+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching a Child to Avoid Abduction

Teaching a Child to Avoid Abduction

I was truly distressed when I saw the Florida child being calmly led away by her eventual killer. I thought I would look around and compile some 'tips' that experts say can prevent kidnapping. Children as young as 3 can be taught some of these things. I listed the source links at the bottom if you want to click on them for the complete articles. If anyone else knows of a good article or site to prevent child abduction, please provide the links

No matter what the abductor threatens, he is rarely interesting in hurting the child at the time of kidnapping. That comes later when he has isolated the child. Time works against the abductor. The longer the child can prolong the scene, the more likely the abductor will leave them alone.

Prevent being taken
    -Teach that an adult NEVER needs a child’s help. Go over scenarios where an adult might ask a child for help finding a puppy, another child, getting directions, etc. Teach child to say, “Let me find an adult to help you.”

-Run in the Opposite Direction of the kidnapper. If you can run, always run.

- If you are grabbed from behind by the jacket or backpack, wiggle out of the article and run.

- If you are being taken from a store, grab merchandise and throw it on the floor. Make noise. Create a commotion.

-Throw yourself on the ground. Kick, scream. Be specific. “He’s kidnapping me!”

- Velcro technique: Children cannot only yell out for help, they can grab hold of an adult for help. It causes the adult to become involved in their situration.

- Windmill technique. If somebody is bigger and stronger than the child, the child rotates his or her arm forward in a big circle, preventing the would-be attacker from grabbing hold..

-Wrap their body around anything. Their bicycle, a light post, a parking meter.

Once in a Kidnappers Car

-Shove something in the ignition cylinder (where the key goes in). Gum, a stick, a pencil. Anything to keep the key from going in the ignition

-Open the door and get out (children often overlook the obvious solution)

-For Four Door cars, jump in the backseat and go out the back door

In the trunk-
    - If you are being forced into a trunk, open your legs wide, while screaming, to make it as hard as possible for the abductor and to buy some time for help.

-Pull open the panel at the rear of the car and disconnect the taillights. (this increases the odds by 50% that the car will be pulled over by police)

-Do as much damage to the wiring as possible

-Make noise whenever the car stops

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/07/17/child.safety/

http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/melendez020504.html

Lets all try to keep our children safe BTW- These tips work for adults as well.
    Last edited by Stargazer; 02-09-2004 at 10:04 AM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thanks for posting that SG.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

It's interesting that you posted this today, because my start page has something very similar as their site-of-the-day.

Here's the site they link to.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Good subject SG. I drill my kids time to time and it is a very difficult task to give them all the knowledge they need at a young age. You've compiled some good tips.

I don't have a link, but two very important things to add:

1) have an up-to-date ID kit on your child that includes a current picture, height, weight, fingerprints etc
    2) there is a company (somebody can maybe add the link?) that there is actually an ID kit you can hide inside of your child's shoe. If they are ever abducted, you can tell your child to kick off their shoe and it contains their name, phone #, etc. and to call for help if they find the shoe. It may not help find your child, but it is a good start in seeing where they have been quicker.

This whole issue sends chills up my spine. I hate to think of any child coming in harm's way at the hands of a predator.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Oh, forgot to add...

develop a code word so that "if" your child is ever approached by someone claiming to have come for them, that their parents are in trouble etc., they can ask the code word as a signal.

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Thanks for the topic, SG. I'm getting chills reading it. I had a very comprehensive self-defense class once (it was a 6 credit, 2 semester college course with exams and all, I kid you not). A few basic things we were told, that could apply to children or adults:

1. Do anything to avoid being taken to another destination, just as SG said. Your chances of survival decrease enormously if you are taken to a second, third or fourth destination.

2. Yelling "FIRE" instead of "help" or "rape" generally will get a quicker response from standers-by. People are afraid and hesitant to get involved in personal attacks sometimes (although I would hope this wouldn't apply to child abductions!), but they seem to always get involved if there is a threat of fire.

3. This one I heard from security officials on a behind the scenes tour at Disney World. Abductors will often be prepared with a change of clothes, wig, hat, etc, to disguise the child. But rarely do they have a change of shoes available because they are much harder to fit and get on. Therefore, it was recommend to make it very well known to police what shoes your child was wearing. At Disney they had stopped several attempted abductions by alerting personnel at the gates to look for specific shoes on the missing children.
    I support the right to arm bears.

Thanks for a good post, Stargazer.

We parents of young children need to remember - very young children do NOT have the cognitive ability to discern when they are in a truly dangerous situation. You can remind them constantly, teach them in a classroom setting, and reinforce correct behaviour, but they cannot be relied upon to act accordingly. I saw a test on TV with 3-5 year olds that illustrated this, and it scared the hell out of me. Bottom line, small kids need to be supervised constantly. If an 11-year-old can be led away, what chance does a kindergarten-age kid have?

I've seen 1st-grade age kids playing alone in the playground. I've seen parents leave kids in the toy aisle at the store so they can go shop in a different department. There are people that still don't get it.

In the same vein, people still leave kids unattended in cars. I saw a kid left alone, asleep in a carseat in a vehicle for over 20 minutes a couple of years ago, while the parent was in a store. I asked the store clerk to call the car's plate number over the PA (after I told him the situation) and he wouldn't do it. I was so pissed off I called the cops. It is ILLEGAL to leave your child in your vehicle, not to mention stupid and dangerous. We all know what can happen when parents do this.

I have little kids and I know shopping and such can be a major pain when you have to drag them along. Too bad. Bring a stroller or hire a sitter.

OK, off rant. This subject gets to me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

me too, I can't even comment or my 'spew' would go on for pages
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    In the same vein, people still leave kids unattended in cars. I saw a kid left alone, asleep in a carseat in a vehicle for over 20 minutes a couple of years ago, while the parent was in a store. I asked the store clerk to call the car's plate number over the PA (after I told him the situation) and he wouldn't do it. I was so pissed off I called the cops. It is ILLEGAL to leave your child in your vehicle, not to mention stupid and dangerous. We all know what can happen when parents do this.
    Ooooo-this is a hot button for me too (I've posted on this subject in another thread-"things that irk you"). Total threadjack here- I work in an environment where I see this "TOO MUCH". Some of these people's attitudes are so "I wasn't doing anything wrong, they're fine". It IS illegal, however in my state, it is only a Class C misdemeanor (slap on the wrist). It's a roll of the dice with police response too-some officers give them a warning, some take it all the way to a report to CPS (which is considered a matter of neglectful supervision BTW). It's really sad and unfortunate to say the least.

Don't leave your children in the car ever! Besides the safety factor with your children-the temperatures inside the car can soar within a few minutes even on a balmy day or with windows cracked open.

Sorry-Now back to the safety of our children.

Great topic SG.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast