+ Reply to Thread

Thread: outlook express question

outlook express question

if i compact an email folder in outlook express and i save it on a zip disk, and if i ever wanted to restore that email or get an email that i saved, how do i do that?

anyone? anyone?

this is apparently a stumper of a question. it stumped the mods and now it's gotten 22 views in general and still no answer.

does anyone here use outlook express? do you save your mail somewhere other than in folders within our OE? do you compress your files and save them on your harddrive or on a disk or something?

cracks me up...

Sorry no one seems able to help, Sher. For people who are obviously able to use computers, we appear to perhaps be computer illiterate.
    I'm sure someone will wander by at some point who knows the answer.
    But if you've saved an email to a zip drive, can't you just unzip it, or whatever, and there it is? I think I downloaded a zip file once and had to also download software to unzip it.
    Ok, I'm no help. But I feel sorry for you, if it's any consolation.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Not sure if this will be of any help since I'm no Bill Gates either. But, whenever I need to save an email, I just copy to disc and then later when I need it, I simply copy and paste.

when you read the help in OE on how to save the files as backup, it tells you to go to file, then to compact files (which just compresses them), then to go to the file and save it wherever you want to.

it's not like i lost any emails or whatever that i needed, i just want to know how to save my files in a simple way... as there are a TON of emails i have which fill my box quickly. i guess i was kinda wondering if anyone knew the easiest, suggested procedure to do this in outlook express.

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    this is apparently a stumper of a question. it stumped the mods and now it's gotten 22 views in general and still no answer.

does anyone here use outlook express? do you save your mail somewhere other than in folders within our OE? do you compress your files and save them on your harddrive or on a disk or something?

cracks me up...

Sher...

The process of "compacting" under OE is a compression process that reduces the size of the folder and/or the messages that are contained within that folder.

Zipping this directory/folder would be an additional compression of the file.

You can us PKZip or some other zip program to "zip" the folder and copy it to another disk, floppy (really small), CD-W, DVD, or JAZZ or ZIP drive.

The recovery process would be the opposite of the compression. (UNZIP, add the folder back into OE) OE knows how to extract individual messages in the folder when you would like to read them.

BM
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

+ Reply to Thread