+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Proactive skin care?

Does anyone know what I should do about a rash that may have been caused by acne medication? I had a couple zits over the weekend and I used a zit cream called Panoxyl and the next day I had an itchy, peeling rash on my face. It's gotten less itchy, but it's now 5 days later and the redness hasn't completely gone away. Should I be worried or give it more time? I've just been washing it with water and applying moisturizer to stop the peeling. I'd say it's about 50% better right now but I want it all gone!!
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

Ouch - Terena, I hope that has cleared up by now.

I found another ProActiv knockoff called "Klear Action" (geez, I hate those misspellings in brand names). I haven't started using it yet, but I got it at Ulta. You can get it online also, if anyone is interested Ulta web site
    Last edited by oneTVslave; 03-21-2004 at 01:43 PM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by EvaLaruefan View Post
    I know we had a thread about this a while back, but I went to page 5 and couldn't find it.

Has anyone here ever used Pro-Activ or knows someone who has? Did it work? Any thoughts?

I just ordered it off the net. I have had bad acne for 3 months now (I think I'm allergic to foundation all of a sudden) and I got desperate and decided to order it.
    I'll respond in this thread since yours will probably be merged into this one

I've used it for 7 years and would never go without it. If I slack off on using for even a few days, I notice the difference. I've had skin problems since I was a teenager and tried some prescription treatments that worked okay but then I kept having to make doctor's appointments and pay lots of money for the medicine. One medication had to be refrigerated. Pro-Activ has worked well for me for years. I'll never give it up. I know a few people who tried it and it didn't work for them. I know many more who are like me and love it. No product is going to work for everyone. There's a money back guarantee, so you've got nothing to lose!

Someone mentioned that it stains towels - that's because the cleanser contains benzoil (sp) peroxide like most acne treatments do! That shouldn't keep you from trying it out. I just make sure I dry my face on a light colored towel and wash my hands well after I use it.

As for your problem with foundation, have you tried Bare Escentuals? I know a number of Forters (including me!) who feel it makes their skin look better and who have fewer break outs.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

For the girls... Keep this in mind...

I spent untold thousands of dollars between the doctor and the cr*p I had to buy "to clear my face up" that never worked. (Retin-A anyone?)

Then the funniest thing happen. I started taking birth control pills (to be baby proof) and two weeks later my face was completely cleared up. I can not tell you how stunned I was that it was my hormones that had caused me all the skin issue's.

So besides making me baby proof... that magical little pill will clear up a bad complexion.

The bad part is most male's have the same issue... its strictly your flippin hormones that has your face completely broke out. But there the medication that is made for boys only... which works extremely well... but can have terrible side effects. (I think its spelled Acutane)

Now the person who used the product on a zit and it made it area all red... and flakey... that is normal.

What happens is it dries up the zit... and then your top layer of skin will peel off. I have many years experience's with Retin-A, a tropical gel for acne... and that was the typical process of it working. Kill the zit breakout and then peel like crazy. And have fresh new pink spot on face where it all took place.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    I bought this about two months ago because my medicine was making me break out really bad. And at the age of 30, the last thing you want is acne. I've found it to work really well. I don't use it faithfully. I do use it once a day, but not the recommended twice. I really need to start doing that. The only problem I have with it is that it makes my face really dry.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I didn't use ProActiv after a girlfriend tried it and she broke out in a terrible rash.

As for birth control pills- it depends on the actual pill that you use, my b/c pill actually changed my hormones completely and caused adult acne so bad on my back that I was put on Accutane to clear it up. It's not just for men, but they don't really recommend it for women due to the fact that it will cause severe birth defects if you get pregnant while taking it. It takes over four months for the course of the treatment, but once done, it worked like a dream - no more acne, other than the once a month pimple I get during my period.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan View Post
    I was just thinking when reading about ProAcne what a hilarious name. Basically the name ProAcne is suggesting that it will surely make your skin to suffer from acne, not heal it. I am glad they have come to a decision to change the name

Sounds like a good product otherwise
    That must be the secret. It doesn't get rid of your zits...it makes your face one big zit!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay View Post
    I found this information here. It's at the bottom of the page.

Does anyone know if Wal-Mart has put this back on the shelves? I'm just reading this thread and came across the cheaper version of proactive.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Thanks so much everyone for your insight. I can't wait to try it and really hoping it works. I'll let you know.

I've had mixed results with Proactiv. It works well on my skin for awhile but then I begin to develop horrible rashes or have dried out skin from it and have to stop using it for several weeks.

Good luck with it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast