+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Non-snow climates

My personal record was working outside and it was -58 farenheit. My hands started hurting from the cold in 2 minutes standing outside. Luckily there was no wind that day. With windchill, I worked outside in -104 farenheit. ambient temperature was -45. Unfortunately I got to work outside more than Joeguy did.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

PKeeper
    The worst snowfall I can recall in Minneapolis was the Halloween storm of 1991. In about 24 hours we got 30 inches of snow. What made it worse was the fact that on October 31st the ground was fairly warm yet so the snow would hit and melt. Unfortunately it was comming down so fast the melting could not keep pace witht the accumulation. The results was deep, heavy snow sitting on top of rough, clunky ice.

Minneapolis has an excellent snow removal system, however, this proved way too much for the snow plows. Numerous reports of snow plow blades breaking peppered the news. Three days later the FREEWAYS were like washboards and it still took 3 hours to drive what normally took 30 minutes.

Here in west Michigan, we say that the people have to "grow their snow brain"...which takes a couple of weeks with snow and ice on the ground. Before they re-learn how to drive in it, they've just got "no brain".

Driving defensively is the name of the game. I've seen many people pull stupid stunts either right next to, right in front of, or right behind me, and end up in the ditch. Oh, and even if you've got a $500 winter-beater, you better have decent tires on it.

This morning when I woke up, it was -1 here, with a wind chill of around -15. I stepped outside to put the dog out, and started coughing from the cold. I went to hook her up on her chain, and the hook thing was frozen, so (the normal thing) I started breathing on it to thaw it out. After 2 minutes of that, I looked at the hook, and it was just frosted over pretty good

Now THAT'S cold, but of course Ilikai, Joeguy, and Ducky all have me beat.

We don't have any snow forecast for the next few days which I'm very happy about.
    It's -16c here today though -26c with the windchill so there is no hope that what we do have will thaw at all.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Originally posted by tvjunkie
    Since i work in a grocery store i can tell you that we really dread when they call for snow.Iam just glad that i have tomorrow off so i don't have to put up with all the crazies stocking up.

I once saw a ladie buying 5 loaves of bread,6 gallons of milk and 40 frozen pizzas.I have no idea what she was going to do with the pizzas if the power failed.

Apologies going out now.... I'm hitting the grocery store this afternoon in anticipation of our first real snow this season ... hear your getting some in NC right now! Of course I won't be buying 40 frozen pizza's

Bravo... sounds like a good one... I hope you're ready
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Okay! I'm FINALLY In the Christmas spirit.

After 2.5 days of non-stop Christmas music on the radio at work.. they have Finally, FINALLY played.

Feliz Navidad.

I'm happy.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Oh lord! I'm not ready for the drivers around here

I remember we actually DID have a blizzard in 1996 and there were several feet of snow, work was closed the entire week, and it took 2 days of shoveling to get my car out.

People were walking to the grocery stores with sleds - it was great! But even then, in the "storm of the century" as they called it, the grocery stores were only closed for 1 day! So I have no idea why whenever we have the threat of snow I see these wackos in line with 5 gallons of milk, several loaves of bread, and 2 24-packs of Toilet paper. I mean, come on...how much milk can one drink? It's not like we're going to be housebound for months
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Originally posted by Miss Filangi
    Okay! I'm FINALLY In the Christmas spirit.

After 2.5 days of non-stop Christmas music on the radio at work.. they have Finally, FINALLY played.

Feliz Navidad.

I'm happy.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Is it humanly possible to listen to that song without doing a little shoulder dance?

My answer is an emphatic NO!!!!!
    "That's Numberwang!"

just a little something to show how freaked we are about snow in this area... I had a meeting this evening with the school board about this 10 day program my son was accepted into (He has disabilities, and the program will help him figure out what he wants to do... what adaptations a car might need etc...)

ANYWAY :rolleyes..... They cancelled the meeting because of the impending snow storm... the one that isn't supposed to start until after midnight
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by tvjunkie
    I once saw a ladie buying 5 loaves of bread,6 gallons of milk and 40 frozen pizzas.I have no idea what she was going to do with the pizzas if the power failed.
    I imagine she would just open up the back door and stash them in the snow 'till the power came back. Maybe she shops like that all the time and has 17 children. Hehe! Ok, you are right. Crazy, crazy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast