+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone from DC?

Ooooo...I've been in DC twice in the last 3 months. I love it there!

There is a bath/body product store there called Lush...I think in Georgetown. If you go to www.lush.com you can find the address and look at products. I know, I know, how great can bath stuff be, you ask? Well, the only way I was able to get the stuff before was when my friend's hubby when to London and they finally open a couple stores here. When I'm in CA next week? I've got $150 ear-marked for a spree.

There is a great cafe on the corner near one of the Metro stations called La Tasca...danged if I can remember the name or the corner streets, but we sat on the sidewalk cafe and had tapas and sangria.

I wanna go...don't you need someone to carry your luggage?

Hi Firegirl-

I strongly suggest visiting the Holocaust museum (if you havn't already). It's an emotional rollercoaster, but really worth it.

Then to liven it up a bit, drive to the old district in Alexandria, VA and party like a rockstar!!!!

FORT Fogey
    Oh I forgot that was there, I want to do that one.. there are some scheduled events while we are there and he is in meetings like touring some homes. Thanks for the suggesions everyone I will have to do some of them.
    If you think of anymore keep them coming!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    Ooooo...I've been in DC twice in the last 3 months. I love it there!

There is a bath/body product store there called Lush...I think in Georgetown. If you go to www.lush.com you can find the address and look at products. I know, I know, how great can bath stuff be, you ask? Well, the only way I was able to get the stuff before was when my friend's hubby when to London and they finally open a couple stores here. When I'm in CA next week? I've got $150 ear-marked for a spree.

There is a great cafe on the corner near one of the Metro stations called La Tasca...danged if I can remember the name or the corner streets, but we sat on the sidewalk cafe and had tapas and sangria.

I wanna go...don't you need someone to carry your luggage?
    Oh that sounds yummy! Feel free to meet me there, yes to the luggage thing too. I am not looking forward to packing winter clothing for 10-12 days!

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I don't know if anyone's suggested this yet, but the International Spy Museum is pretty cool.

FORT Fogey
    Now that might be fun too, I think that is on one of the tour days.

FORT Newbie

some suggestions! woogie's from dc

there is a fun beatles exhibit at the Museum of American History.

The best small museum in my opinion is national geographic, which is on 17th just beow Dupont Circle. Lots of good eats there -- Bistro du Coin, Johnny's Half Shell, Pizzeria Paradiso, Tabard Inn (for breakfast esp., or drinks at night near the fire), Al Tiramisu. Luna Grill (hearty breakfasts). Pick up a city paper when you get to town (free, published on thursdays) which has all the happenings. -- live music, open mic nights, poetry slams etc (check out washingtoncitypaper.com for some advance ideas). The Kennedy Center has (I think) free shows at 6:30 in the great hall -- lots of local acts.

on the weekend if the weather is good check out Eastern Market (7th and C SE, E. Market metro, blue or orange) On Saturdays its a farmers market, on sundays more of a flea market. oldest continuously operating farmers market on the east coast. saturday morning they make the BEST blueberry buckwheat pancakes in the entire world but get there EARLY.

for opinionated eating advice visit chowhound.com and click on midatlantic boards and post the details of your trip -- people will give great advice on hotels, activiteis and of course food, but you must be specific about your preferences.
    you can also check out swing dancing at Glen Echo, an old amusement park west of town (need a car) -- I think on saturday nights they do a lesson, then you dance at 8 pm. very fun.

for night time fun check out U Street (between 16th and 13th NW); there are cool places down 14th too.

have a great time -- DC is a lovely city. and if you can't find anyplace to watch Bachelorette, get in touch!

FORT Fogey
    Haha thanks Woogie! I might have to forgo one of the "scheduled dinners" and do that! Oh and Welcome to the site!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12