View Poll Results: How do you spend Thanksgiving?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dinner at my house

4 23.53%
  • Dinner at another house

6 35.29%
  • Visit multiple locations

3 17.65%
  • Do nothing

0 0%
  • Don't live in the US

4 23.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you spend Thanksgiving?

Hectic and Thanksgiving do not go together in my book. It is always relaxed. People wonder in and out as they please, no official "dining" table. The meal is at 1pm...come early or late it does not matter. Graze all day and play indoor or out. Adults and children everywhere and we share kids all day. hug/reprimand mine as your own. It is a great day! Ornament exchange at about 2:30 or 3:00pm.

Tomorrow I am going to be online at 8:30 am to chat with my cousin's family that are missionaries in Africa. I have not seen them in over a year. May be another before they come back to the states.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Why do Americans celebrate Thanksgiving on THURSDAYS? The extra holiday?
    You Miss F, I never really knew, so I looked it up:

Well all know that it was started by the pilgrims giving thanks, but here's more detail.

"After the United States became an independent country, Congress recommended one yearly day of thanksgiving for the whole nation to celebrate. George Washington suggested the date November 26 as Thanksgiving Day. Then in 1863, at the end of a long and bloody civil war, Abraham Lincoln asked all Americans to set aside the last Thursday in November as a day of thanksgiving. In 1939 President Franklin D. Roosevelt set it one week earlier. He wanted to help business by lengthening the shopping period before christmas. Congress ruled that after 1941 the 4th Thursday in November would be a federal holiday proclaimed by the President each year."

So, there you have it. Thanksgiving is even more American than we thought - it's all about the almighty dollar.

And now you know the rest of the story.

It might have something to do with Black Friday being the day after Thanksgiving. That'd be the most hectic day for Xmas shopping. I've never gone shopping on Black Friday myself, but my grandmother and aunt have done so. I hear that it's REALLY packed!

Mdrio- It IS! I never go shopping that day anymore!

Thursday will be dinner here, with some immediate family, "Mr." Kylie and his parents, and some close friends. So we're looking at about 20 people over for dinner and then some football.

Friday, instead of shopping, I'll be at a birthday party for one of my best friends.

"Mr." Kylie
    Something we should know about here, Miss "Innocent"?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Something we should know about here, Miss "Innocent"?
    Nothing at all.

You know, I just found myself typing that, even though it's not technically correct. Hmmm. Freudian slip? Or premonition?

Or hidden desire? Next on Spice...
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I think Kylie is expecting a sparkling gift in a small box this year...

Point of meaningless trivia, the busiest shopping day of the year is no longer the day after Thanksgiving, for the past several years it has actually been the day after Christmas.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I think Kylie is expecting a sparkling gift in a small box this year...
    For the sake of my sanity, let's hope Kylie's not getting one. Wow, wouldn't know whether to accept it or not! Trust me, I'm not ready for that. Maybe in a year or so.

Back on the Thanksgiving subject, after a year this is the first time our parents have met. And that will be happening tomorrow. Cross your fingers, guys.

Hmm Bill, wasn't aware of that bit of trivia. I've avoided both of those days for years, though.

Boxing Day is a holiday up here. (Dec. 26) At one point, the stores were closed and it was illegal to open, but turned out that stores made so much that it was worth it to pay the fine.

It used to be that just that day is busy. Now it's the whole week.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast