+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: TiVo!

From all that I have heard and seen, Jewelsy, take that DVD vs. TV/Video difference and at least double it, or even triple it. HDTV really is that good....if you have all the right connections hooked up AND are able to receive an HD signal from somewhere. I think LoneStar said it best when he told me "Its like looking through a window".

BTW, LSS....satellite companies DO offer HDTV, but since it takes up so much bandwidth, you have to get a different dish that is able to bring in signal from a satellite with a different orbit/sky location, and a different receiver box. DirecTv and TiVo are about to debut a receiver/unit that will record 10-20 hours of HD programming, or up to 200 for regular programming. Yeah, the bandwidth is quite a hog!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    I'm curious... do y'all see a noticeable difference with the high definition TV? I'm wondering if it would even be worth it for me. I do know that when I watch a DVD, I can see it much better than, for instance, regular TV or a video.

Any input on this?
    HDTV is to normal TV as progressive scan DVD is to a VHS pre-recorded tape.

It's like looking through a window and has to been seen to really be appreciated.

Sports is just awesome in HD. Superbowl in HD.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Jewelsy-got my HDTV last year and LOVE IT! Worth every penny. Take a favorite movie and you will see the peach fuzz hair on people's faces. It is that crisp. Combine that with surround sound and you will be in heaven. Just can't do the TIVO thing yet. :mad:

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Mr. D, LSS and Ineeda. Thank you SOOOO much for the input. I think I'll put that on my list of things to get.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

I just had to bump this thread, and add that I LOVE my Tivo. I don't know what I would do without it!

But be warned, once you go Tivo, you can't go back.
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

Nice Bump, Wenders!

I love my DVR too. I have 2 Ultimate TVs, and I recently upgraded BOTH with larger harddrives....I now have 105 hours of recording on EACH unit. I have been traveling home to Chicago a lot over the last several weeks to deal with family issues, and I currently have about 60 hours of shows that I have stored up to watch. Even with skipping commercials and skipping through the fluff, I can't get caught up! I have 4 weeks of "Without a Trace" and "Deadwood" that I need to dedicate 8 hours to soon!!

TiVo/DVRs are the way to go! I hardly EVER watch live TV anymore...mostly just for sports(and even then, I like to let the game play for a little so I can skip commercials, and I rewind to see great plays a lot).
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenders
    But be warned, once you go Tivo, you can't go back.
    Ain't that the truth Wenders!! I actually find myself wanting to leave while some shows are on just so I can watch it on DVR and forward thru all the commercials and filler junk. Heck I even find myself recording things I'd NEVER have watched in the first place just cause I figure one night I'll be bored and get back to it, and it always happens. I definitely loves my DVR!

TiVo...Yea or Nay?

I hope that I am putting this in the right forum. We are thinking of getting TiVo. Can anyone tell their experiences with it? We have Directv, anyone else use it with Directv? We are at the moment still using a VCR and keep missing shows that we want to see. We forget that they are on or just forget to set the VCR. Also, will TiVo record movies from HBO, Cinemax and Starz? Or does it just do TV shows? Directv is offering TiVo equipment for $99 right now, is that a good deal? Are there any hidden expenses that come with having TiVo? I know that I can ask Directv all this, but love to hear first hand experiences from real people so that I have something to compare to what Directv will tell me. Thanks for anyone that can help.

Oh, one more question. It says that anything you record you can easily save to a tape on your VCR. Can TiVo be hooked up to a computer (instead of a VCR) and download your recorded programs to a CD instead? Would love to eliminate all of our VCR tapes.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

TiVo boooooooo...

We did not like it at all, it is so bizzare to me that you can't record a program without watching it?

Basically it just seems to work like a VCR without the tape.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our DVR, if your cable company offers this I highly recommend it, we can tape two programs at once, we can watch recorded shows while taping, we can do all the other fancy stuff, pause, ff etc... Plus we didn't have to buy the box, we just pay the 10 bucks a month for the service and it replaces your digital cable box.

Anyway, our experience with TiVo was depressing.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLVNV
    TiVo boooooooo...

We did not like it at all, it is so bizzare to me that you can't record a program without watching it?
    That's not true, Ginger... it should be working exactly like your DVR, but you must not have yours set up properly with the telephone and cable lines. I know my brother does have that issue, but.. it has to do with the cable line coming into your house. (If he were awake I'd get the reasoning from him.) Call into customer service and they'll get it set up right.

Melitta, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Tivo, and honestly don't know what I did without it. I have DirecTv and can actually Tivo two programs at the same time although in that case the tv will need to be on one of those channels (the system will switch it to the second channel that you programmed to record.)

One of the fun things that helps to combat my short term memory problems is the Season Pass feature. You can set it up ahead of time to record all of Survivor, all of Queer Eye, etc.. and it's easy to cancel it on a one time basis if you find yourself home without a need to save it.

The $99 deal is the best one that I've found out there. The only extra cost is it's $4.99 per month per tv that has Tivo. I know that if you have your VCR hooked into the tivo receiver you can download from Tivo into your VCR... but I have no idea about the computer. I can peek into my manual tonight if you don't have an answer by then.
    Last edited by Broadway; 10-08-2004 at 12:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread