+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips for visiting NY?

Tips for visiting NY?

A friend just offered me a free airline ticket and hotel room if I'll go with her to New York for a couple of days next month! I've never been and want to know if anyone has tips about what not to miss, how to get cheap(er) show tickets (I really want to see "Wicked" but they're $200!), and anything else you think I should know. With only two days, I'll have to prioritize!

Molly Rose, here is a link for a discount ticket booth I've used in the past. It's outdoors and the link also has a picture. It's called tkts. http://timessquare.nyctourist.com/Broadway_tkts.asp

Because Donald Trump also has that The Apprentice show, you might want to visit his Trump Towers with the gold looking doors, Rockefeller Plaza, someone told me that FAO Swartz might be going out of business but, that might be nice to look at a famous place for expensive toys, Central Park, the Empire State Building, the Chrysler building from the outside is nice, depending on your mood and sense of current history, the former site of the World Trade Center, museums, galleries and stores galore. Grand Central Station has a beautiful ceiling of the stars, Greenwich Village, Hayden Planetarium light show, China Town.

You might be able to find a couple of good links for tourist info. Wear comfortable shoes. NYC blocks can be long. There is also a double decker tour bus.

Print out a map for yourself and you can plan your days to get to the most places possible. Don't forget to take a camera with you.

I would be very interested in hearing about your trip! I wish you all a safe and fantastic time!
    Last edited by eldee; 01-29-2004 at 10:48 AM.

MollyRose, Will you be staying in Manhattan or outside of the city?
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

I have a tip for you, MollyRose...take a very, very warm coat! I visited New York City last February, and I don't think I've ever been so cold in my life! (I'm from Colorado, you know.)

A nice hat or something to cover your ears would probably be a great idea, too.

I'm not of very much information, but one tip I learned was do not go to the Hayden Planetarium light show after a night of heavy drinking. :nono My entire group was a complete mess going in there like that!!

Bring a lot of warm clothes, with windchill its been around -30 with windchill. I definatly reccomend going to Time Square, its the quite the site to be seen. But if you just walk youll find some great stores. Ahhh I love NY

Yeah, I echo everyone who said to bring a very warm coat and something to cover your ears. Also, it just snowed here, so keep that in mind. Rockefeller Center, Times Square, and Grand Central Station (and the stores/sights around those places) are definitely worth seeing. So are the museums. Lower Manhattan is a great place to visit too. I don't think I need to repeat anything someone else said, but I hope you enjoy the city!
    Gustav Holst was right!

My only tip is take me with you! I love NYC! My only real tip is bring your best walking shoes, there is a ton of walking to do, and so much to look at...have a fabulous time!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

BTW, if a street vendor is trying to sell you a real Gucci bag or Channel glasses for $10, it juuuust might be a fake. Some vendors are license and others aren't. Watchout for the guy with the 50 watches pinned up inside his jacket. (j/k, I'm sure you know better than that).

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Earmuffs. Earmuffs. Earmuffs. The wind whips through the city like a chainsaw.

See Rent. See Rent. See Rent. (it's my favorite, so I automatically believe it should be everyone elses!)

Go to the Toys R Us in times square. Doesn't matter if you don't have, don't like or don't ever look at kids. It's a really neat place to visit

There's a great bakery uptown with the best chocolate chip cookies I ever had. If you just happen to be wandering in the 70's, check out Levain. It's on the corner of 70th (I think) and Amsterdam or Columbus (some help I am!). It's tiny, but has amazing baked goods.

If you love Italian food, don't miss Little Italy - there's amazing Italian food all over NYC, but your choices here are endless and you can't go wrong in most places. Ditto Chinatown.

USE THE SUBWAY. Taxis are expensive and I swear the subway gets a bad rap. Unless it's the middle of the night and you're alone, using mass transit throughout the day and evening, it's a great way to get around.

I love NY and love to do the touristy things, even though I can be there in 45 minutes. I still love going to Rockefeller Plaza and 5th Avenue.

The museums are amazing - both art and history. Haven't been to museum of radio and TV, but hear it's great.

Have fun! Stay warm! You'll find a Starbuck's on every corner to stay warm and if you need a drugstore, God knows there's a Duane Reade everywhere you look....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast