+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: TiVo!

The only problems I have encountered have been the very rare user-error problems associated with not paying attention.

I Tivo.
    I’m haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

FORT Fogey
    ok I got a TIVO for christmas but havent started using it yet. I have sattelite cable, because we can't get local/network programming w/direct tv here. So, before I open this thing up and start using it, I am wondering from the posts above, will it not do all it is capable of doing because it is a 'stand alone" thingy? I am confused now and wondering if I have the thing I should have!

Satellite cable? Dish Network, or what? I don't understand...

I'll bet FG means DIGITAL cable.

A standalone TiVo unit will still do all the things it promises. However, it will only have ONE input, whereas DirecTv's TiVo supports 2 inputs. All that this means is Standalones can record 1 show at a time, and DirecTiVo's can record 2 shows at a time, or record 1 show while you watch something else.

The standalone unit with cable will require some additional setup, and additional know-how, but I think you will like it either way.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Link: Explorer 8000 DVR/HDTV box begins rollout

Can't wait to get me one of these.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

FORT Fogey
    Oops yes I meant digital cable,, they keep calling it satellite cable here, but that is what I meant Mr D! Thanks , ok then I will open it up and put it to use! Does it still allow you to pause live tv and can you watch while it is recording?

Yes, and yes.

So, John, just to be certain.....with the standalone units, you CAN watch something that has already been recorded, while the unit is currently recording something else?

I dont understand why TiVo hasn't taken on some partnerships with cable companies/cable tv in general and started making dual tuner CABLE versions of their box. Perhaps they have some non-compete clause in their agreement with DirecTv. It just seems like it would be pretty easy to make a dual cable tuner that would allow you to record 2 shows at once.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Yes, but only that. You cannot record 2 shows simultaneously.

TiVo and DirecTV, I believe, are owned by the same parent company. From what I remember.

We are SO degenerate. Over the weekend Chris went out and bought 2 smaller TiVo/DirecTV units, so that now we have it in our bedroom, and in the playroom, as well as the family room. We'd had a major traffic jam on the family room unit, when suddenly 6 people all needed to watch different things on one TV. Now I've set the bedroom TiVo to picking up movies (Caddy Shack was on at 5:00 am) and old Star Treks along with my reality shows. The family room, where my 4 yr old daughter hangs out, is getting all the PBS Kids shows. The back playroom is getting all the Adult Swim cartoons and horror movies that my older boys want to watch without terrorizing their little sister. Now everybody is happy. And, its only $4.99 per month, no matter how many TiVo boxes in the house, so we only pay for it once.
    Last edited by MalibuPam; 01-26-2004 at 08:14 PM.

+ Reply to Thread