I don't think it's *him*, but his mom. She said that the pediatricition told her that they shouldn't brush their own teeth or wipe their bottoms until they were 8 because they don't do a good enough job. He's starting first grade in a couple of months, and I asked her what happens if he has to "go", and she said he just waits until he gets home.

The whole clothes thing, I don't get. I mean, he's spent the night with me before, and I when I gave him his clothes, and he dressed himself. AND brushed his own teeth. But I did have to wipe him.
    Any boy, whose mom is wiping his bottom at 7, is liable to have an oedipus complex. My son's need for privacy kicked in about 5.

How's he going to learn at 8, when he hasn't been trying from about 3 on!!!!!

Is he an "only"? Hens with only one chick hover too much.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Every kid is different, and for the most part, girls are quicker at a lot of this stuff than the boys -- honestly -- not meant as a swipe at boys! I think a lot of this depends on the child. Some are born independent and want to do everything for themselves, whether they do it right, or not. Others, have no interest and as long as mom, or someone else, does it for them, they're fine with it. But I don't know too many kids who at the age of 5 or so, want someone else wiping their bottoms. That seems very radical to me.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

He's a smart kid, and I *know* he could wipe his own bottom, but *Mom* doesn't want him too. . He's not an only child -- he has a little brother that's two.

Please don't thing she's "weird" or anything, because she's not. but she's going by what her pediatrician says.

+ Reply to Thread