+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: TiVo!

TiVo!

I got TiVo for my birthday, and I have to tell you, this is the most amazing invention that people don't even realize they need, until it starts doing its thing. If you can get it, it is so worth it! Right now we have it set to pick up all episodes of about 12 different shows--I no longer have to remember what night things are on--and if I'm watching something live, and then need to put the kids to bed, I just push "pause" and it stops!

Pardon me while I date myself, but I remember the ancient days of cooking a frozen enchilada in the oven for 45 minutes--and then my Dad went out and bought a microwave with a big minute dial on it. Suddenly you could have a TV dinner in 5 minutes , and things have never been the same since. THAT is like TiVo now.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Very Cool

I only have digital cable, so I don't think it would work for me.

How much is it anyway?
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Jewls with the digital cable you might want to look into a DVR (digital video recorder) service. Not sure if they'd have it out there where you are, but Bright House Cable here offers it for digital subscribers. It does a lot of the same functions as TiVo does, and for me it's only an extra $6/month. Mine's preset for all my shows to record their entire seasons, and you can record 2 shows at the same time, as well as stop/pause/rewind live tv. There's a minor downfall though, that while you're recording those 2 shows you do have to be watching one of those channels, there's only a couple of nights a week that I really wish for a 3rd channel option, but all in all I'm totally in love with the service.

That digital recording service sounds just like TiVo. TiVo will also keep track of the things you like, and record episodes of similar shows just in case you want to try those too. It's great for movies too. You can scroll through a long list of coming movies and pick out ones you want to watch sometime, then forget about it until the day it magically appears on the recorded list. It is all so cool. The only thing I don't like is that it keeps recording pay-per-view adult shows, so they will be ready if we are so inclined (we don't have to pay unless we watch it). That is kind of nervy of it. I have not figured out how to make it stop doing that.

Our service is through Direct TV, and is an extra $4.99 a month, plus the cost of the recorder/tuner which was $299 at Best Buy. But that was for the only unit they had in stock, the biggest 100 hour version. They do come smaller, but those were sold out. That's what I get for having a birthday so close to Christmas.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Thanks you guys. I'll check it out. I think I remember our cable company (Comcast) saying they'd be coming out with that type of product soon. Hey -- maybe they have it now. For a few extra bucks a month, it would be so worth it.

Libs - is it the same as Tivo where it kinda of records it into memory?
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Libra, we don't have anything like that here. I would just be in such tv heaven. I don't even know of anyone who has Tivo. So..I'm thinking of moving to Florida. Will you marry me?

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Time Warner cable make a Tivo-like set top box.

Doesn't have hidef though so I don't have one. I'd rather have hidef than Tivo.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

I *like* my TiVo, but I'm not in love with it like I was prepared to be. Themain reason why is that the non-DirecTV version of it, which I have, only records 1 show, and you can either watch something else that TiVo has recorded at the same time or switch to a second antenna-in option where you can't pause live TV or anything while it's recording.

There are only 2 features that we really use - the pausing live TV (we use that one a LOT), and the built-in Guide. For $300 and $13/month, it's really not worth it for us.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I love my TiVo, but I've only had it since Christmas - so I might still be in the honeymoon phase. I do love that it records stuff even if it's on at a different time. Case in point this past Thursday, Without a Trace was on at 8 and 10 and it knew to record both

I swore I wouldn't need the 100 hour one (we got the 35 hour one), but I guarantee someday I'll want the bigger one!!

edited because I hate when I spell things wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I *like* my TiVo, but I'm not in love with it like I was prepared to be. Themain reason why is that the non-DirecTV version of it, which I have, only records 1 show, and you can either watch something else that TiVo has recorded at the same time or switch to a second antenna-in option where you can't pause live TV or anything while it's recording.
    With our set up, we had to run two connections from the Direct TV dish to the TiVo box, but now we can indeed record two things at a time while watching something already recorded, or watch one live and record another. The only trouble is that too much good TV is ending up on the central family room TiVo box, causing traffic jams. I want to get another box for our bedroom TV for Chris's birthday in Feb, but I think we've maxed out our dish connections.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast