+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips for visiting NY?

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    At night: Head to Bleeker street (in the Village) and check out Senior Swanky's for some grub and happy hour magarita's.

ANOTHER SWANKY'S FAN??? We became regulars at his uptown location before our daughter was born. I love both locations. The Senor himself, Sal, is the best, most lovable guy in the whole world. Tiny bit of trivia - my husband and I were the first "real" people to make the wall of pictures uptown. For those who have never been there, there are hundreds of pictures on the walls of celebrities and magazine covers with autographs. One caveat though - the owner Sal cuts pictures of himself to make it look like he's in the photo. It's the most hilarious thing to see pictures of the I Love Lucy cast, but Sal's face over Fred's body. I think our picture has since been taken down, but that's okay! We had our claim to fame.

I need a Senor fix now!

I really reccomend going to eat at Jeckle and Hyde (spelling) its probably the best theme resturant in New York in my opinion. I belive there are two locations. I have been to 3 others and have not been impressed. I really didnt like Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood and Mars 2112 have the coolest atmosphere but the food stinks. ESPN zone is also cool, but I havnt eaten there. If you want a quick bite i suggest Sabarro's they have really good pizza.

To echo AIWANABE - Jeckyl and Hyde's is a really fun place. I've been to both locations. Also - some of the best wings I've had in NYC were at Down the Hatch on west 4th in the village. Its a real dive but the wings and beer are great.

Also, If your only there for a few days, don't try to see it all. NYC is HUGE. Pick a few things you'd like to do and stick to that. Otherwise you'll run around like crazy and never get to enjoy any of it.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Now that I've looked around some more on the badger site, I've discovered lots of fun stuff, especially cartoons. Check out http://www.weebls-stuff.com/

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    Try not to take a purse. Keep your money and ID in a small wallet you can keep in your front pants pocket and use one of those disposable cameras. On my very first trip to NYC, I looked like a typical tourist, and I had a guy rip my purse and camera straight off of my arm. A real pro. Luckily I didn't have any credit cards and my license was from Nebraska (my very hunky husband had all of the cash). So the next time I dressed like everyone else and didn't have a problem.

We really liked the Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitain Museum of Art.

We went down into Delancey and got some really great kosher deli.

If you like to shop, the garment district has tons of clothes and for pretty cheap!

We were hanging around Rockefeller Center trying to decipher the subway map (taxis are way too expensive) around lunchtime and saw Tom Brokaw (haggard old man without his makeup) and David Letterman strolling around.

I suggest for you to start at Battery Park and work your way north.

And take a really warm coat and hat!
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

Thanks!

I see that I somehow posted a reply to the "messed up stuff..." thread here.

I've had a long, long day.

Molly Rose, you can also get subway info on line. Sometimes there's a copy on the platform. You can always just ask the token clerk. If you need to go from i.e. East to west, you can take the Shuttle (it won't say shuttle but, it's a S in a circle. Gray circle with a white s). I can't stress comfortable footware enough. (Careful when you cross the streets, it may not matter that you have the right of way).

BTW, don't you live in NM? How long will your trip take one way?
    Last edited by eldee; 02-02-2004 at 01:53 PM.

Yes, I do live in NM and I think our trip will take 6 hours (including a layover). I would have rather gone to Vegas or somewhere else that's an hour away, considering we'll only have one full day in NY, but since it's free I can't complain. I'm anticipating being frustrated with the lack of time, though.

The walking is a big issue for me. I have rheumatoid arthritis and my feet are a mess. I just tell them to not be surprised if I end up having to sit somewhere and they can go on without me if necessary.

So far, here's what the other girls want to do (tell me what you guys think):
    Thursday night go on a dinner cruise (which one? World Yacht?)

Friday buy a "hop-on-and-off" ticket for Greyline tours. (but it's $70?!) I'm not sure about this...

Friday night go to a show, probably either Gypsy, Hairspray or Wicked. I found an online site for discount tickets, where you "subscribe" for $12, then get about about a 40% cheaper ticket. It's called www.entertainment-link.com. Does this sound legit? The other girls DON'T want to stand in line at TKTS.

Saturday morning...get ready to go. Have to be at the airport at 2:00.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking I want to hit the MOMA, and maybe skip the bus tour. It would be nice to see a lot of sites, though.

Re: your walking, then you might want to either take a taxi or bus. You have to walk up and down stairs for the subways and some places, ie: going to the shuttle from Grand Central Station is a long way to go. If you see a line of people on the street near a popular location like GCS, it might be a line for a taxi.

I would say print a map of NYC and look at your options and see what is the most feasible. IMO, everyone should have one pick that will be used.

I've never ordered tickets on line. Good luck if you/they order that way. If not, then maybe one can wait on line at TSK and the rest can do a little walking around times Square.

When is your trip again?
    Last edited by eldee; 02-02-2004 at 02:38 PM.

We're going out on March 4th, coming home on the 6th. Not long enough!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast