+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips for visiting NY?

Now I feel that we should all meet up in NYC for a weekend day!

FORT Fogey
    Go see Aida, it's a great broadway play, and by golly, what do you know? Michelle T. Williams is in it, who woulda thunk? Lol.

NYC has really cleaned up its act in the last 5 years or so. I love going to visit!!

During the day: Begin at Battery Park and put a few hot dogs down. Up a few blocks is the WTC site. A few minutes of taxi riding will get you to Union Square where they a have a great outdoor market and bistro's. Go a little further uptown and check out Disneyland....ooops, I mean Times Square. Times Square is a great place to people watch and soak in all the lights and gadgets.

At night: Head to Bleeker street (in the Village) and check out Senior Swanky's for some grub and happy hour magarita's. A few doors down is a great bar called The Bitter End. They showcase up and coming bands and it's very cozy. Right next door is also a great blues bar. On that block alone are 5-6 different bars for your choosing. You can go from trendy to dive bar. There is also a pizza joint that serves the best pie in town!!

Enjoy your trip!!

I like Michelle's voice. It's nice that she gets to have a solo project.

You can also take a picture outside of Radio City Music Hall, Macy*s, a pep show, you can have a quick Nathan's hotdog and fries. I mention pictures because there have been so many movies that used NYC and I thought if you were in the area of some of those places, you can take a pic, i.e. outside the Manhattan research library (with the lions guarding the steps) where the characters went from Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Thanks for all the great tips - keep em comin!

My friend has gotten us a room at the Crown Plaza next to the United Nations. Does this sound okay?

She's also talking about doing a bus tour of the city, so we can see a lot.

I'm feeling a little frustrated because there is SO much I want to see and do, but only one day to do it! I'd almost rather wait and do this trip another time and hit Vegas with three days. Oh well, I can't complain - it's free.

Marybeth - "Rent" is one of my favorite musicals and I've seen an amazing production of it with Neil Patrick Harris (yes, Doogie Houser) who is from here. There's another one coming through next month, so I will probably see something else. "Wicked" is at the top of my list.

If I go to one museum, which is the best?

If you're up early you can go down to a Today Show taping. Fridays they usually have live bands, so that might be fun... For the Broadway Show, you may check into seeing a matinee. I don't know if they have them everyday... Just Wednesdays I think? The tickets are usually quite a bit cheaper...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Here's a link listing of all the Museums www.ny.com/Museums

I would say the most popular would be Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)Link to Museum of Modern Art
    Last edited by Brodie; 01-29-2004 at 06:23 PM. Reason: To Correct the Link
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Some of my favorite NY places:

The Natural History Museeum. Don't forget the planetarium.

Central park. Last time I visited (it was summer) I sat down at one of the baseball fields and watched a bunch of guys playing, arguing over the rules, and generally chewing the breeze. A perfect NYC moment. God I live missing in a big city.

For Seinfeld buffs (like myself) Toms Diner is absolutely essential. The food is not great, but there are autographed pictures of the Seinfeld crews on the walls.

Food: don't miss Katz's Deli. It is food heaven (if you like meat), and also very, very NYC. The fake orgasm scene of "When Harry met Sally" was filmed there. The pictures on the wall are all celebreties who have autographed them and written a few words about how great Katz are. This inclused former and current Presidents plus all manner of entertainemnt stars. My mouth is watering just at the thought of all that food. A sandwich is plenty for feeding two people, if they are not linebackers on the way home from practise or teenage boys.

A tip for Brooklyn bridge: if you want to walk across start on the Brooklyn side (take the subway) otherwise you'll hurt you neck looking back at the skyline. The Brooklyn promenade and Roosevelt Island also have great views of Manhattan.

Just wanted to mention some things that hadn't already been mentioned.

OMG, this thread is driving me nuts! I can hardly wait to plan my next trip to the Big Apple!

If you are planning to go the Empire State Building, just know that there is a long wait. On my last trip, we tried to go our last day there and didn't have enough time to wait in the line.

I agree about the subway, it is not bad at all and goes everywhere! You can buy a pass for a few days that saves a bit of money and get a subway map. You can get around almost everywhere and it doesn't really take that long.

Again, have a fabulous time! I know you will
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    I agree about the subway, it is not bad at all and goes everywhere! You can buy a pass for a few days that saves a bit of money and get a subway map. You can get around almost everywhere and it doesn't really take that long.
    I love the subway. Sounds weird, but I'm stuck in this college town and when I get to NYC I'm so pshyched about riding an actual train and weawing through the crowds at the stations when I transfer. God, I need a big city fix real bad!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast