+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching a Child to Avoid Abduction

FORT Fogey
    Thanks for posting this SG. I just went to a self defense class and they taught us some stuff. First off, when you hit someone, make as much noise as possible (like Aiyaa!) because it throws them off. Also, if one attack fails just keep trying new things, like hit, stratch, elbow in face, knee in groin, foot in groin. Another thing was to hit their nose with the heel of your hand. I hate to hear about these things and hope we can put a stop to it someday.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    One other point that is being made is to also take a real close look at what your children are wearing everyday. Sometimes I have been distracted or half asleep in the morning and not even noticed which jeans my son was wearing. Were they the dark ones or the light ones? What sweatshirt was he wearing. I find it hard to remember because a lot of his sweatshirts are of one certain colour, and a lot of his T shirts are the same colour as well. I must take closer note of WHICH and WHAT are on the fronts of his shirts. These tiny details make it easier for the authorities to broadcast known details. Thanks stargazer for the thread. It is just so sad in these days and times this subject has to be on the minds of parents all the time, along with worry and fear.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar

Great subject

Some things that parents can do that are often overlooked are:

Don't let your child wear any clothing, backpacks, etc with their first name displayed. Abductors can gain the trust of a child simply because they know the name.

Keep toys out of your front yard. A house with a plastic litte tricycle, etc is announcing that there is a child living there.

It can't be stressed enough that an adult NEVER needs a child's help. When I was a kid (in the 50's/60's) we all knew "don't take candy from strangers"....it was ingrained in every kids head.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

As harsh as it may seem, I've made sure to locate the video of Carlie's abduction on the web, and have just sat down with the Brooding Bumpkin to watch it together and discuss how quickly it happened, how easily it could happen - even here in this small town - and things she might do to get away if she is in that situation.

The Brooder and I have play-wrestled for years now - and while we were playing, along the way I tried to teach her some simple self-defense techniques. By now, she knows instinctively how weak the thumb is if someone grips your wrist (as Joseph Smith did in abducting Carlie), and if I grab her in that fashion, she can break away quickly.

Stargazer, I just sat here and read through the list you posted with her and discussed each point, even though the first time I read it I thought she 'probably' already knew all those things.

And another important point which hasn't been raised yet in this discussion: My cell phone company charges me $9.95 a month to add a line on our family plan. I thought 14-15 was way too young for a cell phone, but I got one for her primarily for security reasons. She is very moderate with her usage of it, and she always has a means to call me if she needs me, where ever she is.

If she walks two blocks to her friends house, or if she takes our dog for a walk down the street, I make sure she has her phone with her. And tonight we again discussed how she should program her phone to keep her keypad tones silent -- so she could dial 911 in her pocket without attracting attention - and leave the line open so dispatchers would be tipped off that she was in trouble.

I also explained the technology involved with modern cellphones - that even if she cannot dial 911, she can be located just by having the phone in her pocket. That if she is abducted, to try to conceal her phone as much as possible, because as soon as we know she has been taken, we will be trying to trace her cell phone signal.

Later, I will sit down with my 7 year old son and play the video again. I'll go through each of these items with him and talk about how to get away if someone tries to kidnap him. And my heart will be sad.

I remember a time when I left home early in the morning and came back in the afternoon after roaming the neighborhood with my friends. I'll remember being barefoot for an entire summer. I'll remember picking muscadines and teasing a bull in the field we had to cross to get to them.

And I'll get over my danged nostalgia and realize we live in a different world than the one I grew up in.

And I'll be certain my children know what to do if someone tries to take them. If absolutely nothing else comes from Carlie's death, perhaps it will be an awareness that prevents a similar tragedy - one that will hopefully never be newsworthy.

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    What a touching, eloquent post, Bumpkin. I often get sad thinking about what short reins we have to keep our children on today, and reminisce about playing around the entire neighborhood all afternoon and into dark when I was a kid. But you're right. Gotta get over it.

Thanks for the info on the cell phone signal. I did not know that. That is great technology.
    I support the right to arm bears.

Chompstick, I felt like a posting that, but it's all true.

As for the cellphone technology, I saw a bit on a news show a few weeks ago - there is a service on the web you can use to track your kids via their cell phone. It's a fairly inexpensive monthly fee - but you can log on and 'see' where your teenager is within a few feet.

And if they say, "I'm at the mall" they'd better dang well be telling the truth I googled to find a link, but didn't come up with anything right away. I'll keep looking.

FORT Fogey
    Star, this was a great thread idea. I try to teach my kids things like this, too. I remember on one of those shows about this, they suggested if someone grabs the child, the child should scream "This person is not my Mommy/Daddy," because most people who see a screaming child carted off assume it is just a tantrum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12