+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tips for visiting NY?

Bumping this thread - because I am headed to NYC this weekend! (Once those pesky Republicans get out of there )

Anybody else have any suggestions for things I must see? This will be my third trip to New York, but I'd love to hear what the latest attraction is, or if there is an especially good show going on. Has anyone seen "Toxic Audio"?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

OTS... In my mind (consider my screenname.. heh) any show is a show to be seen! I love Broadway and Off-Broadway shows. Love them!

My faves right now have been Aida and Wicked.

Must sees? Hmmm.. I was never much of a *trendy* person when I lived there so I wasn't big on hitting the hotspots, but one of the biggest things I could always recommend is taking the opportunity to just wander the city. Since you've been there a couple of times before I'm sure you've hit the Met, Times Square, Rockefeller Centre, Grand Central etc.. so maybe spend this weekend just following Lex, or 5th ave south to Noho and Soho and finding the little offbeat stores and restaurants along the way?

There are bound to be a number of street fairs happening this weekend, too.. so I would imagine if you wander you can find little fun things with them.

My out of state friends always enjoyed going to Lipps in the West Village. It's a... cross dressing entertainment type bar/restaurant. He/She's with attitude and lip-sync shows. It's fun.

Lemme think a little and ask a friend that's still back in the city. I left there about 9 months ago now so he'll have the latest and greatest.

Where will you be staying??
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I mentioned this earlier, but if you're looking to see some good up and coming bands, head to the "Bitter End" on Bleecker Street in the Village. Jackson Browne and Springsteen played there before hitting it big. A bonus is that there is the absolute best pizza shop just a block down. Great for late night munchies.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Thanks for the ideas guys. Broadway, I will be staying with friend in Brooklyn, but she says she is not really great with the touristy ideas. I know I'll have a great time because I love just wandering the various areas, as you mentioned. Lipps actually sounds like a lot of fun, maybe we'll check that out.

Speedy, I am meeting up with another friend of mine on Sunday, and the Bitter End sounds like it would be right up his alley.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread that I won't repeat. Bearing in mind that I lived in New York in 1990-1991 and last visited in 1998, I can't add anything about the latest hot restaurants etc. I like the Frick Museum because it is small enough that I don't feel overwhelmed. I also like riding the Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park. You get a great view of the Statute of Liberty without having to pay the tourist ferry price. I know some people have been disappointed but I enjoyed visiting Ellis Island. I fully concur in Speedy's Village recommendations. It's a fun place.

Two words: Junior's Cheesecake.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I could spend a week just wondering around the cool shops and restaurants in the East Village.

If you've got a whole day to kill and don't mind the bus, head up to the Cloisters waaaay at the top of Manhattan, past Washington Heights/Harlem/etc. It's part of the Met & if you do it early enough you can do both in the same day for the same ticket price. Plus that really long bus ride up Broadway is about the cheapest way (aside from walking) to see a lot of the city & people watch.

If you like Indian food, go to the Bukhara Grill...fabulous!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Stop by Carolines on Broadway. Right in the heart of times square. Good food and great laughs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345