+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worm/bug

Worm/bug

Lucy also put a post under the Currents Events thread.

This may not apply but, here is a message I got at work:

There is a new e-mail based virus that is running rampant over the Internet. It is called W32.Novarg.A@mm (W32/Mydoom@MM [McAfee], WORM_MIMAIL.R [Trend]). This virus is called a mass-mailing worm, as it will send out e-mail messages on its own when executed.
    is scanning all inbound e-mail to protect from this (and all other e-mail based viruses) before it even gets inside the network. Some users will see a message with the following information in the body:

A virus (WORM_MIMAIL.R) was detected in the file (message.zip/message.pif). Action taken = remove

This is a good thing.

For more information on this e-mail virus, please refer to the following website:

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/da...varg.a@mm.html

As always, if you are unsure of an e-mail based on its sender, subject line, or attachment – delete it.

Along with protecting all inbound and outbound Internet e-mail, we are also protecting all desktop, laptop, and server computers with Symantec Antivirus, which also scans your Outlook mailbox as well as protects the computer from non e-mail based viruses. All of our Antivirus systems are updated on a daily basis and at times where there are virus outbreaks, hourly.

I've gotten about 25 emails with this attached in the last 24 hours! I haven't opened any of the attachments, but is this one that can scoop up your address book anyway and mail itself to everyone in it?

No, it can't MR. Just like any other virus, it must be opened/executed to install.

I'm getting around 200/hour currently. FORT mail is catching most of them, though.

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    I love Norton Corporate Edition. While I slept like a baby last night it updated all 120 of my pc's with the updated virus definition file.

-Randy (execute just one of these little sob's and this crap would stop)
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

I use AVG, which is free for personal use, and it stops any that manage to get through the clamav that the FORT uses.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I use AVG, which is free for personal use, and it stops any that manage to get through the clamav that the FORT uses.
    I run our mail server here at work. we first started seeing this one about 3pm PST, when our service dept. got it..... Our email scanner attempts to retrieve updates daily. Even so, I updated the def's, and scanned our email server. 7 on the system at that time. since then.... we have had 208 (and counting) of those little nasties hit the email fence.

FYI the product we are using is scanmail for Exchange.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

simple sol'ns:

(1) I only read my emails through email web sites, e.g. Yahoo, Hotmail. I never download emails into my computer (so I don't use Outlook.) If there're bugs or viruses, Yahoo or MSN would take care of them at their servers.

(2) Besides the automatic spam filters, I delete all emails from senders I don't recognize.
    Last edited by Bill747; 01-27-2004 at 05:38 PM.
    "The greatest myth in the world is that beauty equals goodness." Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill747
    (1) I only read my emails through email web sites, e.g. Yahoo, Hotmail. I never download emails into my computer (so I don't use Outlook.) If there's bug or virus, Yahoo or MSN would take care of it at their servers.
    Not true, Bill. I had two emails with this bug in my yahoo account today. Granted, it was in the bulk mail, but it was there nonetheless. The first time the sender was my exact email address...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Will my anti-virus program (I have the same as John) alert me if an infected email comes in?
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

I'm not sure, Jewelsy. But the deal with this particular bug is that you have to open the attachment to become infected (I believe).The body of the message will say something like "This message contains unicode or binary text and cannot be displayed. Open the attached text file to read your message" (something like that)

Just don't open any attachments and you should be okay...

ETA: See article posted by Lucy in Current Events http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...83&postcount=1
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast