+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Thanks, Jewelsy -- I didn't think you were ignoring me. I've enjoyed seeing your posts in other threads -- nice to chat with you. I'll share the cabana boy, too!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Oh my gosh! I think I'm having a panic attack.

I just got a letter from my son's school that he's to start kindergarten on August 17th. That's 18 days away!!! I was expecting him to start about a week later than that. My heart's beating so fast and hard I think it's gonna thump right out of my chest. The full force of the reality of it has just smacked me in the face. How am I supposed to trust complete strangers to take care of my baby? I've never even left him with a sitter other than his grandma.

He on the other hand is ecstatic. He can't wait to be around other kids.

This is going to be far worse on me than him.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Our hamster died late in the fall, so we planted daffodil and crocus bulbs over his "coffin". It is between two flame bushes at the back of the yard.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay

I just got a letter from my son's school that he's to start kindergarten on August 17th. That's 18 days away!!! I was expecting him to start about a week later than that. My heart's beating so fast and hard I think it's gonna thump right out of my chest. The full force of the reality of it has just smacked me in the face. How am I supposed to trust complete strangers to take care of my baby? I've never even left him with a sitter other than his grandma.

When my daughter was born, I chose to be a stay at home mom. She however thought it would be great fun to go to day care.

You'll both live through it VeeJay. Is he your oldest?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    When my daughter was born, I chose to be a stay at home mom. She however thought it would be great fun to go to day care.

You'll both live through it VeeJay. Is he your oldest?
    He's my one and only. I'm a stay at homie so there was never any need for him to have someone else care for him very often. I think I'm gonna suffer from some severe separation anxiety. I do however plan on volunteering at his school so that won't be so bad. I've already filled out the forms. But at first I want him to go it alone for a while to get used to it without Mom around.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Thanks, Jewelsy -- I didn't think you were ignoring me. I've enjoyed seeing your posts in other threads -- nice to chat with you. I'll share the cabana boy, too!
    You'll share -- Woo-Hoo.

Some of the other moms in here are pretty stingy with Mr. Cabana.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay

Easy there, Veej. My oldest girl is starting in September. We have to get this kindergarten support group started, I see

Mine is thrilled to be starting as well. Mind you, she's done time in daycare (almost 2 years) and preschool this past year, so she knows what she's in for. Plus she's familiar with the school since she took some gymnastics classes there, and we visited the kindergarten room she'll be in and the library. So if you and your guy haven't taken a tour thru the school yet, make sure you do (even if it's more for you than him ).

He will be juuuuust fine, although you will probably need a couple of weeks to adjust. Now, did you get a supply list yet? I'm horror-stricken over my daughter's - check this out: runners (for INSIDE school only), paint t-shirt, 1 bottle of glue, 4 glue sticks, a box of Kleenex :rolleyes, 1 box 24 crayons, 1 box 8 markers, 1 box 24 pencil crayons, 2 erasers, scissors, scrap book, back pack, and of course, a class fee of $25. She doesn't even go every day! Plus, they have specified what BRANDS of crayons, etc., if you please. Veej, we have entered the seventh circle of parenting hell, known as the school years.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

YES! A kindergarten support group is definitely in order AJ! He's already had a visitation day. I've already paid his "book fee" of $20.00 (cheaper than yours). His list came with the letter I got today.

He has to have
    1 pocket folder
    1 school or cigar box
    2 primary-size pencils
    1 box Kleenex
    2 glue sticks
    1 bottle of Elmer's glue
    1 box classic colors Crayola magic markers
    1 book satchel
    1 beach towel
    1 set earphones with mini jacks (WTH for? )

Seventh circle of parenting hell indeed.

WTF? How come you only have to buy markers and our school requires 3 different kind of frickin' coloured writing instruments? No fair!

Gee, do you think he'll make it through the year with only 2 glue sticks? :rolleyes

I'm bitter about my kid's supply list, in case you haven't noticed.

That earphones thing is WEIRD, though. I remember using headphones in school for French language lab, but that wasn't until junior high? Bizarre.

Well, at least I have my youngest girl and you have your puppy to keep you busy during our adjustment period
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ah, you poor 1st time parents of kindergarteners! It only gets worse next year when they leave for the entire day. That was horrible...for about two weeks, and then it was gra-a-a-and. I've finally gotten to that parental milestone when I look forward to the end of summer so that I can get some freakin' work done around this place. I only worry about my two-year-old, who will be so bored without his brothers that he will be more destructive than ever. Playgroup. Must find playgroup.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

+ Reply to Thread