+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    One item on the list I have never encountered: "school box". Is this just any box, or something special (can I actually find something at Walmart named "school box")? What is its purpose? To hold pens, to hold miscellanous items, or snack...?
    The purpose is to hold all of those little things that will get lost in a desk, scissors, pencils, crayons (after the box breaks), glue, ...

Some teachers are specific on the size they want because of the size of the desk.

There are cardboard ones and plastic ones specifically called school boxes, but the hinges usually crack and break. Instead I bought a small rubbermaid type container the same size. It was much more durable and lasted for several years.

About the crayon and marker boxes breaking. I usually tape them up brand new and then they last the year.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

My son got his 7th grade schedule today in the mail and he is excited. Our junior high (6-7-8) divides each grade into three teams. The teams consist of the four core teachers, English, History, Math, and Science. He is on the same team that his older sister was on in 7th grade and only the English teacher has changed in the past three years. He said, "It looks good on your resume to have a well behaved older sister who gets good grades, and MAYBE they'll be able to pronounce my name right." Our last name is rather unusual and teachers invariably stumble over it. He is also pleased that he placed into pre-Algebra instead of regular 7th grade math.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I came to commiserate with veejay and ajane, Meredith starts school in a month .
    We've been to the school for a tour, she's had a ride on the school bus but she has yet to meet her teacher. The teacher she met is going on mat leave in Sept and they hadn't found a replacement yet in May. I'm told that the JK's have staggered enrollment so only a few will start school at the same time - imagine how intimidating that will be for the last batch of kids? All 20 at once.
    One good thing - we met some of the other parents and kids so it won't be quite so bad as Mere has already made a little friend. I can tell she's nervously excited though - all she talks about is me or my husband being there to meet the bus when she comes home. Anxiety sucks.
    Last edited by Duxxy; 07-31-2004 at 03:21 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I was a stay-at-home mom until my daughter turned 2. I finally needed to go back to work, and I found this wonderful little daycare facility. They let me hide out in an office that had a little window where parents could obvserve unseen. She didn't even care that I left the room, and was comfortable right from the start. That school went up to 6th grade, and we kept her there through kindergarten. Then in 1st grade transfered her to public school. Her private school was very small, and although my husband and I really wanted her to adjust to "real life" in public school, I was a wreck. I didn't sleep for days on end, thinking about my poor child leaving all her friends and the sanctity of this small private school....I felt as if I was throwing her to the wolves! The day came, she walked into this horrendously frightening void known as public school, and she loved everything about it. I realized then, that most children deal with changes much better than we parents! Now, she's going to be a senior in high school, and my husband and I are worrying about her leaving home next year for college....I tell you, as parents, we've always got something to worry about. But the kids do just fine, of course, unless they total your car!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Veejer, thanks for the advice. We went shopping for supplies today, and I have all crayon boxes taped now. I never thought about that before and usually the boxes have been ripped to pieces in no time.

Some fun in the store when the younger one started singing "I love my Pussy, I love my Puuus-sy..." Now, he was talking about Puss-in-Boots bubble bath he got to choose, but I don't know what the people were thinking Its one of those things that I refuse to explain to him that is not a proper word to use because it really was the proper word to use. (I have tried to stress before that it is Puss-in-Boots, but if the kids call the characters by nicknames, there is nothing wrong with that really.) Besides I do not feel like answering the follow up question "Why...?" I am not a fan of words being altered to bad/negative meanings, and how even job titles have been changed to something obscure because the original word has become "bad" or "not good enough."
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Aaaaah Dux! Welcome to the club! I only have 17 days left of my baby.

We got all of our supplies today with the exception of a backpack. We're going next week clothes shopping and are going to find a really cool one then.

That is good advice about taping the boxes Veejer. I also bought some Sharpie markers to write his name on everything.

That's a wonderful poem Scarlett. Thanks for posting it!
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

FORT Fogey
    Thanks VeeJay--I loved it! I know I don't qualify for the Kindergarten Club, but my son starts middle school in 9 days. I swear this one is so much tougher for me to take!

You might be right Scarlett. Your son'll probably start thinking about girls pretty soon and you'll have to share him with another woman. That's gonna be much worse.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

I can certainly empathize with those of you whose oldest is about to enter Kindergarten. When my oldest started I wasn't able to be the one to take her etc because we were in the middle of moving cities 6 hrs apart and I had to stay back to deal with the other things. I did however call her the morning before and as soon as she was done

This year she starts grade 3 and well yes I am now the mother skipping in the aisles buying school supplies. Her list is quite extensive as you all have been discussing but my biggest problem is the simple fact she needs a calculator. A calculator??? OMG She has problems in math already and I am very worried she will find use it as a crutch and never actually learn how to do math.

With the amount of cutbacks I do understand the growing school supply list. In grade 1 I received a note from the teacher in April that homework will no longer be sent home as the teacher had used up all her paper.

Things that stand out in my mind of past lists:
    8 boxes of Crayola (24pk) crayons (gr 1)
    4 bottles no drip blue glue (specific brands excluded) (gr 2)
    4 lg glue sticks (gr 2)
    10 large ziploc bags

And I guess the paper issue is going to show up again this year, I have to buy..... 1 pkg of blank paper, 9 - 8 1/2 x 11 notebooks, 2 interlined scribblers, and 2 half blank half lined scribblers.

I personally do not send everything the first day as requested by the teachers, I usually send a few of everything. I figure I have it if she needs it and I will send it then. And if she doesnt need it (she has never used it all up) then I have it at home to be used for home crafts etc.

BTW my middle one it starting Kindergarten Sept 3 and I am
    The only things she needs are a box of kleenex and a backpack, I pay $40 and they supply snack every day. I can handle that

Eight boxes of crayons?

+ Reply to Thread