+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: TiVo!

You have the DirecTV with TiVo receiver, which is specifically for a DirecTV installation. If you don't have DirecTV (like I don't), you can only record one program while watching another pre-recorded one, which reduces the usefulness of TiVo quite a bit.

Jewls in answer to your question...yep everything is just saved into memory, up to 50 hours on the version that they offer here. I can go pretty much one week if I didn't erase things right after watching them. Actually I've yet to use all my space and I have SEVERAL movies saved up as well as recording shows nightly..but then again I'm really good about erasing after a couple of days.

JD...sure honey I'll marry you then you can enjoy all my DVR goodies at your own leisure.

I have DVR from my cable company (Time Warner) it costs about $8 extra a month. I've only had it for a bout three weeks now and I love it. Pausing and rewinding live TV is a great feature considering I have two little kids and its rare that I can watch an entire show uninterrupted. I also like the fact that I can record two shows at once and watch a recorded show while I record another.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    With all the hype lately on this board about TIVO, I have recently checked it out myself. *pouting-I want one!* It does not appear to have the capability of keeping of with the latest technology "yet". What I mean is that I do not have cable or dish, I have a HDTV with a HD set top box receiver(and love that) and I don't have a land-line phone, but do have broadband cable for my computer. What I found is that I cannot record the digital signal with a TIVO recorder "yet" and I can't use the broadband cable from my computer (no way to decode the A/V signals through a wireless connection) and without a phone line-I'm pretty much left waiting until they make a box that can record off the HD set top box.

Unless anyone out there is in my same predicament-then do tell! Please. I would love to record all these shows without having to schedule my life around them and a silly VCR.

FORT Fogey
    I have no idea what you just said ineedalife, but I'm pretty sure I'm not in the same predicament... I just don't understand any of this technical language...

Like most of you, I absolutely love my DVR. I have "Ultimate TV", which is a Microsoft product for DirecTv. For some reason(probably because MS got into this game too early, and when the product wasn't adopted quickly enough, they pulled the plug) they have stopped making these boxes and have moved toward their whole "media center" PCs. Ultimate TV is great. Awesome interface, it uses DirecTv(my preferred provider), records 2 shows at the same time, and I can watch another recorded show too, has PIP for when I watch NFL or College Hoops, and this box even has WebTv, although that pretty much sucks.

Ineedalife--they will be making HDTV tivos eventually....but I think the first boxes will be for DirecTv, not for Over-the-Air, set top HDTV receivers. The thing with the DirecTiVo's(and my Ultimate TV) is that the TiVo does not need to convert the incoming signal to a digital format for saving on the hard drive....and this is why cable and over the air boxes have fewer features. When a TiVo gets an analog signal(from cable or over-the-air), it upconverts it to a digital stream, and stores it. It takes more components to do so. The signal coming from a satelite, or from digital cable is already digital, so these TiVo's have less to do to save the program. I think the first DirecTv HDTV tivo will be coming out this year...but it will only record 10-20 hours of HDTV signals.

John, I can understand your issues with your TiVo. The whole "standalone" TiVo box never appealed to me, and I can see where many people would be turned off by it....as they were promised something revolutionary, and it really ends up being a glorified VCR that you have to pay extra each month for. I know you have said in the past that you don't really have a need for DirecTv, but they do have some great offers for TiVo units and service. I think their lowest package, which has tons of channels, is less than $30/month.

I had DirecTV for a while, but really didn't use it much.

I get my cable as part of another package that I can't get rid of. I couldn't cancel cable if I tried. I also get HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime included. So, if we got DirecTV, we're basically paying the extra per month for that service *in addition* to having cable that we can't get rid of. When we had it last, they didn't have local channels in our area, but they do now...

One thing DirecTV is good for for us that in our cable package, we don't have WB, UPN, MTV, E!, Food Network, Comedy Central, or a bunch of other channels we kind of like.

I don't have TiVO myself, but have been lusting after it since the day I was mesmerized by their infomercial at 3am. I have heard though that some people have problems with the recording, sometimes it doesn't record when you want it to--how often is this a problem with you guys?
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 01-26-2004 at 03:48 PM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I've never had a problem with it in the 6 months or so that I've owned it. The only time it missed an episode was when I specifically set it to record The Apprentice, episode 2, on a Wednesday. NBC at the last minute moved the NEW episode to Thursday, and replayed the premiere on Wednesday.

If I'd had a season pass set up, it would have caught that change. But since I was lazy, it didn't.

Almost never a problem for me, SfG. There are times when there are conflicts, and the unit will not record one show(sometimes the networks rearrange the schedule, and there are 3 shows that want to record at the same time), but you usually are made aware of the conflict, and get to choose which shows to record. DVR's really do deliver on their promise. They are always looking for the shows you have scheduled, so if the time moves, it finds it. You can start watching a show that is recording before its actually done recording.

I can't imagine TV without a DVR. I am addicted.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread