+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips for visiting NY?

True, not long enough. However, it's great that you're going on a free trip with friends!

BTW, I don't want to point out negative things but, you might not have seen certain "shame on you" news reports re: rip-offs. If an electronic store is selling something at a price too good to be true, then there is a catch to it. They might sell used merchandise as new, etc. Buyer beware.
    Last edited by eldee; 02-02-2004 at 03:02 PM.

Senrik's Favorites:

If you head to the New York Stock Exchange, (Broad and Wall Streets) you can get a tour of the Stock Exchange, and in the end, get a look (from a safe distance) of the trading floor itself.

Opposite the stock Exchange itself is the building that held the first oath of office of the United States of America.

The Hayden Planetarium was removed a few years ago, but the Rose Center (81st and Central Park West) replaced it and is a true sight. It probably has the clearest glass anywhere on earth (when its clean).

Cafe Borgia, on Bleeker Street, is one of the original Beatnik hangouts and you can still hear them do poetry and Folk music.

The Blue-note on third Street and the Avenue of the America's is the Jazz Cultural Mecca of New York Jazz. Its world famous....

I can go on if you like......
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Molly Rose, do you have an idea what you and your friends will be doing on your trip?

If I ever go to NM, I'm sure I can count on you for some good info!

I'm a manhattanite and have some suggestions not mentioned:

Most of the museums are free or donaton only, my fave is the Native American Museum (Museum of the American Indian?) It's a Smithsonion Extension, located at 1 bowling green (take the #5 , a green line, or the N/R - yellow to Bowling Green). I volunteered there recently and had a blast.

Museum of natural History is another good one, take the C (blue line ) to 81st, also donation only.

The Cloisters (A to 191) is great, it's the medeval arts museum, made to look like a castle, donation only. It has the unicorn tapestries, etc.

If you're looking for something racier there's the Sex Museum somewhere down down.

the SouthStreet Seaport is also a great place to hang out (most trains go there, for me the easiest is the 2 (redline) to Wall street then walk toward the water. There is a mall, boat tours, the Beast - a high speed boat, etc.

Rent is a good play to see because if you go two hours before show time there is a drawing for 20$ tickets, and that is for the first two rows. The one time I went I got two tickets 20$ each. There are also stand by tickets for less popular shows that are around twenty, you can get Phantom tickets for cheap now. also look for of f broadway, I am still kicking myself for not getting Avenue Q tickets before it hit broadway when it was only 15$

let's see -

Sammys on 6th avenue/11th street is great cheap chinese food. There is also one on Bleecker Street.

Have fun! feel free to ask me any questions, I'm actaully off to Canada this week though, so won't be in much.

HAve a blast!

Well, we got tickets to Gypsy which was the "compromise" show for us. It'll be fine, but I was hoping to see "Wicked". The other night we get in around 5:00, so I think once we get to the hotel and settled we'll only have time for dinner. I would really like to go to "De La Guarda" which I saw once in Vegas and LOVED! However, my friends are a little scared of it. Babies.

They also want to get a two-day pass on the double decker bus and hop on and off. I guess this will be a good way to see a lot (briefly), but I'm frustrated because I don't think I'm going to get to a museum. Oh well, I'll have to just scope things out and go back when I have more time!

Any restaurant suggestions around the United Nations? We're staying at the Crown Plaza there.

MolllyRose, (and anyone else) -

You can also get discounted show tickets at http://www.playbill.com/index.php
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Yes! I got our tickets through Playbill.com. There's another similar site at theatremania.com. (or is it theatermania.com? er...re...one of those)

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    Things you must do the forum would die hearing about:
    Go see Rocco's 21st
    Fall asleep in the NY subway and recieve a Queer eye make over!

j/k

get a rental and drive around... I'd pay my respects in Manhattan...

Well, ahem, I'm a New Yorker and have been all my life. What I must say is to definitely go to top of the Empire State Building-no need to ride the "skyline ride" major waste of valuable time and money! If you're into museums, Metropolitan Museum of art-located on 84th st. and 5th avenue. Do go to Macy's on 34st. Eat at Sal and Carmines Pizzeria on 102st and Broadway. Have fun, I hope I helped somewhat. Also, do go to Ground Zero. It is hard for a lot of people, but for some it's an important thing to do.
    Last edited by Citizen Kaos; 03-20-2004 at 05:43 PM.

Someone might be visiting the Big Apple so I am moving this thread up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast